Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-25-2007   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How Important is the WR Position?

This was being discussed over at the Texans FanBlog (chron.com) and I thought it would kill some time while we're waiting on training camp.

Looking at that list of FA WR's (where there appears to be some talent that the team could use) got me thinking about the position and its importance. We've been hearing all offseason about the the concerns at the position with the Texans, but I don't believe that anyone (fans) really understands how critical it is to the offense.

We see teams like Indianapolis, Detroit, Cincinnati and Arizona and assume that our WR corp should match with their's. The fact of the matter is that WR is one of the least important positions on the field. Proof of this can be found by looking at the average pay for players at the position. WR's are the lowest paid players on the field on average. Then take a look at some of the best teams over the past decade or so and you will see that a lot of them had what would be perceived underwhelming talent.

New England started Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney last year and were one the 4 best teams in the league. In their championship years they started Troy Patten and David Givens. Now that those guys have moved on we can see how good they really are. Philadelphia had some very good teams with Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. Can anyone remember a single receiver from Baltimore's Super Bowl team (Jermaine Lewis doesn't count)? Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl with Hines Ward and a bunch of no-names unless you include Randle El who showed his true colors last season with Washington.

If Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak believe that our WR corp is good-to-go I will trust their judgement. I would rather go into the season with a few unproven guys than take another chance on a guy like Moulds who we lost a draft pick on and are paying $4 million for this year even though he's on the street.

Eric Moulds/UFA
Antonio Bryant/UFA
Keenan McCardell/UFA
Corey Bradford/UFA
Peter Warrick/UFA
Charles Rogers/UFA
Tyrone Calico/UFA
Troy Brown/UFA
Kevin Johnson/UFA
Alex Bannister/UFA
Todd Pinkston/UFA
Randy Hymes/UFA
Patrick Johnson/UFA
Marc Boerigter/UFA
Derick Armstrong/UFA
Rashaun Woods/UFA
Scottie Vines/UFA
Eddie Berlin/UFA
John Stone/UFA
Jerome Pathon/UFA
Terrence Wilkins/UFA
Lee Mays/UFA
Willie Ponder/UFA
Dez White/UFA
Michael Lewis/UFA
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #2
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP
Default Re: How Important is the WR Position?

I think what your saying is mostly true, but a really elite WR can put a ton of pressure on a defense. Guys like Steve Smith, Randy Moss (when he was in minnesota), and Marvin Harrison really open up an offense and put a lot of pressure on the secondary. Also, a good WR can dominate a game completely, but can also be total non-factors (santana moss is a good example of boom or bust, as all fantasy players know).

but are good WRs neccessary for titles? youve already answered that one
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #3
real

Good post
Old 06-25-2007   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We can't rely on getting a guy late in FA IMO. The guys we have behind AJ are going to have to make some plays and step up.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

It really depends on the offense. The Steelers and Ravens didn't need elite WRs because they just ran the ball down your throat the whole time.

Now, a Mike Martz style offense needs as many WRs as possible.

So either you need great WRs (Colts, Rams)

Or a great RB (Chargers, Ravens, Steelers)
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to get a cheap veteran guy for insurance.

