Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-25-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is it strange to you that Reggie Bush is talking ethics to NFL rookies

Reggie Bush and Will Smith will be among the featured speakers this week when the NFL's rookie class gets together for a four-day cram session at the 11th annual rookie symposium.
Off-field conduct is always discussed at length during the symposium. But it will certainly be stressed even more this year, with new Commissioner Roger Goodell's crackdown on such issues.
League spokesman Dan Masonson said Goodell will speak to the rookies and likely take some questions Monday morning.
http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...710.xml&coll=1
This is very wierd to me when you consider that Bush's alma mata USC didn't even want him on the sidelines earlier this year because of the NCAA investigation involving Bush, his family, & agent re his amateur status while at USC. To me its kinda like Paris Hilton given lectures on social conduct ?
If Goodell really wants the NFL to have a squeaker-clean image, what's he doing rolling Bush out to talk ethics/conduct to the leagues latest rookie class ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #2
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is it strange to you that Reggie Bush is talking ethics to NFL rookies

First, Reggie did what every good athlete does in college (get free stuff)

Second, it was his stepdad that did all the crap.

Bush hasn't done anything to hurt the NFL since he has been there, and gives back to his community.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #3
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP
Default Re: Is it strange to you that Reggie Bush is talking ethics to NFL rookies

sure he's been caught up in some stuff but i dont think we have to go out of our way to villify him. Maybe he isnt the cleanest player in the league but its not like he's a total scumbag like pacman.

plus, everyone knows him so it does more for the rooks i guess to have a young stud tell them that stuff. Bush is new orleans, we dont have to hate him until we play them this coming season
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
sure he's been caught up in some stuff but i dont think we have to go out of our way to villify him. Maybe he isnt the cleanest player in the league but its not like he's a total scumbag like pacman.

plus, everyone knows him so it does more for the rooks i guess to have a young stud tell them that stuff. Bush is new orleans, we dont have to hate him until we play them this coming season
1) Reggie Bush isn't a STUD by any stretch of the imagination, both imaginary and statistical

2) Reggie bush is in fact a total scumbag. Free House much?

3)Everyone knows him because ESPN decided it was so.

4) Reggie Bush on ethics has just about as much benefit as George Bush on public speaking.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #5
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
1) Reggie Bush isn't a STUD by any stretch of the imagination, both imaginary and statistical

4) Reggie Bush on ethics has just about as much benefit as George Bush on public speaking.

i didnt mean he's a stud as in he's LaDainian, not even close. Its just EVERYONE knows who he is, mostly because he went to USC and was a part of that insane hype machine, but i really dont think he's as bad as everyone on this board makes him out to be, ethics-wise. (the jury is still out on wether he can be a franchise back or not, cause right now its deuce)

your #4 was pretty funny, but i dont think its THAT bad
Old 06-25-2007   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Spot on SWT..... Spot on!!
Old 06-25-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe he isnt the cleanest player in the league
That's definitely my point here. His background is controversial given the investigation which is still ongoing by the NCAA.
How many players are drafted every year ? 250 or something like that ?
I can think of so many other players who were rookies last year whos character is categorically clean without controversity and nothing but positive vibes.
Just seems odd for Bushs appearance to get the OK by Goodell's office, given what a hard-ass he is on the conduct & image thing of his NFL players ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2007   #8
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
That's definitely my point here. His background is controversial given the investigation which is still ongoing by the NCAA.
How many players are drafted every year ? 250 or something like that ?
I can think of so many other players who were rookies last year whos character is categorically clean without controversity and nothing but positive vibes.
Just seems odd for Bushs appearance to get the OK by Goodell's office, given what a hard-ass he is on conduct & image thing of his NFLs players ?

Bush got the ok because he's reggie bush. He is the golden boy and will always be treated as so. I think they shouldve gotten his rookie teammate Colston, cause more rookies can relate to a late-round guy then they can to a huge college star in reggie bush.

Im just saying he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He's no Tank Johnson or Pacman Jones.
Old 06-25-2007   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bush got the ok because he's reggie bush. He is the golden boy and will always be treated as so. I think they shouldve gotten his rookie teammate Colston, cause more rookies can relate to a late-round guy then they can to a huge college star in reggie bush.

Im just saying he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He's no Tank Johnson or Pacman Jones.
Marc and Andre were talking to Adam Wexler this morning, and they said the same thing...
Old 06-25-2007   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. He's more of a stud that the guy drafted before him.

2. Most elite college guys get free cars, hookers, and drugs

3. There is a trophy that he won, forgot the name.

4. See 1-3
Old 06-25-2007   #11
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post

4. See 1-3

1) Not so much. If you quantify reggie bush's value mathmatically by his VORP (Value over replacement player) in New Orleans, then run Mario Williams through the same numbers in houston, you find that Mario is actually 3.6 percent more valuable to his team at his position then reggie is at his own. I'll break it down if you like, but something tells me math hurts your head

2) Doesn't make it right, or ETHICAL, i.e. discussion of this thread.

3) So did the Legendary Jason White. Twice.

4) I award you no points. At no time during this rambling, incoherent reggie bush love fest did you make any coherent arguements whatsoever. May God have mercy on your soul.

*Edited to add....Im being nice...i didn't even attack the typo in your first "point"

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
Old 06-25-2007   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

4. See 1-3
1. That jury is still out as far as most people are concerned.

2. That's a ringing endorsement. I am sure there a lot of good guys out there that would be insulted by that.

3. The same trophy that Andre Ware, Danny Weurfel, Rashaam Salaam won??

4. See 1-3
Old 06-25-2007   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Don't really care what the VORP is. There is no way that 4.5 sacks is even in the same range as 1200 plus total yards and 9 TDs.

