Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2007   #41
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair - "In this league, you really need 18-21 quality players..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Cool...

Now if you take away Manning, Harrison, and Freeney and what do you have as a team?

Probably a team a lot like the Texans of 2006.

Your counting one guy that hasn't even played a down yet in the NFL, I am referring to Gonzalez.

I am not criticizing your analysis or what you did. It looks good, but all those other guys status as quality players, rely on the performance of Manning, Harrison, and Freeney. Which is really to my point regarding this theory by McNair.

Of course a team needs several quality players and depth, but very rarely is a team successful without at least 2 star players.
2 guys: gonzalez and ugoh (who i dont like at all)

anyway this 'quality players' things isnt the be all and end all.. how many more 'quality players' did the 2006 colts have than the '2006 texans' when we beat them? 10+ right?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #42
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
2 guys: gonzalez and ugoh (who i dont like at all)

anyway this 'quality players' things isnt the be all and end all.. how many more 'quality players' did the 2006 colts have than the '2006 texans' when we beat them? 10+ right?
Thanks.

And to add, Gonzalez value is so high because a star player is going to be throwing the ball to him. Would Gonzalez be such a good pick for the Texans? Probably not. I think the Gonzalez pick could turn out very well for the Colts.

Anyway, it's a clear example how a star player makes a quality player. That is what the Colts are expecting from this draft pick.

The more I think about this quote (20-21 players) the more it concerns me and the general theory the Texans organization is running under.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #43
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Thanks.

And to add, Gonzalez value is so high because a star player is going to be throwing the ball to him. Would Gonzalez be such a good pick for the Texans? Probably not. I think the Gonzalez pick could turn out very well for the Colts.

Anyway, it's a clear example how a star player makes a quality player. That is what the Colts are expecting from this draft pick.

The more I think about this quote (20-21 players) the more it concerns me and the general theory the Texans organization is running under.
i agree about your gonzalez theory

but what worries you about the texans theory of collecting quality players- when we're also picking up stars (or potential stars) on the team aswell

right now imo we have two bonafida stars: aj and demeco

but we have alot of guys who could emerge as stars before the end of this season: schaub, mario, amobi, dunta (and green might be in their too)

maybe im misinterpreting what you mean but i dont see the problem
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #44
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i agree about your gonzalez theory

but what worries you about the texans theory of collecting quality players- when we're also picking up stars (or potential stars) on the team aswell

right now imo we have two bonafida stars: aj and demeco

but we have alot of guys who could emerge as stars before the end of this season: schaub, mario, amobi, dunta (and green might be in their too)

maybe im misinterpreting what you mean but i dont see the problem
I guess I am saying you don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Definitley, AJ is a star player. We have one, which hard to for any team to get.

Demeco, he is on his way but we will find out this year if he deserves that title.

Schuab and Mario are expected to step into that star player status to some extent.

Dunta, I don't think so. Very good player, but I don't see it happening. I could be wrong, we will see what happens.

If Schuab steps up strong to star status (meaning strong recommendation but not quite there) and Demeco continues his pace with Mario showing that he can live up to expectations, the Texans will be force in the AFC South.

Having said that, I am only talking about 4 players in total. AJ and Schuab being star players with Demeco and Mario being on the cusp of star quality.

The Texans have that, the roster will fill itself out nicely with good personnel and a great scheme augmented by good coaching.

Managing 20 players just isn't practical and really isn't required in my opinion.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #45
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 134324 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

What really jumps out about the team this year is not the amount of quality starters but the amount of quality depth. Having good depth behind your starters is what makes good football teams.
Old 06-12-2007   #46
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Chester Pitts is not a Pro Bowl caliber player, and neither is Anthony Weaver.
Old 06-13-2007   #47
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Team improvement makes a lot of mediocre players become quality. In 1989, the Cowboys OLine was one of the worst I'd ever seen... by 1991, they were chalked full of probowlers. Oddly, the personnel on the oline didn't change, only the starting RB changed.

This is the ultimate team sport. A couple of player and a little experience and the number of "quality players" can jump from 5 to 20 in a hurry!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2007   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Team improvement makes a lot of mediocre players become quality. In 1989, the Cowboys OLine was one of the worst I'd ever seen... by 1991, they were chalked full of probowlers. Oddly, the personnel on the oline didn't change, only the starting RB changed.

This is the ultimate team sport. A couple of player and a little experience and the number of "quality players" can jump from 5 to 20 in a hurry!
One of the things I found interesting in the NFLN MiniCamp footage was when Schaub said he considers the o-line a strength of the team.

My first reaction was... does he REALLY believe that or is he just shamelessly sucking up?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read