Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 12-15-2007   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default National Anthem

You know, I get tired of our National Anthem getting butchered at sporting events by people trying to show off their "vocal ability". Kimberly Caldwell's version at the Broncos/Texans game was painful to listen to. Just sing the song the way it was written. Anything else is a travesty and a disgrace to the Anthem.

Dr. Z wrote about it in response to a reader as well:

Quote:
From Tony B. of San Antonio: "Haven't heard a word about national anthems this year. What's the longest you've timed so far, and how'd you like it?" The longest, in fact the longest I've timed in the last 20 years, was the most recent one, in Houston, at the Broncos-Texans game. I was watching the pregame, and during one of Adam Schefter's on the field reports, you could hear this lady practicing the anthem in the background. "Uh oh," I said to myself, "It's a blockbuster and I missed the start." Not to worry. They presented it in its entirety, for real, later on. "Houston's own" Kimberly Caldwell, an American Idol finalist, mooing and hooing and groaning through 2:19.09. For those of you who keep splits, she hit the turn ("Rockets red glare") in 58.4, reached Heartbreak Hill ("O say does tha-at star spangled ba-a-ner-er ye-et wa-ave") in 1.28.2, which is sub-two minute pace, but slowed to a crawl on the hill. The time was 19 seconds and change short of my all time record. How was it? As dismal as it gets, man. Even worse.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #2
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: National Anthem

I felt sorry for my Marine buddy sitting next to me, he has to stand at attention through the whole thing.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I like how they do national anthems at soccer games in the UK where the whole stadium sings the song.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at a sports bar and couldn't hear it. But I did see it and it was fantastic.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay dude, I think you're being a little harsh. "Travesty?" Dang. Some artist who impart their own "touches" to the anthem doesn't really bother me. Marvin Gaye's version of the anthem at that Laker game was beautiful.
Consider something. We didn't actually HAVE a national anthem until Ripley's Believe it or Not (in the early 1900s) posted the fact that we were the only nation that DIDN'T have one. We took a long poem written by an Englishman and set it to an old Irish drinking song and presto we had a national anthem.
My only problem with Ms. Underwoods redition of the anthem was she seemed to milk it. Slowed it down to a crawl. People are going to have to come to terms that the rendition of the anthem that Whitney Houston did at the Superbowl was a once in a lifetime thing.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #6
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really liked Ozzy when he did Take me out to the ball game. Clasic
Old 12-15-2007   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I like how they do national anthems at soccer games in the UK where the whole stadium sings the song.
International games only right?

Personally I think it's a little bit over the edge to fire off the national anthem at every sports event. Personally
Old 12-15-2007   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

In my meaningless opinion, I thought Marvin's version was horrible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A&NR=1 I'm probably in the minority there, though, even though I'm a big Marvin fan.

Whitney's version was tremendous because it was virtually "as written", at a reasonable tempo, WITH THE CORRECT LYRICS (it's not "or the ramparts" and "or the land of the free"), and with a 64-piece orchestra backing her.

Singing a capella is an especially wrong time to add your own "touches". I guess it just irks me because I'm a musician, traditionalist, and a veteran, but still - I hate it being changed. Maybe I'll submit a demo to the entertainment director and just do it right myself.
Old 12-15-2007   #9
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
I really liked Ozzy when he did Take me out to the ball game. Clasic
Totally classic... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdwOoinuJi0

"Now let's get some runs. Let's get some runs guys."
Old 12-15-2007   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I was at a sports bar and couldn't hear it.
You're the lucky one !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #11
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. I'm embarrassed by this thread. I'm sure others in the military past or present might be as well. If 2 1/2 minutes are too long for you to take out of your day to ...... oh screw it.
Old 12-15-2007   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm all for free speech but I think it should be both ways. If you want to say something to me that offends me, then I should have the right to beat the crap out of you. If you decide not to stand during the National Anthem as a right to free speech, then I should have the right to whap you upside your head. Alas, I'm in the minority on this opinion.

Also, I just wanted to say, I enjoyed the National Anthem this time. I'm one of those weird people who like to sing along during the National Anthem and if the singer gets to personal with "Their" rendition, it screws it up for me.

The guys did a good job Sunday. The range wasn't too broad and they didn't hold the notes too long.
This was my post on standing for the National Anthem. Figured I'd just quote myself, no need to write a bunch of the same stuff again.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

For a little prospective . . .

Carrie Underwood

Marvin Gaye

Faith Hill

And my all time favorite
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #14
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I served my country for six years, war time and peace time, and it still gives me chills everytime as I hear the last words of the anthem conclude. A travesty, it will never be...now Roseanne Barr's version was travesty.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #15
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
Wow. I'm embarrassed by this thread. I'm sure others in the military past or present might be as well. If 2 1/2 minutes are too long for you to take out of your day to ...... oh screw it.

It was not the length of time it took her to sing the song, not entirely anyway, but she was AWFUL!! I LOVE hearing the Nat anthum sang, by someone who knows HOW to sing it, this chick did not!! No wonder she didn't get any further on Amer Idol than she did. This is JUST MY OPINION only!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
Well said! Rep your way!!!!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #17
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Carrie Underwood's was damn near perfect. One of the best a capella versions ever.
Old 12-15-2007   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to like the differing versions of the anthem as long as the words aren't butchered. To me it shows the greatness and individuality of America......it represents America to me as far as I'm concerned.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
International games only right?

Personally I think it's a little bit over the edge to fire off the national anthem at every sports event. Personally
I agree.

I don't want to turn this political but I think a lot of the rah-rah, nationalist symbolism is really vain and futile.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #20
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

She wasn't that bad.
TEXANSTAILGATER is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read