Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

ND Kalus' Suggestion

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
:thumbup To ND Kalu

In a Tuesday appearance on SportsRadio 610 in Houston, Texans defensive end N.D. Kalu shared his views regarding the current controversy between retired players and the NFL Players Association.

Kalu says that more need to be done to help the players who paved the way for today's six-figure and seven-figure salaries.

He also suggested that he would be willing to give up $10,000 per year in salary to help the former players, and that other players should be asked to do the same in the hopes of creating a fund that would take care of former players who need help.

I haven't seen or heard anything about this until tonight. Sorry if it is a repeat.

I read it here ..http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

You'll have to scroll down a little.

:coffee:

ledzeppelin229

Hall of Fame
I think maybe a % of their salary should be put into a fund to help the vets...hell, maybe it will lead to a solution to real-life social security as well.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
A proud NFL alumni who played for the Houston Oilers has worked for the Lancaster Hotel downtown for the last 17 or 18 years or so. He played for the Houston Oilers on the starting lineup for about 6 years in a row. Played a total of 9 years I believe. I'm ashamed to say that I forgot his name but I can find out later on. I'm a valet so I worked very closely with him. What a great guy! So nice and a genuine hardworking fellow who wears his NFL Alumni pin proudly on his bellhop uniform everyday. I was just stunned that he had to work there to make ends meet. The NFL retirement plan had started the year after he retired so he gets extremely little from them. I don't know how much but I'm a valet and I have a better car than he does. That's how I see him.

The NFLers must return the favor. These guys made the game into what it is today for them in terms of salary and getting fans into football. I'm proud of N.D. Kalu and my Houston Texans. Simmons and now N.D. I love this team.

:fans:

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
You do know that million aires(sp) collect social security?
Are you trying to say that they shouldn't collect social security? They paid into it just the same as anyone else. Social security is theirs just the same. Just because one makes a lot of money doesn't mean they shouldn't get what's coming to them. Especially with their own money.

mancunian

Old Timer
He makes a fair point and he's right in that the NFLPA should be doing more to help those former players.
Some, but not all, of the players in the league right now can retire at the end of their playing days. 30 years ago that wasn't possible. I have just finished reading a book on former Raiders players and what they are up to now. Some went into business and did ok others have had trouble finding a career.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Are you trying to say that they shouldn't collect social security? They paid into it just the same as anyone else. Social security is theirs just the same. Just because one makes a lot of money doesn't mean they shouldn't get what's coming to them. Especially with their own money.
Honestly, they get enough tax breaks and do not have to pay into it as much if they make over $500k a year. There are elderly people who that is all they get. Sorry but if you are worth $200 mill that $200 a month or what ever is not going to mean a darn thing except to be greddy and to cause the SS to be in more trouble, so no I do not think they should get it.

Thanks for helping out your fellow man and being a good American, here is a pin you can wear.

Just like the NFLPA should help these older players, but the union cheif is controlled by the NFL, it is appearent because he really does not have a backbone. So with what Kalu has said it will be up to the players to have to do something instead of what they pay the union for and Upshaw makes something like $4 million a year.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The players shouldn't have to do anything. The NFL has the money, they need to freaking do something.