Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-29-2007   #41
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JOHNSON THROWING CARR UNDER BUS - Texans Chick hits the bigtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
The one real flaw I saw in David Carr was that he did not stand up to Caper's and tell him how he wanted to play the game. He did exactly what he was told, and as we all know, that did not work out.
If you are right it explains something that I read after season 3. Carr went into Capers office and told him he was being sacked too many times and something needed to be done. My first thought was, it took Carr 3 years to figure that out and/or say it?

Carr will continually struggle if he doesn't step up and take ownership. Waiting for a coach too improve his career is just backwards thinking if you ask me.

IMO, players make coaches, not the other way around.

It is very rare that a coach can duplicate the same success at the NFL level (like winning Super Bowls) with completely different players.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #42
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carr will continually struggle if he doesn't step up and take ownership. Waiting for a coach too improve his career is just backwards thinking if you ask me.
That's why I think QBs who do good on the big stage in college are better prospects .... they've battled other top prospects . If they were meek they would'nt make it

Montana led ND back in the Cotton Bowl .
Moon Rose Bowl MVP
Steve Young NCAA Champ BYU
VY NCAA champ
Leinert NCAA champ
Kosar NCAA champ
Manning P. SEC QB
Elway Pac 10
Brady Big 10 QB
there's more but you get the drift .

I know there's your Phil Simms of the world ... Morehouse St. He's the exception .
Old 06-29-2007   #43
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Carr went into Capers office and told him he was being sacked too many times and something needed to be done.
My first thought is: The coaching staff then demonstrated their brilliance by "improving" the line with Victor Riley.
Old 06-29-2007   #44
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
My first thought is: The coaching staff then demonstrated their brilliance by "improving" the line with Victor Riley.
With free agency and short rookie contracts, it's hard to assemble an All-Pro offensive line over an extended period time.

Carr was in no worse position than most other QBs in the league. Sure the line was marginal, but he still had AJ and Davis was a good runner in spurts. With that, Carr still struggled and never ran a potent offense that would scare defensive coordinators.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #45
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr went into Capers office and ask him to give him the chance to call some of his own plays. He was reading the defense and wanted to adjust accordingly. He was told to do as he was told, that he would be benched if he did not use the play that was called. The one time Carr changed the play from what Capers called was in the Titan game 2005, I think, could be wrong about that, and he got benched. Capers was hell bent on doing things his way, PERIOD!! PLEASE don't start the I LOVE CARR crap. I'm just posting some stuff now that I knew back then. David tried a lot harder to change what was going on than any of you want to give him credit. I totally agree with Hollywood, David needed to step up and take ownership, and he didn't do that. A lot of that was due to David's respect for THEIR leadership. The first couple of years he was a young kid trying to learn the in's and out's of the NFL, and Capers and Co came highly regarded for an expansion team. After that the team was slowly disintergrating due to crappy coaching anyway. YES, David was at fault for a lot of things, so lets not repeat all of that. I just don't think many of you know how hard that boy really tried to change things, nor how frustrated he got because his hands were tied. I believe the last couple of years showed just how frustrated he became. The bottom line, it was time for a change, for everyone concerned.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #46
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
With free agency and short rookie contracts, it's hard to assemble an All-Pro offensive line over an extended period time.

Carr was in no worse position than most other QBs in the league. Sure the line was marginal, but he still had AJ and Davis was a good runner in spurts. With that, Carr still struggled and never ran a potent offense that would scare defensive coordinators.
So you thought Victor Riley was a good move, or do you just want to keep talking about Carr? Riley was bad independent of the QB.

Asking for something better than Victor Riley is hardly demanding an all Pro line. They played him in front of Wand, who in 2004 had better numbers than new Texan fan favorite Jordan Black had last year, and when that didn't work they played him at guard in front of Weary. Too bad neither Seth nor Fred got any development time during that lost season because Joe Pendry had to make room for Riley.
Old 06-29-2007   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carr went into Capers office and ask him to give him the chance to call some of his own plays. He was reading the defense and wanted to adjust accordingly. He was told to do as he was told, that he would be benched if he did not use the play that was called. The one time Carr changed the play from what Capers called was in the Titan game 2005, I think, could be wrong about that, and he got benched. Capers was hell bent on doing things his way, PERIOD!! PLEASE don't start the I LOVE CARR crap. I'm just posting some stuff now that I knew back then. David tried a lot harder to change what was going on than any of you want to give him credit. I totally agree with Hollywood, David needed to step up and take ownership, and he didn't do that. A lot of that was due to David's respect for THEIR leadership. The first couple of years he was a young kid trying to learn the in's and out's of the NFL, and Capers and Co came highly regarded for an expansion team. After that the team was slowly disintergrating due to crappy coaching anyway. YES, David was at fault for a lot of things, so lets not repeat all of that. I just don't think many of you know how hard that boy really tried to change things, nor how frustrated he got because his hands were tied. I believe the last couple of years showed just how frustrated he became. The bottom line, it was time for a change, for everyone concerned.
If we just had a rewind button . Bob Mcnair stars in Click ... I'll hire Kubiak since I'm going QB with the first pick . You got that ____ ( insert GM of your choice here ) ?

Oh yea ... how do you know all this ?
Old 06-29-2007   #48
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
So you thought Victor Riley was a good move, or do you just want to keep talking about Carr? Riley was bad independent of the QB.

