Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-03-2004   #41
NETexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
well here's a thought what about travis henry...with mcgahee taking control of that team you know henry will be trade bait if the upcoming draft...
Exactly what I was thinking.

I was actually looking at Carolina as another team who has two potential star backs splitting time, even though it has a lot to do with injuries. Stephan Davis is getting older, but still has plenty to offer to any team, and DeShaun Foster has flashed some evidence that he could one day be a team's anchor in the backfield.

Not ready to give up on DD though. He still looks good catching passes out of the backfield and has been nicked up a little bit. Hopefully it turn it on and this won't be as big an issue come the offseason.
NETexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #42
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Hind Sight is 20/20 .
There are things we all wish we could go back and change ..... unfortunately we cant .

Lets Learn from our mistakes and focus on the future .
As for hind site being 20/20 there were some of us who thought on draft day 2002 it was 20/20 THEN as far as the Texan's selecting Clinton Portis! At the time some fan were asking what the heck do you know....adding that Charley Casserly & Company knew what they were doing. Also, some said....let's wait and see how it turns out. And now, two years later, people like yourself are saying...."let's learn from our mistakes and focus on the future." In layman terms....let's not discuss it! That's how G.M's keep their jobs...they are seldom held accountable for their mistakes.
In Buffalo some fan's are now starting to become "uneasy" with the play of ORT Mike Williams, U. Texas. Williams was the 4th player selected in the entire draft and thusfar his play has been average at best. When the heat was turned up on GM Tom Donahoe for selecting Williams one fan rushed to Donahoes defense by asking...."How was Tom to know that Mike Williams couldn't play?" All I could do was
Old 11-03-2004   #43
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I heard Richard Justice on 610am this morning talking about the Redskins. He used to cover the Redskins and knows the situation over there pretty well. He says that Gibbs is pretty fed up with Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor, that Portis sleeps during team meetings.

Sometimes a player's production on the field is cancelled out by his negative influence in the locker room.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #44
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i say if our defense continues to play like it has the remainder of the year we get Benson coming out of Texas ! He's not only fast but can make people miss with his feet and can over power defensive players as well ! But if we have another Key injury i say we focus on Defense !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #45
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
I heard Richard Justice on 610am this morning talking about the Redskins. He used to cover the Redskins and knows the situation over there pretty well. He says that Gibbs is pretty fed up with Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor, that Portis sleeps during team meetings.

Sometimes a player's production on the field is cancelled out by his negative influence in the locker room.
Whether or not Joe Gibbs is having problems keeping Portis awake I don't know. What I do know is that on game day Clinton seems to be wide awake. Another thing I know is that some people like to point negatives on players in an effort to makes themselves feel better about not drafting the player. Sure, all of us would like to believe that every player in the NFL would stay awake in meetings and give coaches their undivided attention but this is the real world and it's not the case.
You also mentioned "negative influence in the locker room". This is perhaps over-rated expression in sports! Again, fans want to believe that players all love and respect one another.....wrong! In reality, there are players in this league, on the same team, who HATE one another but they are still team-mates and they play as one on Sunday.
Old 11-04-2004   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

time for beerlover to pipe in on this topic, we don't need to use our 1st round pick on a RB period. Wells has been a pleasent surprise & looks like a long term fit adding depth & toughness. Dominack is holding onto the football extremely well as of late, he has good hands coming out of the backfield & still possess good footwork with nice cut back ability. Hollings has been the enigma because of health concerns we still don't really know what or how he will be able to contribute in the future.

that being said the Texans are most likely looking for a banger type NFL prototype prospect like Deuce Staley (5-11 220) that for some reason (back-up roll, injured, small school) is not as well known as any of those mentioned as 1st round picks. If the right person is still avaialable late in the 2nd round like Ronnie Brown of Auburn (6-1 225) then MAYBE the Texans would select a RB that high.

