Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-05-2004   #61
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

exactly,,,I'm trying to figure out a way to get a hold of Charlie C. so i can inform him of this but all i get is his answering machine
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #62
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

If DD can't step it up and I know he can than we need to address the RB pos in this years Draft or we can wait 2 more years DD will be a Res FA and we can try and Draft Adrian Peterson but we will need a top 3 pick for him so if anyone can figure out how to make this happen please notify the Texans front office ASAP haha
Andre_Johnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #63
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

haha been trying man been trying they always put me on hold and play that soul sothing music its quite annoying !!! But i think D.Davis could still be our running back of the future just having a rough second season start i say we give him one more year as starter cause he still has the talent he's just not utilizing it !
Old 11-05-2004   #64
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

I think we can give him another year worst case we have to draft a RB next year or the next. I just hope DD isn't a one hit wonder. The the Front office we want the right of Adrain Peterson now.. We will pay him what he wants haha.
Old 11-05-2004   #65
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

haha na i dont thin D.D is a one hit wonder,,,i just think he Jinx himself by saying he was gonna rush for 2,000 yards this season ! And it looks to me that he's trying to hard out there he needs to be patience and wait for his blockers to create holes in the defense !!! See why J.W has been doing better is cause he's not as fast and by the time he gets to the line the holes are already formed while D.D just rockets right up the middle and the blockers havent had time to do anything !
Old 11-05-2004   #66
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

By next year this zone blocking should be big help in the running game
Old 11-05-2004   #67
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

and in this article that vinny posted on here from Shanihan he even said that in order for a running back to have success in the zone blocking scheme they need to be used to it and have been there for a while !!! In my opinion Davis ran great behind our regular system last season and i dont see why we changed it !
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2004   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 131726 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
and in this article that vinny posted on here from Shanihan he even said that in order for a running back to have success in the zone blocking scheme they need to be used to it and have been there for a while !!! In my opinion Davis ran great behind our regular system last season and i dont see why we changed it !
We won 5 games last year and have already won 4 and are in the playoff hunt. What's broken? We have a new Left Tackle, new Left Guard, and new Right Tackle. We only have two starters from last season in their same positions. The Offensive line is one of the hardest things to coordinate in football. The first half of this year is going to be tougher than the last half. They just need some time together.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #69
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We won 5 games last year and have already won 4 and are in the playoff hunt. What's broken? We have a new Left Tackle, new Left Guard, and new Right Tackle. We only have two starters from last season in their same positions. The Offensive line is one of the hardest things to coordinate in football. The first half of this year is going to be tougher than the last half. They just need some time together.

Oh no i like the new zone blocking scheme i just think it'll take a while for Davis to get used to it (and the O-Line) but once we start clicking it will be very good for us !!!
Old 11-05-2004   #70
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

So do we keep faith in DD or change back in a year or two
Old 11-05-2004   #71
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
eh.. I dont see us drafting RB.. not in the first 3 rounds anyway.

Fact of the matter is that RB is one of the most risky positions to draft. a 1st round RB has as much chance of being a star as a 4th or 5th round RB.. for proof of that, look at D. Davis, Mewelde Moore, Rubin Droughns, Clinton Portis

Cedric Benson seems great.. but honestly if we are going to draft a back.. id like to see us pick up a Jerome Bettis type of back. Someone huge, who can take a beating and make good yardage every time. With the way we like to run the ball.. someone who can take a beating.. and who can power forward for 4 yards consistently would be just fine.. especially when we have such a great WR corp and QB. We dont need a star, we need a work horse.
Ummm... Cedric Benson IS that type of running back. He isn't very fast, but he's as strong as an ox and can really break tackles and fall foward. He's definitely a power back if there is one in the upcoming draft. I'm not sure how good he would be in the NLF though, because 1) he's fumbled a lot this year and 2) he just isn't very fast.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #72
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
haha na i dont thin D.D is a one hit wonder,,,i just think he Jinx himself by saying he was gonna rush for 2,000 yards this season ! And it looks to me that he's trying to hard out there he needs to be patience and wait for his blockers to create holes in the defense !!! See why J.W has been doing better is cause he's not as fast and by the time he gets to the line the holes are already formed while D.D just rockets right up the middle and the blockers havent had time to do anything !

