Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2007   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans need to put more pressure on QB

A tad bit of a neg spin by ole Len Pasquarelli. Is it me... or are we getting more press than we have ever gotten lately??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2912652

Quote:
Consider: In 41 of 80 outings, the Texans have managed one sack or fewer. That includes 17 contests in which Houston failed to get to the opposing quarterback even one time. The Texans have registered more than three sacks in just 10 games. And in only 13 games has Houston managed to generate more sacks than it has surrendered.

Just once, in 2005, have the Texans been above the NFL average for sacks, and that wasn't by much. Houston had 37 sacks in '05 and the league mean was 36.9. In five seasons, while Houston quarterbacks were dropped an average of once every 9.41 drop-backs, opposing quarterbacks were sacked every 18.7 trips into the pocket.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans need to put more pressure on QB

yeah, our rush has been pathetic the first five years. Frustrating to watch, especially when it puts so much burden on our coverage.

I can only hope that the first round picks of the last four drafts will give us enough talent on our d-line to at least have some consistent pressure. If we go into off-season 2008 still looking for a pass rusher, I think I'm going to be depressed.
Old 06-22-2007   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to bring him up... but losing the trenches game in and game out is exactly why we ended up at 2-14 that one year. Casserly seemed to build from the outside in.... instead of the inside out. Of course.. the turnover and the moves Rick and Kubiak have moved seemed to show the exact opposite.

This will hopefully be the last time we read anything like this on EITHER sides of the ball in the future.
Old 06-22-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Hate to bring him up... but losing the trenches game in and game out is exactly why we ended up at 2-14 that one year. Casserly seemed to build from the outside in.... instead of the inside out. Of course.. the turnover and the moves Rick and Kubiak have moved seemed to show the exact opposite.

This will hopefully be the last time we read anything like this on EITHER sides of the ball in the future.
What's funny about this is that at the time the team was first being put together, everyone was applauding us on doing things the right way and building from the lines out. Now, after all those moves busted, we go back and say they built from the outside-in.

Bottom line is that our first regime just bit at accessing talent and made a lot of bad moves. And now we're having to rebuild and on the defensive side, we're trying to do that from the d-line out.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Tailgate;683812] Casserly seemed to build from the outside in[quote]

Casserly building.... now that's funny!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What's funny about this is that at the time the team was first being put together, everyone was applauding us on doing things the right way and building from the lines out. Now, after all those moves busted, we go back and say they built from the outside-in.

Bottom line is that our first regime just bit at accessing talent and made a lot of bad moves. And now we're having to rebuild and on the defensive side, we're trying to do that from the d-line out.
Two studs (mario & Okoye) on any Dline should be adequate. With our improvement to linebackers, we need not focus on the line for some time. Still our first selection next year will probably be on defense; unless Cb and free safety is addressed in free agency or we get big surprise from our lower picks in this 07 draft.
Old 06-22-2007   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I think it would be fair to say that we have made the most moves in these past two offseasons on the O-line Unit than any two prior:

Charles Spencer, Jordan Black, Ephraim Salaam, Mike Flannagan, Brandon Frye, Scott Jackson, Kasey Studdard, Eric Winston, etc...
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2007   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, our rush has been pathetic the first five years. Frustrating to watch, especially when it puts so much burden on our coverage.

I can only hope that the first round picks of the last four drafts will give us enough talent on our d-line to at least have some consistent pressure. If we go into off-season 2008 still looking for a pass rusher, I think I'm going to be depressed.
If you put Babin, TJ, Mario, Demeco, and Amobi on the line, you have a really highly-drafted line. Too bad TJ and Babin haven't panned out yet. I still have hopes for Babin. Demeco, Amobi, and Mario will evolve into the core of an extremely powerful and dominant line.

Quote:
I hope so, too.
Old 06-22-2007   #9
real

Why do you keep including Demeco as part of the line ?
Old 06-22-2007   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A tad bit of a neg spin by ole Len Pasquarelli. Is it me... or are we getting more press than we have ever gotten lately??

