Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2007   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chron: Kubiak sees a lot to like in Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
when they really didn't need to improve the team.
Wow, just wow.

I for one sure would like to see a winning season and that takes improvement.
Old 06-11-2007   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not sold on Schuab and really didn't understnad why they did the trade considering what they gave up.
If our previous QB was not working out, what were our alternatives in 2007?

Seriously, draft QB at 8th? We'd be in the same spot, or worse.

FA QBs were slim pickins, and Schaub was at the top of that list.

I understand the skepticism, but you offer no viable alternative in your criticism.

Quote:
Maybe Schuab is the real deal. And, I hope so.
Don't we all.

Quote:
But, it seems very clear the #1 priority of this Franchise is to have a top tier QB at what could be the expense of other positions, the team, Franchise, and fans!
In order to run a successful WCO, you need a QB with a good head on his shoulders. Obviously our HC did not believe our previous QB was the right fit, so we needed another QB to implement Kubiak's offensive vision.

Perhaps the 'leadership' angle is overplayed by PR, but I seriously doubt Kubiak & Co. picked Schaub because of his marketability. The best way to market a team is to win games, and it appears that our coaching staff thinks MS will be the QB that will help us achieve that goal.
Old 06-11-2007   #23
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My point is, the Texans could have improved to 8-8 without Schuab.

Or, another way, Schuab wasn't required to get to 8-8 for 2007.

Wasn't Schuab orginally drafted in the 3rd round anyway?

Sometimes you overpay and take a higher risk than you need to.

Maybe Schuab is the guy, time will tell...

My bigger point wasn't the Schuab deal per se, but how desperate the Texans are for having this "Marquee QB". Maybe they could just let that go. It's like wanting the house with the white picked fence.

As far as I am concerned, Schuab was at the right place at the right time. Texans decided they had a need and fulfilled it right away. They could have laid back a bit and let things come to them a bit.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #24
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not sold on Schuab and really didn't understnad why they did the trade considering what they gave up. Kubiak/Smith swung for the fence on that deal when they really didn't need to improve the team.
This whole Schuab marketing campaign really shows from my perspective how the Texans are so desperate for having a "Marquee QB" as the face of the Franchise. That's why they drafted David Carr, because of his position and marketability. Which was an absolute mistake for so many reasons!

Like it or not, it appears this organization is going to be searching for that "Marquee QB" like a 30-year old lady that grew up and still lives in a small Texas town, never been married with no kids, and so desperately searching to make something of what is not there. Get my point?

Maybe Schuab is the real deal. And, I hope so.

But, it seems very clear the #1 priority of this Franchise is to have a top tier QB at what could be the expense of other positions, the team, Franchise, and fans!

Let's, count it up, we didn't pick Julius Peppers and Vince Young because of Carr, and we gave up to 2 second round draft picks for Schuab after just paying an $8 million signing bonus to Carr a year before. It will be ridiculous the investment and time the Texans have put into the QB position if Schuab doesn't pan out.

There aren't enough of the "Marquee QBs" to go around, and you shouldn't try make something out of something that isn't there. Which is what happened to Carr, and he didn't mind cashing the checks.

Good luck Schuab, you are really being billed up and so many fans want to believe. It's your job to come through.

They did not need toimprove the team? Say what??? DT was weak so they drafted one that has the potential to clog the middle while providing some pass rush from a position that has been weak since the very first game.

CD and Safety and LB have also needed to be improved and a pass rush and clogging the middle can help hence the selections of Mario and Amobi. Also the selection of Fred Bennet and Brandon Harrison in the draft was to provide depth and compition at positions that need to be upgraded. At LB Texans signed some FA that will add depth (yet no upgrades were needed).

Now to the QB, fans and nedia were all over Carr and he had lost the team and the locker room and the coaches. So something had to be done, not to mention he did not improve under Kubiak while I fully believe the rest of the team had.

No I have no clue what your analogy was ment to convey.

To say the QB position is the number one priorty with the expense of the rest of the team and fans is probably the mosyt hilarious thing I have seen posted on here in a long time. I guess you have failed to read how most of us Texans fans are very stoked about the upcoming season and the improvements the team has made.

As far as being sold on Schaub all I have to say is that everyone although they have optimism, still are waiting for him to take the field during real training camp. You sound like you are already to say he is a bust and that the Texans did the worst thing in the history of football. If the Texans did not make that trade someone else would have. Most scouts and GMs were very high on Schaub.

