Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-25-2007   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fox Sports article on Jacoby Jones

Nothing really surprising. Gives some insight, though, on where JJ is from an acclimation standpoint. Lots of potential. Ways to go yet, though.

"Just looking at him, he has a lot of talent," [Andre'] Johnson said. "He definitely wants to get out there and play, but right now he is just going through a learning process where he's trying to learn everything."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRep...pe=InsideSlant
Old 06-25-2007   #2
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP
Default Re: Fox Sports article on Jacoby Jones

i guess he's getting a little attention. I like the pick a lot but it seems more like a couple year project guy then someone who can step in right away.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I like everything that I have heard about him.. Not to sure I like what I have heard from him.... Sounds a little too Chad Johnson for me. But then again, who cares - if he can perform??
Old 06-25-2007   #4
real

Chad Johnson is the man.
Old 06-25-2007   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"The largest crowd Jones ever played in front of during college was 7,000 and that was Tuskegee's homecoming game. Lane College's home stadium held just 1,300 fans.

"I can't wait to see that," Jones said. "My flesh will probably be crawling. I can't wait to see that to see what that's like.

"(At Lane) the most we ever get in our stadium was a handful. We played at a high school stadium. Everybody knows everybody's first and last name. If you're cool, you know their middle name."

Can you imagine what this kids BP reading would be in the season-opener in
Reliant against the Chiefs if he gets in the game ? Talk about pumped !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #6
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"The largest crowd Jones ever played in front of during college was 7,000 and that was Tuskegee's homecoming game. Lane College's home stadium held just 1,300 fans.

"I can't wait to see that," Jones said. "My flesh will probably be crawling. I can't wait to see that to see what that's like.

"(At Lane) the most we ever get in our stadium was a handful. We played at a high school stadium. Everybody knows everybody's first and last name. If you're cool, you know their middle name."

Can you imagine what this kids BP reading would be in the season-opener in
Reliant against the Chiefs if he gets in the game ? Talk about pumped !

He'll be even more pumped when he catches his first TD in week one vs. the Chefs and the Texans win the game.

It's gonna happen.
Old 06-25-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Chad Johnson is the man.
He is one of the few that run their mouth - AND BACKS IT UP!! Therefore, I give Chad way more lee-way than a lot of others.
Old 06-25-2007   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He is one of the few that run their mouth - AND BACKS IT UP!! Therefore, I give Chad way more lee-way than a lot of others.
I don't and I'll even agree with you that he "backs it up".

If you run your mouth then you're not my kind of player whether you score three touchdowns or eleven. It makes no difference to me. That you are an asset to the team doesn't change the fact that you're an ass in general.

Now would I want Chad Johnson on my team opposite AJ? Of course I would but here's the catch. Chad Johnson is an egotistical jackass and attention whore BUT he hasn't proven to be a divisive element on his team YET. To date his antics aren't the distraction that TO's are and he doesn't create the negative "vibe" that TO does.

That's why I'd take Chad Johnson (gritting my teeth and avoiding any contact with him all the way) and tell TO "Thanks but no thanks".

I can respect what Chad can do on the field and dislike his persona off of it. To me it lacks dignity and it demonstrates a need for attention that I don't think should be rewarded. Given a choice between a player like him with the antics and one without I take the guy who conducts himself with more dignity and less of a "Look at me!" attitude every single time.
Old 06-25-2007   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't and I'll even agree with you that he "backs it up".

If you run your mouth then you're not my kind of player whether you score three touchdowns or eleven. It makes no difference to me. That you are an asset to the team doesn't change the fact that you're an ass in general.

Now would I want Chad Johnson on my team opposite AJ? Of course I would but here's the catch. Chad Johnson is an egotistical jackass and attention whore BUT he hasn't proven to be a divisive element on his team YET. To date his antics aren't the distraction that TO's are and he doesn't create the negative "vibe" that TO does.

That's why I'd take Chad Johnson (gritting my teeth and avoiding any contact with him all the way) and tell TO "Thanks but no thanks".

I can respect what Chad can do on the field and dislike his persona off of it. To me it lacks dignity and it demonstrates a need for attention that I don't think should be rewarded. Given a choice between a player like him with the antics and one without I take the guy who conducts himself with more dignity and less of a "Look at me!" attitude every single time.
Notice though, I said more "lee-way" - not a free pass. I am a bigger fan of the Earl Campbells of the world that didnt say much and when they score a touchdown, they pitch to the ref - as tough they had been there before...
Old 06-25-2007   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

CJ is one of the most productive WR's in the game and its most vocal, staged stunt man, yet percieved as harmless against the team's recent history. However, it would have been interesting to see if his antics would have been dealt with if not for the back drop of the off-field problems plaguing the Bengals since December 2005.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 06-25-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Kaiser Toro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #11
real

I don't think Chad Johnson is egotistical nor a jackass...

