Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-29-2007   #1
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default How Many Offensive Linemen Will the Texans Keep?

Consider the possibility that if the Texans keep four running backs in addition to the plethora of defensive backs they kept last year, it seems likely that the Texans will again keep only 9 linemen this year. Even if they do take ten, who will make the cut?

I see Spencer placed on the PUP list. I think this means the Texans don't count him towards their roster total, but offhand, I can't remember.

I see these guys as the starting five: Salaam, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, and Winston. That leaves five players more they can keep. McKinney, Black, Frye, Herrion, Hodgdon, Lucas, Tupola, Studdard, and Scott Jackson.

Of these, it makes sense to me that Frye, McKinney, and Black are the backups. Black was brought in as a backup, and McKinney is an obvious swing vet. Frye I see as a special teams player this year while he is groomed to compete with Spencer for the LT spot next year. This leaves one or two roster spots left.

Studdard/Tupola/Lucas/Frye are all potential practice squad kids, but the Texans only have eight roster spots on the practice squad, and other players to put on the list (e.g., Zabransky). I don't see all three linemen (assuming Frye stays on the active roster) being put on the squad. Since Studdard is well-known to and liked by Kubiak, and Lucas is a center, Tupola could be the odd-man out.

I think Hodgdon is out of here. He just hasn't panned out as well as the Texans hoped, and they already have two other backup centers if you count Lucas.

Herrion and Jackson could be fighting for that last roster spot, if it is reduced to nine. I know nothing about these guys that has not been given to me by the Houston Texans. The obvious interesting factoid is that Jackson is a "swing" player.

Unless I missed something (a definite possibility), that leaves the Texans line looking like this:

Active: Black, Frye, Flanagan, Jackson, McKinney, Pitts, Salaam, Weary, Winston

PUP: Spencer

Practice Squad: Studdard, Lucas
Old 06-29-2007   #2
real

Default Re: How Many Offensive Linemen Will the Texans Keep?

This honestly is the first I'm hearing about Scott Jackson...

I think you've just about nailed it though...

Good post...
Old 06-29-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

They've been giving Hodgdon some time at guard in the OTA's. I'm pretty sure he's gone.

Unless something bizarre happens, I expect

Tackles: Salaam, Black, Winston, and Frye.
Guards: Pitts, Weary, McKinney
Center: Flanagan

With Black being a backup guard and McKinney being the backup center.

I will not be surprised by Spencer being IR'd.

That leaves one more spot for either a guard or center and I think it's going to come down to TC. Between Jackson, Brisiel, Studdard, Tuvola, and Lucas. I think Lucas definitely goes to PS unless there's an emergency or he plays lights out during TC. My feeling is that Studdard gets that last spot but that's not based on anything and I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.

I know some people were talking about Studdard possibly being looked at as a center. Has anyone heard any more about that?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were any of these guys who got cut, I would not wander too far from my telephone due to Mr. Injury Bug.
Old 06-29-2007   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I see Spencer placed on the PUP list. I think this means the Texans don't count him towards their roster total, but offhand, I can't remember.
A player on the PUP list must be on the 53 man roster after the final preseason cut date. He then can be moved to the PUP list, and another player can take his place on the roster.

Once on the PUP list for the regular season, the player can't be activated for the first 6 weeks.
Old 06-29-2007   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
A player on the PUP list must be on the 53 man roster after the final preseason cut date. He then can be moved to the PUP list, and another player can take his place on the roster.

Once on the PUP list for the regular season, the player can't be activated for the first 6 weeks.
Could they place Spencer on the PUP list, carry an extra RB (say Darius Walker) so that he wouldn't have to go through waivers, and then just deactivate him so that he'd still be a Texan ?

I ask because I've been hearing a lot of posters saying if Walker is put on the PS he wouldn't clear waivers...
Old 06-29-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Could they place Spencer on the PUP list, carry an extra RB (say Darius Walker) so that he wouldn't have to go through waivers, and then just deactivate him so that he'd still be a Texan ?

I ask because I've been hearing a lot of posters saying if Walker is put on the PS he wouldn't clear waivers...
No. When you deactivate him, you've got to waive him and the re-sign him to the PS. If we're not planning on keeping him and we don't think he's going to clear waivers, we're going to have to find a way to deal him.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read