AGREE 100%!
Old 11-05-2004   #73
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson80
If DD can't step it up and I know he can than we need to address the RB pos in this years Draft or we can wait 2 more years DD will be a Res FA and we can try and Draft Adrian Peterson but we will need a top 3 pick for him so if anyone can figure out how to make this happen please notify the Texans front office ASAP haha
All I know is that it's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to get a back like Peterson. Plus, that's an option 3 more years down the road! Let's think more in the present shall we?
Old 11-05-2004   #74
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

its just a thought
Old 11-05-2004   #75
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
As for hind site being 20/20 there were some of us who thought on draft day 2002 it was 20/20 THEN as far as the Texan's selecting Clinton Portis! At the time some fan were asking what the heck do you know....adding that Charley Casserly & Company knew what they were doing. Also, some said....let's wait and see how it turns out. And now, two years later, people like yourself are saying...."let's learn from our mistakes and focus on the future." In layman terms....let's not discuss it! That's how G.M's keep their jobs...they are seldom held accountable for their mistakes.
In Buffalo some fan's are now starting to become "uneasy" with the play of ORT Mike Williams, U. Texas. Williams was the 4th player selected in the entire draft and thusfar his play has been average at best. When the heat was turned up on GM Tom Donahoe for selecting Williams one fan rushed to Donahoes defense by asking...."How was Tom to know that Mike Williams couldn't play?" All I could do was

nice post .....

I was one of those who wanted them to take Portis , so i do understand where you are coming from . Wasnt that pick used on Gaffney ? Well at least we got a servicable player out of it .

Would i like Portis now , sure i would , his 3.9 avg would be real nice .
But would he have done anything at all with the Texans O-line the two seasons ? I doubt it.

Its just one of those subjects that has been beaten like a dead horse . He may have a Hall of Fame type career and we'll be discussing it for the next decade......He's a Redskin , Im over it .

Portis is the type of back the Texans need , a DownHill Runner , capable of 4 yards a carry and a threat to break one off in a hurry....Is there a Portis in the upcoming draft ?
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #76
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
nice post .....

. Wasnt that pick used on Gaffney ? Well at least we got a servicable player out of it.
We picked Jabar at #33. We then picked Pitts at #50. Portis was picked #51, right after we took Pitts.
Old 11-06-2004   #77
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wanted to point out that neither Benson or Peterson are the workhorse type back that we are talking about. The only difference between Peterson/Benson and DD.. is 3 inches :P. They are both a little taller than him.. but the weight is the same.

What we need is a DD that is about 3 or 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier.

when I say a large workhorse back that can pick up reliable yardage and take a beating.. im talking about 5'11' - 6'1" and 230-250lbs

That is where Jamal Lewis, Stephen Davis, and Jerome Bettis all fall. Perhaps we should be looking for a fullback that size? that way we can put him in the backfield with Davis and run either one of em.. *shrug* i dunno.. but I know that, as much as we like to run.. that is the kind of RB we need.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #78
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 131726 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Would i like Portis now , sure i would , his 3.9 avg would be real nice .
But would he have done anything at all with the Texans O-line the two seasons ? I doubt it.
Also, Pitts was one of our best linemen in our fist season. If we didn't take him no telling how much more of a beating Carr would have taken.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #79
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

btw.. looking at a couple draft rankings.. the RBs that seem to fit the physical bill.. are Eric Shelton (JR) out of Louisville.. and Kay Jay Harris (SR) out of West Virginia.

Shelton - 6'3" - 245lbs - 4.6 40

Harris - 6'2" - 245lbs - 4.5 40

The heights kinda worry me. I dont know many NFL RBs that are that tall.

Good news is Harris may be available as late as the 3rd round(probably 2nd)... if we want him.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #80
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19807 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep an eye on Tim Blackwell from Southerm Miss. He's 6'0" 203lbs., runs a consistent 4.37/4.41 40, & has allegedly been clocked at 4.31 in the 40.

He hasn't played any this year, because he's apparently in the coaches doghouse. However, with that kind of size & speed, he might be worth taking a look at. He could be a CC late round sleeper special.

Tim Blackwell Profile
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read