But I understand why you think it was so bad, because the guy you have on your wall was not taken by the Texans, do you have a fat head of him in your bathroom as well??

Quote:

My bigger point wasn't the Schuab deal per se, but how desperate the Texans are for having this "Marquee QB". Maybe they could just let that go. It's like wanting the house with the white picked fence.

As far as I am concerned, Schuab was at the right place at the right time. Texans decided they had a need and fulfilled it right away. They could have laid back a bit and let things come to them a bit.
The point is not getting to 8-8, it going beyond 8-8, if that is all you want fine but damn it I want a winning season not a .500 season.

Yes schaub was drafted in the third round because of a shoulder injury his senior year but then again that was also the same draft as Manning, Rothlisberger, and Rivers.
Old 06-11-2007   #25
real

Quote:

My bigger point wasn't the Schuab deal per se, but how desperate the Texans are for having this "Marquee QB". Maybe they could just let that go. It's like having the house with the picked fence.
Most successful WCO have "marquee" QB's....

I believe Schaub was projected to be a first round guy but fell due to injury...But I thought he was picked in the 2nd...I could be wrong...

But I don't understand the gripe about getting Schaub if you infact recognize David wasn't the answer....

Why not go after who you believe to be the best available option ? This is not the same thing as drafting David Carr...that was easy...simple....expected...

Going after Schaub was bold, exciting...and IMO refreshing....
Old 06-11-2007   #26
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
But I understand why you think it was so bad, because the guy you have on your wall was not taken by the Texans, do you have a fat head of him in your bathroom as well??

Relax a bit...

My post was more or less a commentary on the Texans marketing strategy and how that seems to drive personnel decisions.

Honestly, I am kind of glad Vince Young doesn't play for the Texans. As time goes on, it gets more humorous and interesting to watch with him not on the Texans.

Please understand this, I hope Schuab is successful! But, I think there are things driving personnel decisions outside of pure analysis from a football perspective. I have a legit theory to discuss without you trying to slam me.

Take a look from a different perspective!
Old 06-11-2007   #27
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

cmon HT

you seriously don't think marketing was involved in the acquisition of Schaub, do you?

if they were concerned about marketing, they would have drafted VY. if they were concerned about marketing, they would have drafted RB. if they were concerned about marketing, they would have drafted Brady Quinn.

they are concerned about winning and Kubiak's kicking David Carr to the curb showed that perfectly. Kubiak knows that he needs to turn things around fast and can't take a chance on developing a brand new QB. He obviously felt that Schaub had a head start on BQ and was a better long term solution than Sage Rosenfels.

Personally, I felt we may have overpaid for Schaub and I think we could have probably stayed the course with Sage as starter and see if we could get a Culpepper, Simms, or Brad Johnson as backup. That is fine to think that way but to say Schaub was a marketing move is just totally off base.
Old 06-11-2007   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

8-8, huh....Kubiak is talking playoffs as our goal. I'm not predicting, but we've got to set our sights higher than a .500 season, IMO.

We've had five straight losing seasons. Something had to change...

Quote:
I'm not comparing, but Tom Brady was a 6th rounder and Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder. Where a player is drafted often means very little (just look at how many QBs selected in the first round have been busts).

Quote:
I disagree. Vince Young would have been the PERFECT "marquee QB" for this city, but they passed on him. I don't see the PR angle in football decisions, but that's a perspective that I've chosen. Obviously, you see it from a different point-of-view.

Quote:
Pure speculation on your part. A lot of teams wanted MS, and at this point in the Vick dog fighting story, ATL probably would have held on to Schaub.
Old 06-11-2007   #29
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
But I don't understand the gripe about getting Schaub if you infact recognize David wasn't the answer....

Why not go after who you believe to be the best available option ? This is not the same thing as drafting David Carr...that was easy...simple....expected...

Going after Schaub was bold, exciting...and IMO refreshing....
I am not really griping. It appears to me that marketing the Texans is driving personnel decisions regarding the QB position.

Just because you get divorced, doesn't mean you have to get remarried.

Getting rid of Carr didn't mean they had to trade for Schuab.

I aggree, Schuab was a bold move and if pays off, Kubiak/Smith will viewed as geniuses.

Time will time...

