Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-18-2007   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LaVar Arrington hurt in motorcycle crash

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
LANHAM, Md. (AP) -- Former Redskins and Giants linebacker LaVar Arrington was hospitalized with serious but not life-threatening injuries after his motorcycle crashed on a highway ramp, police said.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LaVar Arrington hurt in motorcycle crash

Hope he gets better but, his playing days have been behind him for a minute now. This will only scare teams away from him even more.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #3
Immobilarity
Made You Look

Rep Power: 16 Immobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden cover

Some football players are habitual offenders.

Unfortunately for LaVar he's a habitual breaker. Good to know he's okay, but he definitely won't be getting that paper anymore.
Old 06-18-2007   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this article before when Mathis got hurt, but it is worth revisiting. It was written after the Ben thing:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05163/520196.stm

Quote:
Jamie Henderson used to play in the NFL. Used to play safety for the New York Jets, the team that twice confronted the Steelers last season with him on its roster but nowhere in sight. Used to tool around almost half his life on a bike that nearly took all of it 14 months ago on a curving patch of two-lane Georgia road.

Spent three weeks in a coma. Breathed on a respirator. Sported a freshly drilled hole in his skull where doctors desperately tried to reduce brain swelling.

Oh, yeah, and he was wearing a helmet.

"I just wish people would put their bikes up and wait till after their career. Then they can ride the rest of their lives," Henderson said this week from Carrollton, Ga., where he continues to work out in hopes of returning first to his former self, then to the NFL and where he no longer rides his Kawasaki. "Bikes are dangerous. All of us who ride bikes know that. You only have two wheels. Shoot, all it takes is one driver not paying attention. It's not like a car crash -- you ain't going to have a fender bender."

Henderson remembers nothing of his April 2004 crash. Remembers nothing of being on that road. "My bike's fine. It was just me. I wish it would've been the other way around."

His isn't the only pro career to become a casualty of a two-wheel accident.

Former Penn State running back Gary Brown was, for all intents, left for dead on the streets of Williamsport after a June 1999, hit-and-run accident in which a car ran a stop sign and smacked his Suzuki. Brown went from a 1,000-yard rusher to a 177-yard rusher and done after three New York Giants games.

Bulls guard Jay Williams concluded a dazzling NBA rookie season, and possibly a career, when he crashed his Yamaha sportsbike into a Chicago pole in June 2003. Two years later, after doctors once whispered about amputation, Williams tries to rehab himself into some semblance of an NBA player.

Browns rookie tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. ... well, no need to go there. That's the stupid incident provoking all this Roethlisberger, TV-sweeps-month hoohah in the first place, the one that got the rookie quarterback's back up and prompted him to vehemently contend he was no "risk-taker."

There were 3,661 motorcycle deaths on American roads in 2003. Two wheels, no air bags, no reinforced metal surrounding, no control over every other auto on the roads. It's an equation rife with deadly risk.

In many pro-sports contracts, employers prohibit their millionaire athletes from dangerous behavior, such as motorcycling. That meant Henderson and most of the bike-screamin' fellas willfully violated their deals. Yet Roethlisberger's contract makes no such prohibition. Easy riding for a $9 million bonus baby.

"When you sign a contract, you sign not to ride a motorcycle," Henderson said. "But he can ride? Wow. [Pause.] Wow. [Longer pause.] Gracious. I'm stunned.

"I look at my situation, hell ... I've been riding since I was 14. And ain't had a wreck since I was 15, you know? Ten years later, I had a wreck. I shouldn't have gotten on in the first place. But I was thinking the whole time, 'I know what I'm doing. It's safe.' "
Old 06-18-2007   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

My lifelong friend has spent the last 45 days in the Herman hospital Trauma center .... after being run off the road on his bike . He's in a medically induced coma , every vertebra both hips and is paralized from the waist down . The doctors have given him about a 50/50 shot of living , much less living a normal life .

I use to ride a Kawasaki 1100 (punched to 1368 w/ 4 webbers) back in the early 90's at speeds over 220 mph , I ended up laying it over doing about 25 mph in the rain and havent been on one since .... dont plan on it either .

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 06-18-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #6
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was a profesional athlete and/or celebrity I wouldn't even drive a car anywhere. I would contract a bonded limosine service to drive me everywhere and team buses and planes other than that. That way I would have no liability, plus the protection of a larger vehicle's mass, in the case of an accident, nor any chance for a DWI/DUI since I would be a passenger. Ego is the reason that these people continue to drive themselves. Their letting their egos get in the way of reasonable thinking.
Old 06-18-2007   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
My lifelong friend has spent the last 45 days in the Herman hospital Trauma center .... after being run off the road on his bike . He's in a medically induced coma , every vertebra both hips and is paralized from the waist down . The doctors have given him about a 50/50 shot of living , much less living a normal life .

I use to ride a A Kawasaki 1200 (punched to 1368 w/ 4 webbers) back in the early 90's at speeds over 220 mph , I ended up laying it over doing about 25 mph in the rain and havent been on one since .... dont plan on it either .

I'm sorry about your friend and I can feel your pain. My father himself was a motorcyclist on March 7th of this year and he was in a minor motorcycle accident but his injuries left him on life support for three weeks before he finally passed.

I'm a member of the MotoHouston.com forums and I'd like to include your post about your friend. We honor our fallen riders on that site with a simple post. Also, to spread awareness that riders need to be careful out there.

Now, I'm going to leave the last part of your post out of the forum for the reasons explained below...

Over 220 MPH? In the early 90's?

*cou-BS-gh*

Ahem. Excuse me. I didn't mean to call you out but this is just blatant imaginative story telling here that just needs to be retracted.

First of all, Kawasaki didn't make their first 1200cc bike until they came out with the ZX-12 and the ZRX-1200 which didn't roll out until 2001. Not the early 90's as you've stated.

Second, I cracked the 200 mark myself and was caught doing it (I was arrested and charged with reckless driving at 203 MPH). I did it on my EXTREMELY suped up Hayabusa which also has a nitrous system on it. For me to crack the 220 mark, I'd have to put about 140 grand all together into the bike. It just isn't very likely that a person would put that much money into something that had never been done until the first 'streetable' motorcycle cracked the 200 MPH mark in 2002 going 201.7 MPH at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The clincher and thirdly, you stated that you had the bike bored out to 1368cc and installed four Weber carburetors on your Kawasaki. Weber doesn't make carbs for Japanese motorcycles. Sorry. If you had said Mikuni or Keihen then we'd have something to talk about.

For you to routinely go over 220 in the early 90's is just a gigantic load of turd. If you're going to conjure up some stories from your imagination on a message board at least get some background done on it so you can at least ACT like you know what you're saying. I won't leave you with a negative rep but I will post in here that you're a story-teller.

Oh... yes, I'm a motorcyclist myself.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2007   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he comes out of it ok.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read