You never know what you are going to get until you get them playing for real. A guy who looks like a route running fool in practice may not look the same on game day. Young receivers can make an offense look stupid.
Old 06-25-2007   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I said earlier this year that Owen Daniels could step up and be all this team needs for a #2 receiving option. More than a few teams get by with a stud TE and no one else; we have a stud WR and a TE that could develop into something special. If KW or JJ step up, great. If not, it's a position that can be addressed in the next year or two.
Old 06-26-2007   #8
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I said earlier this year that Owen Daniels could step up and be all this team needs for a #2 receiving option. More than a few teams get by with a stud TE and no one else; we have a stud WR and a TE that could develop into something special. If KW or JJ step up, great. If not, it's a position that can be addressed in the next year or two.
I agree. I think Owen Daniels will step up this year and be a big option in the offense. I actually think Jones may pass up Walter for the number 2, but we will see come training camp. OD already showed signs of rookie greatness before he got injured late in the season.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most teams need one pro bowl type 1,000yds receiver. AJ is ours. You need an offense that takes some pressure off the #1 WR. We did not have that for most of the season. Kubes thinks we do this season. Our TEs should be solid and more valuable this season. We have Dayne again but Green can run and catch (should be a major plus). A non dazed QB should be a positive. We should score a few more points, but my optimism in increasing our Ws is in the defense. Even so, at present we have two glaring holes, FS and CB.
Old 06-26-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I've asked this in another thread and no one responed, but here goes... What is Andre Davis going to be doing, and why isnt he mentioned in receiver talk???
Old 06-26-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I've asked this in another thread and no one responed, but here goes... What is Andre Davis going to be doing, and why isnt he mentioned in receiver talk???
Davis is in a make it or break it year for his career. He should be a cheap addition if he makes the squad. My understanding is few think he makes the roster.
Old 06-26-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's really going to have to step up. If he can get the job done, great. I haven't heard anything about how he's been looking so far. We'll have to wait for TC to really see where he's at.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks guys...
Old 06-26-2007   #14
real

Quote:
I think Andre Davis will be cut.
Old 06-26-2007   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

How good is Andre Davis really?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

By the way, isn't Keenan supposed to decide very shortly where he's gonna play?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go check over in HT.com but if I recall correctly, there's been some discussion in their news that he's had some difficulty acclimating to training in the heat. Now if someone is a good receiver, hopefully that won't be an issue against him because typically the Texans play pretty much in room temperature.
Old 06-26-2007   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
By the way, isn't Keenan supposed to decide very shortly where he's gonna play?
The general discussion of this is that he is an old guy and might want to wait awhile to figure out where he goes because he knows how to be a receiver.

Smith has said he is not likely going to be in the Texans plans, implying that Keenan doesn't want to come here.

The Redskins offered the minimum and I don't know how eager they are to go up.
Old 06-29-2007   #19
nedthehead
Rookie

Not important at all. Don't worry about it one bit.
nedthehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #20
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
This was being discussed over at the Texans FanBlog (chron.com) and I thought it would kill some time while we're waiting on training camp.

Looking at that list of FA WR's (where there appears to be some talent that the team could use) got me thinking about the position and its importance. We've been hearing all offseason about the the concerns at the position with the Texans, but I don't believe that anyone (fans) really understands how critical it is to the offense.

We see teams like Indianapolis, Detroit, Cincinnati and Arizona and assume that our WR corp should match with their's. The fact of the matter is that WR is one of the least important positions on the field. Proof of this can be found by looking at the average pay for players at the position. WR's are the lowest paid players on the field on average. Then take a look at some of the best teams over the past decade or so and you will see that a lot of them had what would be perceived underwhelming talent.

New England started Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney last year and were one the 4 best teams in the league. In their championship years they started Troy Patten and David Givens. Now that those guys have moved on we can see how good they really are. Philadelphia had some very good teams with Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. Can anyone remember a single receiver from Baltimore's Super Bowl team (Jermaine Lewis doesn't count)? Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl with Hines Ward and a bunch of no-names unless you include Randle El who showed his true colors last season with Washington.

If Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak believe that our WR corp is good-to-go I will trust their judgement. I would rather go into the season with a few unproven guys than take another chance on a guy like Moulds who we lost a draft pick on and are paying $4 million for this year even though he's on the street.

Eric Moulds/UFA
Antonio Bryant/UFA
Keenan McCardell/UFA
Corey Bradford/UFA
Peter Warrick/UFA
Charles Rogers/UFA
Tyrone Calico/UFA
Troy Brown/UFA
Kevin Johnson/UFA
Alex Bannister/UFA
Todd Pinkston/UFA
Randy Hymes/UFA
Patrick Johnson/UFA
Marc Boerigter/UFA
Derick Armstrong/UFA
Rashaun Woods/UFA
Scottie Vines/UFA
Eddie Berlin/UFA
John Stone/UFA
Jerome Pathon/UFA
Terrence Wilkins/UFA
Lee Mays/UFA
Willie Ponder/UFA
Dez White/UFA
Michael Lewis/UFA
I may be crazy, but I've always like Calico. I think he has a ton of potential.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read