But, sometimes you are successful despite your self and your actions. Just because you make the right decision doesn't mean you made it for the right decisions.

Historically, the Texans have made very poor decisions and have had even worse luck. Something is due, and maybe Schuab is it.
Old 06-11-2007   #30
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
if they were concerned about marketing, they would have drafted VY. if they were concerned about marketing, they would have drafted RB. if they were concerned about marketing, they would have drafted Brady Quinn.
Good point.
Old 06-11-2007   #31
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Relax a bit...

My post was more or less a commentary on the Texans marketing strategy and how that seems to drive personnel decisions.

Honestly, I am kind of glad Vince Young doesn't play for the Texans. As time goes on, it gets more humorous and interesting to watch with him not on the Texans.

Please understand this, I hope Schuab is successful! But, I think there are things driving personnel decisions outside of pure analysis from a football perspective. I have a legit theory to discuss without you trying to slam me.

Take a look from a different perspective!
Maybe that was a bit harsh, but it just seems most who have hated on the Texans as of recent have really been ut folks who only think that vy is the all to end all of answers to everything. When you brought up his name I took it as you wanting him.
Old 06-11-2007   #32
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
cmon HT

you seriously don't think marketing was involved in the acquisition of Schaub, do you?

they are concerned about winning and Kubiak's kicking David Carr to the curb showed that perfectly. Kubiak knows that he needs to turn things around fast and can't take a chance on developing a brand new QB. He obviously felt that Schaub had a head start on BQ and was a better long term solution than Sage Rosenfels.

Personally, I felt we may have overpaid for Schaub and I think we could have probably stayed the course with Sage as starter and see if we could get a Culpepper, Simms, or Brad Johnson as backup. That is fine to think that way but to say Schaub was a marketing move is just totally off base.
Carr got another year because the owner wasn't smart enough to figure out that Carr was simply more a part of the previous problem than being heldback. Carr was a package deal to any new coach due to investment and his overall marketing push and starting all over again.

Also, Vince is not your typical type of QB. Carr and Schuab are very similar many ways, they are your proto-typical QB in the NFL.

McNair is driving this ship more than Kubiak in so many ways. If not, then Kubiak made an extremely poor decision with Carr last year and shouldn't have been trusted with the Schuab deal.
Old 06-11-2007   #33
real

Quote:
I am not really griping. It appears to me that marketing the Texans is driving personnel decisions regarding the QB position.

Just because you get divorced, doesn't mean you have to get remarried.

Getting rid of Carr didn't mean they had to trade for Schuab.

I aggree, Schuab was a bold move and if pays off, Kubiak/Smith will viewed as geniuses.

Time will time...

But, sometimes you are successful despite your self and your actions. Just because you make the right decision doesn't mean you made it for the right decisions.

Historically, the Texans have made very poor decisions and have had even worse luck. Something is due, and maybe Schuab is it.
Again; I'm not understanding your complaint ?

What should the Texans have done ? I mean it wasn't really that many options...

a) draft a QB
b) Go with Sage and other F/A's
c) Trade for a lesser QB
d) Keep Carr
e) trade for who you deem to be the best available option
Old 06-11-2007   #34
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Again; I'm not understanding your complaint ?

What should the Texans have done ? I mean it wasn't really that many options...

a) draft a QB
b) Go with Sage and other F/A's
c) Trade for a lesser QB
d) Keep Carr
e) trade for who you deem to be the best available option
I am not really making a complaint but making an analysis that it seems marketing concerns have consistently bleeded over into personnel decisions regarding the QB decision.

My main point about the Schuab deal is, how much consideration and analysis was done on the five options you presented and how to work through the QB mess? Honestly, I think they were all valid and the team could have still improved to 8-8 or better. Yes, even with Carr with a safe gameplan on offense and a stiffling defense.

I don't know, do you how much time they spent figuring out what to do and why? It just seems like the Texans make poor decisions and sometimes their reasoning even looks worse. Example, paying Carr an $8 million signing bonus and in less than one year cutting him. That is just STUPID!
Old 06-11-2007   #35
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Maybe that was a bit harsh, but it just seems most who have hated on the Texans as of recent have really been ut folks who only think that vy is the all to end all of answers to everything. When you brought up his name I took it as you wanting him.
I am a UT fan that went to both Rose Bowls.

Experiencing that was enough for me, and expecting that from another team that I deeply love is just asking too much. Life just comes at you and accept what you receive.