Thank you Captain Obvious Len Pasquarelli. A team needs to put pressure on the QB to be successful, I am so glad you put this info out there. It is most likely that with the drafting of Okoye the Houston Texans were not aware of this.
Old 06-22-2007   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Why do you keep including Demeco as part of the line ?
To quote "the Mexicans" from Bullrun: "That's how I roll."

Just always have. It's probably because at my high school, linebackers worked with the defensive line when the team split up.
Old 06-23-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Texans must put more pressure on QB" - ESPN

Didn't see this thread

Thanks to Premier

Last edited by TexanSam; 06-23-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: My bad
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default ESPN's Pasquarelli writes article on Texan's defense lack of pressure on QB

this is a pretty good article on the Texans inability to rush the passer lately. unlike John Clayton, Len Pasquarelli is actually readable and credible. Chicken Little needs to stick to Magic The Gathering and leave the football to others. The article is kind of a Captain Obvious article but he does get some good quotes from current Texans and former Texans in Antwan Peek.

Old 06-24-2007   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

In other news... teams trailing in a game need to outscore their opponents for the rest of the game in order to win.

I did some research and found out that when teams are trailing in a game the only way they have ever won is to outscore the opponent by more than the number they are trailing. According to the old guy at the basketball court who's hair seems to have migrated from his head to his nose and ears "Yeah, well you know man... if you don't score more than the other team... its tough man... I haven't seen very many people win like that."

"Dammit Mike, I don't care about sports" said my wife.

"90% of the game is half mental" said some crazy old baseball guy.... so I left him to his scratch pad... trying to figure out what he was saying.

And finally I went back and watched some NFL games to figure this out once and for all. "Abhem abhem, 6 legged turkey... ahem.. RAIDERS", said John madden. I again asked him to expound on that.. and decided I was better off reverting to some of his older game footage.

"You see, the team is behind. What that means.. you see... is that they have to score alot of points... and not let the team score any more... or they're not gonna win the game."

Well that pretty much sums this article up.

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no idea where that came from... and almost deleted it... but figured at least one person will chuckle.. it is a nice article... just thought it was a bit obvious.

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure about the point of the article.
The one thing that is obvious, IMO, is the disregard for the defense as a whole, and that includes the philosophy of the coaching staff.

The obvious is to win the game, even if it's by 1 point.
We can argue that a run and shoot offense is the way to go, and therefore, spend all the effort to acquire all the offensive weapons necessary for the task.
Or build up a very strong defensive unit, like the Bears, or the Oilers at one time. And the offense can be very one-dimensional.
Or you can build a defense that bends but don't break, trying to limit the scoring to FGs rather than TDs, and still have the money to assemble an offense that is just good enough to score one more point than the opponent.

Whichever way, a FG is probably the difference in those winnable games that lead to a play-off berth. And beyond.

To beat the Colts, a better recipe might be a strong running game over a defense that can put pressure on Manning. JMO.

And then, let say, the Colts can get to the red zone real quick, but we can build a defense that makes it harder for them to score a TD there.
And that doens't necessarily require a FIERCE pass rush.

I'm sure it's not that simple, and will appreciate all the inputs.
Thanks in advance.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #17
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm not sure about the point of the article.
The one thing that is obvious, IMO, is the disregard for the defense as a whole, and that includes the philosophy of the coaching staff.

The obvious is to win the game, even if it's by 1 point.
We can argue that a run and shoot offense is the way to go, and therefore, spend all the effort to acquire all the offensive weapons necessary for the task.
Or build up a very strong defensive unit, like the Bears, or the Oilers at one time. And the offense can be very one-dimensional.
Or you can build a defense that bends but don't break, trying to limit the scoring to FGs rather than TDs, and still have the money to assemble an offense that is just good enough to score one more point than the opponent.

Whichever way, a FG is probably the difference in those winnable games that lead to a play-off berth. And beyond.

To beat the Colts, a better recipe might be a strong running game over a defense that can put pressure on Manning. JMO.

And then, let say, the Colts can get to the red zone real quick, but we can build a defense that makes it harder for them to score a TD there.
And that doens't necessarily require a FIERCE pass rush.

I'm sure it's not that simple, and will appreciate all the inputs.
Thanks in advance.

Thats all good, but it seems that the truly elite defenses can really get the passer. Or get the QB when it matters most
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read