Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-21-2007   #1
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub Listed As Top Breakout Star for 2007

Quote:
Matt Schaub: I've been saying it for a long time. If you give Matt Schaub 16 games, he'll automatically be a top 16 quarterback. The Texans are giving him more than a full season. Houston is giving him $40 million and the keys to the franchise. Schaub is a quick study and has had a great off-season under quarterback guru and Texans coach Gary Kubiak. Schaub gets to work with one of the elite receivers in the game in Andre Johnson. Owen Daniels is an emerging threat at tight end. And the Texans offensive line, while not great, is improved. Schaub will put himself and the Texans on the map with a big season.
Link

More good press for our Texans. Also, go answer the poll question on the page. Looks like a bunch of bitter Falcons fans are the only ones to have reponded so far.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub Listed As Top Breakout Star for 2007

The poll results didn't necessarily bode well, but who cares...
Old 06-21-2007   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I could see it happen. I think Ahman Green is really going to help Schaub out. Green can be a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield and supposedly Green is looking as good as he ever has. Sherman said as much and Sherman coached him during his MVP-type years in Green Bay.

hopefully we can convince Keenan that Houston is a better place for him than Washington. Then we would have a solid offense going into Week1.
Old 06-21-2007   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm all for it. The Texans need Matt to have a break-out year. He will be helped by Green, though I don't necessarily take Sherman's comments to heart. Green is one of Sherman's guys - brought to Green Bay by Sherman and now brought to Houston. I wouldn't expect him to publicly criticize Green.

That being said, I think that for the Texans to succeed, it is critical that at least the following other players have a break-out year:

Mario Williams
Amobi Okoye
Jacoby Jones
Salaam/Black
Dunta Robinson
Kevin Walter
Jason Babin
Travis Johnson
Flanagan
Winston

These players need to do as well as they did last year:
Ron Dayne (he needs to perform as well as he did at the end of last season)
Demeco Ryans
Maddux
Andre Johnson
Owen Daniels
Putzier
Chester Pitts

I think that covers just about everybody except for Mathis (who knows if he will see the field?), a few defensive backs (who I don't follow very well), and a couple of linebackers (who again, I don't follow well).
Old 06-21-2007   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I'm all for it. The Texans need Matt to have a break-out year. He will be helped by Green, though I don't necessarily take Sherman's comments to heart. Green is one of Sherman's guys - brought to Green Bay by Sherman and now brought to Houston. I wouldn't expect him to publicly criticize Green.

That being said, I think that for the Texans to succeed, it is critical that at least the following other players have a break-out year:

Mario Williams
Amobi Okoye
Jacoby Jones
Salaam/Black
Dunta Robinson
Kevin Walter
Jason Babin
Travis Johnson
Flanagan
Winston

These players need to do as well as they did last year:
Ron Dayne (he needs to perform as well as he did at the end of last season)
Demeco Ryans
Maddux
Andre Johnson
Owen Daniels
Putzier
Chester Pitts

I think that covers just about everybody except for Mathis (who knows if he will see the field?), a few defensive backs (who I don't follow very well), and a couple of linebackers (who again, I don't follow well).
if all those things fell into place, we would playing in the Super Bowl. If half those guys have breakout years or maintain their level of play we could be in the playoff race. just imho.

fwiw - sherman wasn't 'not criticizing' Green, he was praising Green.
Old 06-21-2007   #6
real

Personally I think Schaub is going to be a top 10 QB next year.
Old 06-21-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 274119 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schaub is going to have a good year. I'm not predicting 'great', but I think he will prove the trade and contract was more than worth the price.

One thing not mentioned in the article is what a great leader he is, too.
Old 06-21-2007   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
One thing not mentioned in the article is what a great leader he is, too.
Well unfortunately he is limited to that because he is too young to mentor anyone.
Old 06-21-2007   #9
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

This link is long since trash, but this was an article about "he who shall not be named" having a breakout year last year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5781908

7. David Carr, quarterback, Texans

Here's one for the clip and file department: I think Carr finally puts it all together this year. New Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is a quarterback guru. And in talking to Carr late last year, he was begging for guidance from someone who has played the position.

Mike Sherman takes over as the offensive line coach. And the talent along the previously pathetic Texans offensive line got much better with the signing of Mike Flannagan and the drafting of Eric Winston and Charles Spencer.

Plus, Carr has new weapons to play with. Eric Moulds is a savvy veteran who can still put up big numbers. And his presence alone should take the burden away from Andre Johnson, who I think will rebound to his All-Pro form. And don't forget about the pickup of Kubiak favorite Jeb Putzier at tight end.

