Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-29-2007   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Europe to close

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl...?urn=nfl,37603

This hasn't been announced anywhere but yahoo. I don't see how they're losing money so I'm going to assume this is just another one of Cole's inflated reports.

If this IS true then what's to become of the players out there? Will the NFL allow us to increase the sizes of our rosters in order to accomodate these people?
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Europe to close

They mentioned it on All Access on the NFLN, too.

And I would imagine that all those players just get cut loose.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

And the NFL wants to waste one of our games over there, not to mention that they are trying hard to establish an NFL league someplace overseas. GO FIGURE!! GREED will come back to bite them in the butt!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kind of confused too She. I thought NFLE was doing well enough. What they should've done is had the games better covered over here for those of us starved foootball fans here...it'd beat AFL and we might get a shot at seeing a few of our prospects. Not sure about the merchandizing that the NFL craves went over well in Europe though and that was it's ultimate undoing most likely.

Confuses me as well since they seem bent on taking a game or two overseas.I thought that'd help NFL Europe too.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #5
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

since NFL Europe is closing why dont they just have a minor league system here in the states?

I guess there would be issues, such as wether the minor league system would run at the same time as the NFL or during the off-season, but i cant think of why a farm system couldnt work in football like it does in baseball. If that was the case maybe they would expand the draft to include prospects to fill up the minor league ranks.

just a thought. it is the off season afterall.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
And the NFL wants to waste one of our games over there, not to mention that they are trying hard to establish an NFL league someplace overseas. GO FIGURE!! GREED will come back to bite them in the butt!!
I agree with you 100%.

What concerns me even more about the greed factor is the future of pay-per-view games, especially if they try this with the playoffs. Obviously we're not there, yet, but I think it's just a matter of time with these greedy people.
Old 06-29-2007   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn that's sad, lots of jobs lost over there.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2007   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: NFL Europe to close

A) open doors to Cuban's league

B) GGRRR!
Quote:
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) -- The NFL folded its development league in Europe after 15 years Friday, calling the decision a sound business move that will allow for a stronger international focus on regular-season games outside the United States
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #9
DCSaints_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree with you 100%.

What concerns me even more about the greed factor is the future of pay-per-view games, especially if they try this with the playoffs. Obviously we're not there, yet, but I think it's just a matter of time with these greedy people.
I'd love pay-per view (assuming its somethign reasonable). It woudl avoid being forced to subscribe to DirecTV or hang out in a sports bar.
DCSaints_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
A) open doors to Cuban's league

B) GGRRR!
first thing that popped into my mind. In Europe the league took nothing away from NFL USA. Arena football is not even a bump in the path of the NFL juggernaut. If it becomes one, expect a buy out.
Old 06-29-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSaints_fan View Post
I'd love pay-per view (assuming its somethign reasonable). It woudl avoid being forced to subscribe to DirecTV or hang out in a sports bar.
Unless it's pay-per-view for playoff games. That would just suck.

As far as NFLE...honestly, I've always thought it hard to watch, so could never really get into it.
Old 06-29-2007   #12
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
That's actually a pretty good idea. Guys could rehab there after injuries, talent can be scoped, Ricky Williams and other sanctioned guys could get punished there and we'd get football all year long!

Rep to you.

well if it the minor league schedule was set up to run in the NFL off-season, they would have to make some time for minor league guys to heal if they were to be called up to the big league.

maybe an overlapping schedule, so the minor league guys would have enough time to rest and heal before NFL OTAs and training camp. There all ready pushing the atheletes with these new thursday games imo, so i think a little off-season rest would be a good idea.
Old 06-29-2007   #13
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Agreed. So....give them some rest and put football back on before March Madness hits.

great! I can live with that. What would be better then football AND march madness?

are you listening NFL???
Old 06-29-2007   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree with you 100%.