I think all football players are a little cocky...Chad just brings entertainment to the game....He's just being himself...outspoken and funny...

I'm glad a majority of football watchers don't feel the way some of you guys do....
Old 06-25-2007   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I like everything that I have heard about him.. Not to sure I like what I have heard from him.... Sounds a little too Chad Johnson for me.
How so? Jones may be loquacious, but he hasn't acted the fool as Johnson has.

Quote:

I'm glad a majority of football watchers don't feel the way some of you guys do....
How do you presume the sensibilities of most football fans? Did you conduct a poll?
Old 06-25-2007   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How do you presume the sensibilities of most football fans? Did you conduct a poll?
Nope...

I go by the advertisements....

If you aren't liked by a majority of the general population, i.e your face doesn't sell; they aren't going to waste investment dollars using you in marketing...
Old 06-25-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope...

If you aren't liked by a majority of the general population, i.e your face doesn't sell; they aren't going to waste investment dollars using you in marketing...
The point the other side is making is that when entertainment is valued more than what propagates one's entertainment value (the NFL) a team will have locker room issues. My point is that fortunately for CJ his fellow Bengals have provided him cover - right, wrong or indifferent.
Old 06-25-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not sure if most football fans take their cue from Madison Avenue. But the player of choice in endorsements is clearly Peyton Manning. And on the field, Peyton is 100% fluff-free.

What does Chad hawk, anyway?
Old 06-25-2007   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
My point is that fortunately for CJ his fellow Bengals have provided him cover - right, wrong or indifferent.
What if his teammates genuinely think he's a good guy ? What if they just don't mind his antics because they know he brings it on Sundays ?

I've met a couple people who are like Chad--the serious, funny type--who are just good natured people who like to have fun...sports is competitive and the nature of the game is designed to make your opponents look bad. I seriously doubt anyone takes Chad Johnsons antics to heart though.

I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 06-25-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
What if his teammates genuinely think he's a good guy ? What if they just don't mind his antics because they know he brings it on Sundays ?

I've met a couple people who are like Chad--the serious, funny type--who are just good natured people who like to have fun...sports is competitive and the nature of the game is designed to make your opponents look bad. I seriously doubt anyone takes Chad Johnsons antics to heart though.

I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Anyone that has played competitive sports knows these guys exist and there fun to be around and most often they garner results. The issue is when they command a high percentage of a team's cap and do not get results in the post season from a tangible or intangible stand point.

Locker room management in my opinion is the most important skill for a professional coach to learn and Marvin Lewis has his hands full due to his star and the current situation.
Old 06-25-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm not sure if most football fans take their cue from Madison Avenue. But the player of choice in endorsements is clearly Peyton Manning. And on the field, Peyton is 100% fluff-free.

What does Chad hawk, anyway?
Not sure what Peyton has to do with anything...I didn't know this was supposed to be a popularity contest...

But Chad Johnson has been all over NFL network commercials, and also for fat head...he's done other commercials as well that I just can't think of at the moment.

Pretty good article about chad and his personality:

Quote:
"The outside world doesn't know Chad. The outside world only sees a cocky, arrogant, trash-talking receiver that's very, very good.
"But I want people to understand the hard work I put in each week; the hours of watching film; the hours of going over the game plan and sitting in on meetings with coaches. No other player sits up there and goes over the game plan with their coaches on their off days. I wish people would understand I'm not just talk.
"My foundation is right. The thing that's made me successful is all the hard work."
He hasn't been fined for a celebration since pulling a sign from a snow bank during a 2003 game that read, "Dear NFL, please don't fine me again! Merry Christmas."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-feature_x.htm
Old 06-25-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Anyone that has played competitive sports knows these guys exist and there fun to be around and most often they garner results. The issue is when they command a high percentage of a team's cap and do not get results in the post season from a tangible or intangible stand point.

Locker room management in my opinion is the most important skill for a professional coach to learn and Marvin Lewis has his hands full due to his star and the current situation.
If anything, guys in that locker room need to be more like Chad. Marvin has his hands full alright, but it's not because of Chad Johnson.
Old 06-25-2007   #20
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 25997 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think all football players are a little cocky...Chad just brings entertainment to the game....He's just being himself...outspoken and funny...

I agree. I can't believe people are dogging on him here. Chad is the man...
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read