I am very happy with VY as a UT player and I wish them best of luck in his future endeavors due to what he gave me as a fan of UT.

By the way, the Texans have done very little for me as a fan. I keep giving and giving, and what do I get in return, more ticket invoices...

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 06-11-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2007   #36
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Carr got another year because the owner wasn't smart enough to figure out that Carr was simply more a part of the previous problem than being heldback. Carr was a package deal to any new coach due to investment and his overall marketing push and starting all over again.

Also, Vince is not your typical type of QB. Carr and Schuab are very similar many ways, they are your proto-typical QB in the NFL.

McNair is driving this ship more than Kubiak in so many ways. If not, then Kubiak made an extremely poor decision with Carr last year and shouldn't have been trusted with the Schuab deal.

cmon HT

Carr is a prototype QB in the NFL? umm you gotta be kidding me. poor mechanics, poor QB intelligence, poor pocket presence, poor intangibles, and poor work ethic show that Carr is, if anything, the anti-prototype.

I agree with you that McNair's fingerprints were all over the Carr extension and passing up of VY. No doubt about it. But I think when McNair saw how horrible of a move it turned up being, he let Kubiak/Smith take control this offseason. Obviously Kubiak didn't think Sage was good enough to start and probably thought that BQ wouldn't fall to #8. That was when they started thinking about Garcia, Plummer, and ultimately Schaub. Schaub was the priciest of all the possible replacements for Carr, but has the most upside and the least amount of baggage/wear and tear.

HT, I am not saying I think the Schaub deal was great but personally I think the guy deserves a freaking snap before anyone starts criticizing him or the move to acquire him. after all, we gave our last QB 5 freaking years before the sheeple realized how bad Carr was.....lets give Schaub at least a game or two before the naysayers start slamming him.

criticize the price we paid, fine
dont criticize the player that has yet to play for us...we owe him and anyone else for that matter, more than that

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 06-11-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #37
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I am a UT fan that went to both Rose Bowls.

Experiencing that was enough for me, and expecting that from another team that I deeply love is just asking too much. Life just comes at you and accept what you receive.

I am very happy with VY as a UT player and I wish them best of luck in his future endeavors due to what he gave me as a fan of UT.

By the way, the Texans have done very little for me as a fan. I keep giving and giving, and what do I get in return, more ticket invoices...
on that point, I agree with you 100%. making the first payment on our seats in February was very hard with Carr still listed as the starting QB. The 2nd payment was a little easier If not for the rules on PSLs, we wouldn't have re-upped this year back in February. we would have passed.

but yeah, the return on our investment has been pretty lacking to say the least. the Colts win was nice last year but I thought that win could have bought Carr another year, so I wasn't entirely happy but we needed that win...the team did and Kubiak didn't let the emotion from the win distract him from the logic that a change was needed and Carr needed to go.
Old 06-11-2007   #38
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Imagine if you were a Lions fan. The Texans haven't been around that long. But the Lions haven't done anything since the beginning of football. They are the Atlanta hawks of the NFL.

And also, you have a Spurs logo. I don't feel to sorry for you. They are giving you alot.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #39
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
Imagine if you were a Lions fan. The Texans haven't been around that long. But the Lions haven't done anything since the beginning of football. They are the Atlanta hawks of the NFL.

And also, you have a Spurs logo. I don't feel to sorry for you. They are giving you alot.
Cardinals?.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #40
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post

I never asked you to feel sorry for me.

The sport I care most about is football, and the most important league to me is the NFL. As anyone else, I am a fan of many sports, which means, many teams. They are in this order:

1. Houston Texns
2. Texas Longhorns - mainly football but basketball too, but not as much
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Houston Astros
5. Dallas Stars

To your point about about the Lions. I could care less what any other team does or how successful they are. Just because one team is horrible for many decades doesn't mean I have to accept mine as being crappy. To some extent though, I have accepted the Texans as a bad team. Otherwise, it is too painful to pay for season tickets. Going to the games is so wonderful though, regardless how they perform. Another justification to pay for the tickets.

Please know, I am not complaining about this. It's an observation. I follow the Texans very closely, and certain things seem evidently clear. One of them being this infatuation with this strapping young stud as the QB. Maybe I am connecting too many dots? Maybe take the tinfoil off my head?

That is a legit response to my analysis because I can't really prove it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read