Asking for something better than Victor Riley is hardly demanding an all Pro line. They played him in front of Wand, who in 2004 had better numbers than new Texan fan favorite Jordan Black had last year, and when that didn't work they played him at guard in front of Weary. Too bad neither Seth nor Fred got any development time during that lost season because Joe Pendry had to make room for Riley.
I often wonder if ...

1. The Texans gave up on the offense really quick and just focused on the defense .

2. They were stupid .
Old 06-29-2007   #49
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I often wonder if ...

1. The Texans gave up on the offense really quick and just focused on the defense .

2. They were stupid .

I'll go with 2. Maybe not stupid, but politically motivated, mean spirited, and incompetent in the jobs they were in. (I guess I didn't go with 2).

I think the single person who had the biggest negative impact on the Texans franchise in its short history was Joe Pendry. By far.
Old 06-29-2007   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I'll go with 2. Maybe not stupid, but politically motivated, mean spirited, and incompetent in the jobs they were in. (I guess I didn't go with 2).

I think the single person who had the biggest negative impact on the Texans franchise in its short history was Joe Pendry. By far.
Did they bring in Riley after they went after Pace ? When was Wade signed ?

I think Riley was the least talented player on the OL that we had . Then they put him at LT . It seemed like they had some internal battles and just signed someone .
Old 06-29-2007   #51
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Did they bring in Riley after they went after Pace ? When was Wade signed ?

I think Riley was the least talented player on the OL that we had . Then they put him at LT . It seemed like they had some internal battles and just signed someone .
Wade was signed the previous year I think. Riley after they didn't get Pace.
Old 06-29-2007   #52
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
It seems part of the brass wanted Wand . If you can get Pace then Wand waits his turn but if you don't get Pace Wand's your starter . I guess someone did'nt like that .
Old 06-29-2007   #53
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh yea ... how do you know all this ?
Not in the mood for further sarcasm, so I'll just keep that to myself.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #54
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Not in the mood for further sarcasm, so I'll just keep that to myself.
That's not a fair question .

There's a guy CT CSTM who gives updates on Charles Spencer every once in awhile ... says he's his friend ... no big deal .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 06-29-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #55
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to dwell on DC, but I think the inaugural season's 70+ sacks ruined the rookie QB's psyche. That was brutal, and he never seemed quite the same after that point. Mix in some horrendous coaching for another few years, and we arrive at the present.

I honestly hope the Carolina bench does him some good, but I think he's damaged goods from a mental standpoint. Of course I wish him well as an original Texan.

And not comparing the two QBs and their skills, but I think we'll have better luck with our current situation simply because we have a head coach that will be able to recognize potential and developing problems much better than the previous staff. More importantly than comparing player to player is comparing coaches to coaches. These guys can make or break young players, and I think DC (along with some others) is case in point.
Old 06-29-2007   #56
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Not to dwell on DC, but I think the inaugural season's 70+ sacks ruined the rookie QB's psyche. That was brutal, and he never seemed quite the same after that point. Mix in some horrendous coaching for another few years, and we arrive at the present.

I honestly hope the Carolina bench does him some good, but I think he's damaged goods from a mental standpoint. Of course I wish him well as an original Texan.

And not comparing the two QBs and their skills, but I think we'll have better luck with our current situation simply because we have a head coach that will be able to recognize potential and developing problems much better than the previous staff. More importantly than comparing player to player is comparing coaches to coaches. These guys can make or break young players, and I think DC (along with some others) is case in point.
I think Carr and Big Ben are a lot alike . One got a huge break , the other thought he was lucky .
Old 06-29-2007   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
time will tell we could have given up 2 1st rounders for Pace

no telling what St Louis would have done but for us would be giving up Mario and Okoye

time will tell if those two > 28 year old(if I remember correctly) Pace

*edit* nevermind

chips fall where they fall we wouldn't have drafted until 3rd round this year due to Schaub trade

I like Carr but I don't really know if one person (pace) could have made a difference to Carr's psych, IMO at least not in a Texan uniform

hmm
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #58
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

DC would have been best served if he'd been drafted by an established team that could let him get used to the game for 2-3 years before starting (ala Steve McNair). Throwing him to the wolves behind a new, untested line was a dumb coaching decision. We should have let an old veteran get beat up a couple of years before starting a rookie.

And it's not necessarily 20/20 hindsight, because I remember it being a topic of discussion among fans back then. Some would bring up Aikman as an example, but he wasn't on an expansion team so it doesn't compare.
Old 06-29-2007   #59
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be curious to know if Capers handled his other QB's the same way. Did Kerry Collins have his hands tied without the ability to audible while playing for Capers in Carolina, or did he just suddenly become the world's worst coach and a tyrant?
Old 06-29-2007   #60
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
DC would have been best served if he'd been drafted by an established team that could let him get used to the game for 2-3 years before starting (ala Steve McNair). Throwing him to the wolves behind a new, untested line was a dumb coaching decision. We should have let an old veteran get beat up a couple of years before starting a rookie.

And it's not necessarily 20/20 hindsight, because I remember it being a topic of discussion among fans back then. Some would bring up Aikman as an example, but he wasn't on an expansion team so it doesn't compare.
true and minnesota and that deal just....well won't comment on the desperate times minnesota had
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read