Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2007   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron: Kubiak sees a lot to like in Schaub

Oh my gosh, I can't wait for the season to get here fast enough!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4875365.html
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chron: Kubiak sees a lot to like in Schaub

Quote:
"He's a commanding presence in the huddle," tackle Ephraim Salaam said. "(He) gets people in the right positions. And he's a leader. I think those are the characteristics you look for in your starting quarterback."

Added Center Mike Flanagan: "From the first day here, he has carried himself and acted in a professional manner. You know he wants to be a leader, but he's not just saying it. He's earning it."
Looks like Salaam and Flanagan got the talking points.

Quote:
"He's everything I thought he'd be and more," Kubiak said. "He's very comfortable with people. His asset is composure. He gets rid of the ball extremely quick. Matt has a clock in his head to get rid of the football. You can't teach that. ... We've already thrown a lot at him, and it looks like he has total control."
Hmmm, wonder when he came to that conclusion?
Old 06-09-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what I hear about Schaub from the multiple articles written about him. I'm eager to see him on the field when it counts though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Chron: Kubiak sees a lot to like in Schaub

Quote:
"He's a commanding presence in the huddle," tackle Ephraim Salaam said. "(He) gets people in the right positions. And he's a leader. I think those are the characteristics you look for in your starting quarterback."

Added Center Mike Flanagan: "From the first day here, he has carried himself and acted in a professional manner. You know he wants to be a leader, but he's not just saying it. He's earning it."
D'oh! Guess Salaam & Flanagan haven't read the new memo, yet.

Quote:
Schaub carries himself with a confidence that has rubbed off on everyone. In the end, it will come down to making plays in games, but for now, the Texans couldn't be more impressed.
This is what I've been saying. Sure, we can't annoint him King Schaub right now, nor should we (as opposed the immediate knighthood that was granted after the first Dallas victory). But as fans, we can afford ourselves a little blind optimism at this point in our off-season. And reading that our biggest change in offense is already setting the tone and raising expectations is not a bad thing, IMO.
Old 06-09-2007   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget, last year at this time, Kubiak was talking about leadership at the QB position just as often. Only, he was all over DCarr to show some leadership... This offseason is no different in Kubes' focus, except that he sees in Schaub what he wanted to see last year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #6
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited for this season to start. It's nice to hear nothing but good things about our QB's leadership.

I just hope the CBS station in Austin doesn't broadcast Titans games instead. The bastards.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

If things fall into place the way I think (and hope) they will, the Hillbillies will have a 2-6 record at the halfway point, and Austin will start showing the 5-3 Texans instead.
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2007   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not convinced that Matt S. is a great leader as I am that "you know who" lacked severely in that area.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am not convinced that Matt S. is a great leader as I am that "you know who" lacked severely in that area.
I was wondering how long it would take before a "you know who" basher came along and sabotaged a positive thread about MS. Really sad!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Don't forget, last year at this time, Kubiak was talking about leadership at the QB position just as often. Only, he was all over DCarr to show some leadership... This offseason is no different in Kubes' focus, except that he sees in Schaub what he wanted to see last year.
A lot of us were drinking that koolaide, too. I was happy last year to hear Kubiak say positive things about DC, and just because it didn't work out, I'm not going to disbelieve this year.

I am as unsure as anyone of what is really going to happen, but I guess I'd rather just look at a glass half full.

Perspective is a choice.

Quote:
We really need to find an old QB to mentor Schaub. Is Testeverde still around?
Old 06-10-2007   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I was wondering how long it would take before a "you know who" basher came along and sabotaged a positive thread about MS. Really sad!!
If you think I am a "you know basher" then you need to read the threads closer. He was a part the mixture of below average OL play, questionable personnel decisons, poor coaching, and oh yeah inconsistent QB play that caused the Texans to be a disaster over the first five years.

Sorry, I think that Schaub is probably handling himself as an NFL QB should versus being this dynamic entity of leadership. I am in the show me in week 9 or so after some ups and downs school.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You must be referring to Carolina's back up QB that we paid above average starter money for over five years. That sorry half a QB's name is David Carr for all of those who did not know who AT was talking about.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. It stunk around here for to long due to his sorry play.
Old 06-10-2007   #13
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I like what I hear about Schaub from the multiple articles written about him. I'm eager to see him on the field when it counts though.
Me too. I'm diggin all the great things said about him so far, but if they don't stop this hyping up - I'm going to expect the clouds to part and the sun to shine down on the field when they announce Matt onto the field. May even hear angels sing.

But what we were working with for the previous years, it may just come close to heavenly.

I'm ready for the season and the new Texans.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

"internal clock" & "you can't teach that" stand out to me. throw in "work ethic" & "measureables" too whats not to like forget about what was & never would be in Atlanta or Houston its all about moving forward & putting a winning product on the field for the hard working, deserving paying fan base

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Me too. I'm diggin all the great things said about him so far, but if they don't stop this hyping up - I'm going to expect the clouds to part and the sun to shine down on the field when they announce Matt onto the field. May even hear angels sing.

But what we were working with for the previous years, it may just come close to heavenly.
Well the Texans have lowered our standards of quarterback play to such low quality these last few years that if Aaron Brooks were our starter we'd consider him to be a Hall of Famer. Shame

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #16
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Actually what I remember is Kubiak saying last year that Carr "needs" to step up and be a leader. I really don't recall him saying he "was" a leader. other than a general "he's the leader of this team" kinda thing. This year is totally different, He is calling Schaub a leader and saying his leadership is his strong point. Totally different rhetoric IMHO
Old 06-11-2007   #17
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Hey GMA, its because he's an "Arlington Texan", not just a Texan, and thats where Jerry's boys are moving to. That should explain it.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #18
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

I think as long as he gets down the basics of being a servicable NFL QB, we'll give him a pass for now but at some point he's gonna have to live up to the 6-7 year 40 something million $$$ contract he was given too.
Old 06-11-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Actually what I remember is Kubiak saying last year that Carr "needs" to step up and be a leader. I really don't recall him saying he "was" a leader. other than a general "he's the leader of this team" kinda thing. This year is totally different, He is calling Schaub a leader and saying his leadership is his strong point. Totally different rhetoric IMHO
Dito.
Old 06-11-2007   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sold on Schuab and really didn't understnad why they did the trade considering what they gave up. Kubiak/Smith swung for the fence on that deal when they really didn't need to improve the team.

This whole Schuab marketing campaign really shows from my perspective how the Texans are so desperate for having a "Marquee QB" as the face of the Franchise. That's why they drafted David Carr, because of his position and marketability. Which was an absolute mistake for so many reasons!

Like it or not, it appears this organization is going to be searching for that "Marquee QB" like a 30-year old lady that grew up and still lives in a small Texas town, never been married with no kids, and so desperately searching to make something of what is not there. Get my point?

Maybe Schuab is the real deal. And, I hope so.

But, it seems very clear the #1 priority of this Franchise is to have a top tier QB at what could be the expense of other positions, the team, Franchise, and fans!

Let's, count it up, we didn't pick Julius Peppers and Vince Young because of Carr, and we gave up to 2 second round draft picks for Schuab after just paying an $8 million signing bonus to Carr a year before. It will be ridiculous the investment and time the Texans have put into the QB position if Schuab doesn't pan out.

There aren't enough of the "Marquee QBs" to go around, and you shouldn't try make something out of something that isn't there. Which is what happened to Carr, and he didn't mind cashing the checks.

Good luck Schuab, you are really being billed up and so many fans want to believe. It's your job to come through.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 06-11-2007 at 12:18 PM.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read