I forgot about the threat of PPV games! That would really s*ck!!! Bet ya one thing for sure. If the NFL is determined to stage a game or two in Europe, you can bet your sweet pahouchy they will succeed. Maybe the NFL instigated the closure. Take NFLE away and then bring on the BIG BOYS of the NFL. Knock um off their seats with the BIG SHOW!! Start some big time marketing, prizes, cheap seats, whatever it takes to stimlulate interest, and then slam um with playoff quality teams! It ain't over guys. This is just the beginning.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Yep. And it won't surprise me if they turn our 4th pre-season game into the 17th regular season game, but instead of us getting an extra home game every other year, they export all the 17th games throughout the regular season.
Old 06-29-2007   #16
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

my problem with NFL Europe was that it was hard to pick a favorite and follow it. When we sent players over there, they would be split up to the different teams. Even if a player went back to play for a 2nd or 3rd year, there was no guarantee that they would play for the same team they played for the previous seasons.
Old 06-30-2007   #17
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I'm kind of confused too She. I thought NFLE was doing well enough. What they should've done is had the games better covered over here for those of us starved foootball fans here...it'd beat AFL and we might get a shot at seeing a few of our prospects. Not sure about the merchandizing that the NFL craves went over well in Europe though and that was it's ultimate undoing most likely.

Confuses me as well since they seem bent on taking a game or two overseas.I thought that'd help NFL Europe too.
Well, I guess if you want to have the games better covered for people here starved for football, then why don't they just have the damn thing here? What difference would it make whether they played in Frankfurt, Germany or Birmingham or San Antonio or Oklahoma City? Actually the difference would be that you would get better coverage.

Screw overseas. Bring it back home and have it in cities like the ones mentioned. Maybe Los Angeles could finally get a football team.

I think a spring developmental league in smaller market cities that don't have an NFL team like Louisville, San Antonio, OKC, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, San Jose, hell even Monterrey, Mexico, could be very successful.

It could also squash any hope of a rival league starting up, in case someone like Mark Cuban got an itch.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Well, I guess if you want to have the games better covered for people here starved for football, then why don't they just have the damn thing here? What difference would it make whether they played in Frankfurt, Germany or Birmingham or San Antonio or Oklahoma City? Actually the difference would be that you would get better coverage.

Screw overseas. Bring it back home and have it in cities like the ones mentioned. Maybe Los Angeles could finally get a football team.

I think a spring developmental league in smaller market cities that don't have an NFL team like Louisville, San Antonio, OKC, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, San Jose, hell even Monterrey, Mexico, could be very successful.

It could also squash any hope of a rival league starting up, in case someone like Mark Cuban got an itch.

Actually i think you're right. You could bring some mid market teams areas into the fold. It'd give some people in other outlying areas someone to cheer for like baseball has done.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007   #19
GermanTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 23 GermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of Famer

I am just sad and disappointed about this decision...
Now I just can sit down and watch TV... No chance to go to rheinenergy stadium in Cologne and have a nice football party...
I cant say any more...
I cant believe itīs over...

I wont use any smiley, cause there is no one, which could emote...
Old 06-30-2007   #20
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTexan View Post
I am just sad and disappointed about this decision...
Now I just can sit down and watch TV... No chance to go to rheinenergy stadium in Cologne and have a nice football party...
I cant say any more...
I cant believe itīs over...

I wont use any smiley, cause there is no one, which could emote...
im sorry, from what ive heard football is actually getting quite following in Germany. Perhaps a league could start on its own over there, independent of the NFL, like how European basketball leagues have. I suppose it would be hard initially, but if some rich German guys decided to start teams, there could be an 8 team league operating before too long. Maybe start small and see if it can grow on its own (maybe the NFL would be some sort of affiliate but not actually run the entire thing on its own).

It would also open up Europe more to the draft. Maybe it would be possible to draft European prospects and bring them over a year later? I dont see anything wrong with expanding the pool of football talent either, could be good for the game, and maybe even allow an expansion of the league to canada and mexico (more talent to go around so the league wouldnt get too diluted). maybe im just grabbing a loose straws here, but i think between a minor league system here and an international system in Europe football could be improved, in exposure and in the ability to cure the "football itch".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read