As far as ethics, yeah he did some stupid crap in college, with his family doing worse, but its no unusual for that to happen in college. The charity work he has done since comming to the NFL should wipe that out.

He didn't need ESPN to hype him. Who heard of Mario Williams before ESPN? The man wasn't even the best player on his own D-Line. It wasn't until he got combine warriored up in the hype machine than anyone cared.

swtbound07, I do appreciate the Billy Madison quote though.
Old 06-25-2007   #14
real

I think Reggie is a good candidate for this task. He's popular, well spoken and pretty good charisma....

If their goal is to try and get the incoming rookies to realize that 'thug life' will not be tolerated then I don't see how he's not a good choice...

Reggie isn't a guy that you hear about in the media regarding late night antics, strip club adventures, doing excessive speeds in his Lambo....Basically he hasn't done anything that could jeopordize his Career....

I don't see what's so wrong about Reggie giving some insight about how to conduct yourself as a first year rookie and giving some pittfalls to avoid...even in the article it leads you to believe that they are stressing the importance of staying out of legal drama and bad off-field situations...

Quote:
Off-field conduct is always discussed at length during the symposium. But it will certainly be stressed even more this year, with new Commissioner Roger Goodell's crackdown on such issues.
And I don't think Marques Colston was a better choice...I think someone like Reggie would have more insight because he is much more poplular...so therefore he'd probably have more exsposure to situations and people that could have led him astray...Reggie is a big name guy, and his words on how to conduct yourself as a young rookie coming out will carry more weight than Marques Colston. It's just a lot of paranoid Houston fans that think the 'media' is always pushing Bush to the forefront because of some sick agenda. I don't understand that logic because I can't see why they'd have more stock in Reggie than any other athlete who is immensely popular.

And that little blemish on Reggie's background will probably give him some credibility with the incoming rookies.

Last edited by real; 06-25-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2007   #15
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
I was the Mod for the Saints Black&Gold Nation before it crashed and burned, despite Vinny's valiant efforts to help save it back in 2004. That's how I've come to know you guys and this place. I pulled Vinny in to help me when doom loomed. I ended up staying here because of the good people and friends.

I still know a few people with the Saints. Did it ever occur to anyone that one of the reasons Reggie is doing as much as he can, like this ethics seminar, because he needs to so Goodell doesn't wipe the floor with him for **** that other people did, and benefitted from, while taking advantage and potentially ruining his NFL career??? Or, even better, maybe Reggie isn't a scumbag. Just a kid that people hooked on to in order to better their own lives.
Food for thought, guys.

"You are the master of your own destiny" -fortune cookie i once ate

Soon as i saw your name, I had a feeling you were going to defind the saint...I didn't see him turning down the stuff. He's culpable. I don't buy the naive and innocent schtick. I'm calling him pond scum...charitable work isn't an eraser. Leonard little could rescue orphaned kittens from now unto eternity and he would still suck at life. Pac-man jones is out there supporting single mothers every single night and raining kindness on them, and nobody defends him! Screw reggie bush. He deserves what he gets.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 06-25-2007   #16
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Is it strange to you that Reggie Bush is talking ethics to NFL rookies

Anyone else noticing it's the offseason?

BTW, NFL network RULES! it was weird, watching the games in 1.5 hours. Snap to snap to snap.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #17
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Come on, SWT. Reggie hasn't been sentenced by the Commish. He may never be.
Think about it. You're a stud running back at USC. Your family lives in town. Great. But, you are still the stud at school. How much time did you think he put into details. like that rent? Someone else was handleing business...and badly. But, to say a 19 year old kid engineered a massive scam while being LA's golden boy is like saying I'm a Texan Cheerleader. Pretty far fetched.

And yeah...you know I'm going to defend the Saint. Comes with the territory.

It's like that line from Brokeback Mountain..."I can't quit you." Thinking I can quit the Saints is very unrealistic.
doesn't have to be to be crucified by me

He wasn't a stud at anything. You are also responsible for the people that represent you. Should he have asked how his broke ass parents were living in that big ass house...yeah..i'd imagine it should have sparked a thought in his head. As far as im concerned, Reggie is 1A on the 5 professional athletes that need to be hit by a train list.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 06-25-2007   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First, Reggie did what every good athlete does in college (get free stuff)

Second, it was his stepdad that did all the crap.

Bush hasn't done anything to hurt the NFL since he has been there, and gives back to his community.
I did not know you lived in cali and were at the house and know who did what. I am may not know everything my family does but I can sure bet I would wonder if they started living in a $500,000 home.

Oh yeah and not every person in college does this. Not every great athlete does this. Only people without class not those with it like barry sanders, joe montana, emmitt smith and many more but then you have chris webber and reggie who have none and makes all college athletes look bad.
Old 06-25-2007   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Freshmen entering school on scholarships are made very aware of the rules and what can be deemed as violations. So, as far as RB is concerned - that's no defense for him.
Old 06-25-2007   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Oh yeah and not every person in college does this. Not every great athlete does this. Only people without class not those with it like barry sanders, joe montana, emmitt smith and many more but then you have chris webber and reggie who have none and makes all college athletes look bad.
I guess you're just a bit more holier than ther rest of us...

You're praising those guys and calling them stand up citizens and you don't know anything about them past what you've seen on T.V. For all you know those guys could have a dirt trail longer than here to New York.

Everyone makes mistakes, and this guy came from a background which was less than extravagant and you guys condemn him and call him a despicable human being for some less than stellar choices that he made as a 19 yr old boy ?

You guys should really save the the angst for murderers and child molestors...this guy SUPPOSEDLY broke some bogus rule about college athletes not getting compensation...AKA he helped his family live better...

It's really nothing more than the classic Im a Texans fan so I hate Reggie syndrome.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read