Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2007   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72233 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Commander Schaub and other OTA musings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Then tell Kubiak to shut up about it already. PR dept. controls him, too?
It is an award winning PR department you know.

Kubiak is no slouch at PR either.

I'm a little tired of hearing about what a leader he is to. Instead of repeats of that commercial, I'd like to hear more about the whole team - how the different battles are lining up, more about the new offense, just all the other topics that could use a few paragraphs instead of more of the same leader stuff. I'd rather the Texans not be about one guy, all of the time. They need more articles like the one about Maddox today, nuts and bolts about what is going on, etc.

Even an award winning PR department needs to learn from past mistakes.
Old 06-06-2007   #22
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm not so much concerned about Matt Schaub any more. I'm concerned about the rest of the offense. If they have to go to Matt to find out their assignments, they aren't coming together very well. Thankfully they've got Matt to do the work for them, though.

I've heard several times from fans that Dayne is looking in from the outside. Glad to hear he's not. I think he did a wonderful job last year. I think being used for thirds and fourths is his true calling and I hope to get great things out of the former Heisman Trophy winner. I wonder who is gone, though - Gado, or Taylor, or both?

How the Running Backs will be used is the most interesting question. I suspect Lundy and Green will be trading off, with Dayne taking the third adn fourth-down runs as well as goallines. Not sure if that's what the Texans are thinking, and it would be interesting to speculate. I think Green would benefit from a two-back system, though. Lundy, too. Lundy actually had great numbers for a rookie, and I would like to see what an offseason and working with Green will do for him.

I'm tired of hearing about Matt. I know he'll do fine, but I'm with you, TC. This is like when every day it seemed I was hearing about the locker room intangibles of Flanagan or Sharper. I get it. I trust it. Got anything else to say?
Old 06-06-2007   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
It is an award winning PR department you know.

Kubiak is no slouch at PR either.

I'm a little tired of hearing about what a leader he is to. Instead of repeats of that commercial, I'd like to hear more about the whole team - how the different battles are lining up, more about the new offense, just all the other topics that could use a few paragraphs instead of more of the same leader stuff. I'd rather the Texans not be about one guy, all of the time. They need more articles like the one about Maddox today, nuts and bolts about what is going on, etc.

Even an award winning PR department needs to learn from past mistakes.

if the defense could cover as well as the front office, nobody'd score on the Texans...
Old 06-06-2007   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
...I'd like to hear more about the whole team - how the different battles are lining up, more about the new offense, just all the other topics that could use a few paragraphs instead of more of the same leader stuff. I'd rather the Texans not be about one guy, all of the time. They need more articles like the one about Maddox today, nuts and bolts about what is going on, etc.
I do not disagree with you at all. Hopefully, that'll change over time.

Kubiak obviously has a lot of self-interest in promoting Schaub, but he seems to shoot straight with us. And the QB position is probably a big issue on his mind right now...all things considered.
Old 06-07-2007   #25
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
TC, I think on #1 it's like this.

Suppose you were dropped off in the desert and survived for 30 days on a bottle of water and a slice of bread, some cactus, and a rattlesnake that had been run over. You then were rescued and your first meal was hamburger helper, don't you think that would taste like gourmet food that first go around?
Hey, I like hamburger helper!
And for a poor grad student hamburger helper IS gourmet!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #26
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Hey, I like hamburger helper!
And for any student hamburger helper IS gourmet!
fixed.
Old 06-07-2007   #27
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
All I can say is that it is a GREAT feeling logging on to this board and reading positive comments, instead of all the negative we have had to deal with the past couple of years. I LOVE IT!! I don't care if we're giving positive strokes to the waterboy, it's da*n time we all started thinking positive.

NOW, prove your loyalty by showing up on Aug 11th, ready to show our guys how POSITIVE we are!!!! I hope everyone will be there when they introduce the players, and make Reliant rock!!!!

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better. I love the fact that we're not so nervous about the upcoming season. We're eager and anxious!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2007   #28
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I would also like to hear more about the other players and how some of the position battles are going, but with all the contaversy that has surrounded our QB position the last couple of seasons I can see why they are pimping Matt so much. At the end of last year we wondered who the "face" of the franchise was. Was it a QB that more that more than half the fan base wanted gone. Was it the rookie DE that didn't have a great year and a good portion of the fan base didn't want. Was it the RB that wasn't even on the team at the begining of the year. Was it the DB that had a down year. Was it the WR that made the probowl but lets his play do the talking. IMO the FO is trying to create a "face" of the team and let everyone else know that the QB situation is taken care of.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #29
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
TC, I think on #1 it's like this.

Suppose you were dropped off in the desert and survived for 30 days on a bottle of water and a slice of bread, some cactus, and a rattlesnake that had been run over. You then were rescued and your first meal was hamburger helper, don't you think that would taste like gourmet food that first go around?
mmmmmmm Rattlesnake!
Old 06-07-2007   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
mmmmmmm Rattlesnake!
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snakeater Player?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #31
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Random thoughts:

1. The Texans PR folks need to stop pushing the Matt Schaub as leader thingy. It is getting almost silly. Hello, NFL QBs are supposed to command the huddle. Commanding the huddle during pre-pre-training camp not in pads without rushers wanting to kill you is not a great accomplishment.
I disagree. Knowing how important leadership is to the QB position, I don't mind hearing about Shaub's. QB's may be "supposed to command the huddle", but as we know well, not all do. Those who do not wan't to read it can just skip over it.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally i am a bit confused. Last year i saw posters on this board harp about the lack of leadership skill Carr showed in the pocket and huddle.

We get that and i see people here starting to whine about how much is being said about the SAME value they claimed Carr never showed.

As far as some posters will reply about how crammed is in all of the pressers it seems...seriously it's just OTAs. Filler stuff far as i am concerned and i'm not going to drool over every little nugget the staff releases. Sure i'm interested and it is refreshing for once to hear some good thing coming out of OTAs. So far it looks like everyone is going to be on the same page. That to me, is enough there.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read