If Carr plays like I think he will, Houston can win seven or eight games. This can disrupt Indianapolis from getting home-field advantage or hurt the playoff chances for the Jags if Houston can split with these teams. If Carr performs like last season, this is a four-win squad.

I hope this year’s prognosticator is better then last years.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
if all those things fell into place, we would playing in the Super Bowl. If half those guys have breakout years or maintain their level of play we could be in the playoff race. just imho.

fwiw - sherman wasn't 'not criticizing' Green, he was praising Green.
You have to understand that I have high expectations of the Texans. It was my belief that the Texans last year were really going in the right direction and that with a decent offseason picking up a RB, they would likely go 8-8. To give up picks for Matt Schaub, they were saying he was the last piece needed to become play-off potential, a 9-7 team. Only tweaks after that. So yeah, I think Matt and the rest of these guys should all be having break-out years because they should be a play-off contending team.

Sherman would not criticize Green. I expect only praise to come from him.
Old 06-21-2007   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
T
If Carr plays like I think he will, Houston can win seven or eight games. This can disrupt Indianapolis from getting home-field advantage or hurt the playoff chances for the Jags if Houston can split with these teams. [/i]

I hope this year’s prognosticator is better then last years.
Guess what. We did win 7 games. So Carr played as well as he could and he still looked horrible. Guess what else, we did hurt the playoff chances of the Jags. I think this guy was pretty spot on. Carr did play his best, we did win 7 games, and we did irritate the Jags. Problem is Carr's best was horrible.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #12
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
You have to understand that I have high expectations of the Texans. It was my belief that the Texans last year were really going in the right direction and that with a decent offseason picking up a RB, they would likely go 8-8. To give up picks for Matt Schaub, they were saying he was the last piece needed to become play-off potential, a 9-7 team. Only tweaks after that. So yeah, I think Matt and the rest of these guys should all be having break-out years because they should be a play-off contending team.

Way off there.....Kubiak's words were "we are putting things together for a 2009 season"
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #13
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
We did win 7 games.
Sorry, but we only won 6. The rest I agree with.

Link
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
Sorry, but we only won 6. The rest I agree with.

Link
You are right. I had a brain fart!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Way off there.....Kubiak's words were "we are putting things together for a 2009 season"
Dang - would love that link. Would have been useful during the team in development vs. instant win thread.

I see the team as in development, but for the Schaub deal to be worth its weight, they should be a play-off contender this year.
Old 06-21-2007   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It is interesting how we all see things and interpret it differently. I saw giving 2 second round picks for Schaub as saying Carr is not taking us where we want to go. Hmm. Who is the best alternative to get us there including QBs on our roster? Well, Schaub is if we can get Atlanta to accept the offer. Had nothing to do with saying he was the "last piece". Just another piece and a very significant one that could cost the entire coaching staff their jobs or make Kubes/ Smith coach/GM of the year.
Old 06-21-2007   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really?--where? What I have heard McNair and Kubiak talk about is trying to make the playoffs this year. Pretty darn sure no NFL coach is out talking about three seasons down the road as when things will come together since the average tenure for coaches is now about 3.5 years.

Last edited by infantrycak; 06-21-2007 at 05:34 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
To give up picks for Matt Schaub, they were saying he was the last piece needed to become play-off potential, a 9-7 team. Only tweaks after that.
Quote:
I see the team as in development
You don't seem to be saying the same thing consistently. You have used Schaub as an example of building for down the road rather than now and then say the above.
Old 06-21-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Really?--where? What I have heard McNair and Kubiak talk about is trying to make the playoffs this year. Pretty darn sure no NFL coach is out talking about three seasons down the road as when things will come together since the average tenure for coaches is now about 3.5 years.
Same thing I was thinking...When I saw that I was like, WTF ?

I just thought he knew something the rest of us didn't...
Old 06-21-2007   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He didn't actually say 2009, but 2007 + "a couple" = 2009 by my math. Maybe 2008 if it is read very liberally that he counted this off-season and draft. He certainly was trying to say "not this year":

Quote:

Gary Kubiak in the April 9, 2007 issue of Sports Illustrated demonstrated a non-rantish frankness about the Texans playoff chances that isn't often seen in coaching ranks:
"Our supporting cast isn't good enough right now, and we're not going to put everything on [quarterback] Matt [Schaub]. We feel good about our recent drafts and our offseason moves, but we still need a couple more drafts and off seasons before we're a playoff caliber team. We see Matt as one piece of the puzzle."
Courtesy of our own Texans Chick: http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/categ...offs-playoffs/

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read