NFL Coutdown says-

Strengths: Very good size...Great speed...Excellent receiver out of the backfield...Very strong and runs hard...Has good balance...Displays good vision and hits the hole hard...Can run over defenders or run away from them.
Weaknesses: Never had the opportunity to be the main ball carrier in college...Not real shifty...Has had some minor injuries problems and durability might be a question mark...Not an explosive runner.
Notes: Overshadowed by Cadillac Williams but may in fact be the better pro when all is said and done...One of the best, if not the best, all-around running back prospects in this draft.
- Scott Wright

The Huddle Report says-

Let's just get this straight, right up front. Ronnie Brown is the best running back in this draft. Now stop it. If you are thinking that Cadillac, Benson or even KayĖJay is better, you're wrong. Iím sorry, but I looked at the film. I donít look at the hype; I donít repeat what other people say and speed is not the most important skill of a running back. Ronnie is a bigger version of Curtis Martin on and off the field. Ronnie has great instincts, quickness, balance, burst and receiving skills. He has tackle- breaking strength and good elusiveness. He knows how to be patient and set up his blocks. What I also see on the film is that his teammates have a great respect for him and like him. When he goes to the sidelines, there is always someone to greet him and he always has a smile on his face. He seems to be a great teammate and he and Williams seem to have a true friendship with each other. Ronnie (Burn Them) Brown...he has the speed and strength in the passing and running game to burn the other team on every down.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #47
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

I say we dont even draft a running back in this draft we seem to be doing fine the way we are now and we could use a litle more depth on the defense, our offense if good enough to win us games we just need to make sure our D is good enough to secure the games dor us ! We draft mailny D this year no RB unless its maybe a late round guy !
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2004   #48
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
i say if our defense continues to play like it has the remainder of the year we get Benson coming out of Texas ! He's not only fast but can make people miss with his feet and can over power defensive players as well ! But if we have another Key injury i say we focus on Defense !
I thought we wanted to cure our fumbling problems.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #49
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Most mock drafts see us going either Marcus Spears or OT Alex Barren in the first round.
Wow, I can just hear Capers yelling "You screwed up Spears!" and one Marcus Spears would think he was yelling at the other. :hehe:

"You doesn't have to call me Johnson."
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #50
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I thought we wanted to cure our fumbling problems.
ok ok my mistake well why dont you call up James Allen and talk him into coming back to play for us :woot NOOOOOOOO Just Joking !! I really dont think we will or need to draft a running back in the next draft !
Old 11-04-2004   #51
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I thought the main purpose of a running back in this offense (that is looking more & more like a passing offense) was to direct attention away from receivers? If so, we should IMO look at total yards by the RB. We don't have to have a 100+yds back. We do need someone who can pick up 3to 4 yards (our avg 3.1 over all I think) on 3rd down & short. Davis & Hollings do not fit that. I am not sure if Wells does either.

All 3 seem to do same thing with Davis as the better receiver. I would not spend a 1st round pick on a back unless no quality Dline available @ our "undetermined" pick. With the need for a receiver diminishing & Marcus Coleman signing a 3 year extension, I would go for DT and address a powerback @ lower rounds. I don't agree with any free agent backs mentioned so far. If Benson or Brown were to drop to 2nd, that would make me consider a trade up. I agree that Bensen fumbles a little too much, I wonder what will occur in NFL?

My prediction: keep Hollings & Davis, let Wells go & draft a huge strong back in 3-5th rounds that can grind out 50 to 70 yds a game and convert a couple 3rd downs per game.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #52
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
If Benson or Brown were to drop to 2nd, that would make me consider a trade up.
Benson will not drop to round 2. Brown will be a posibility at around 2. But you would have to trade up.

Take the RB in Round 1, as to make sure we get one, instead of thinking he will fall to us, and then address the other needs, with the 2nd round pick, and 2 3rd round picks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #53
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

i'll tell ya who is looking very good is Deangilo Williams the RB for memphis fast, very shifty, and breaks a lot of tackles !
Old 11-04-2004   #54
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a quick, shifty back.. if we are going to get a RB then we need a work horse. A Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis type of back. Someone who can take a beating and get dependable yardage, not big yardage.

Bills/Texan fan.. have you considered that maybe you are a fan of the wrong team? honestly.. I dont think ive see ANYONE make THIS MANY POSTS about a draft that happened 3 years ago. If drafting Portis was such a huge deal.. maybe you need to be a Denver fan.. or if you just think Portis is the greatest thing ever to set foot on turf.. maybe you need to be a Washington fan.. but if ya cant handle the fact that we wanted Gaffney over Portis..then you may not want to be a Texan fan.

If there is one thing ive picked up on this team since its inception.. it is that Character is just as important as ability. If the greatest player in the draft has an attitude that we arent sure about.. we will happily settle for the second best player in the draft with a great attitude.

In a league where parity is so abundant.. a good attitude can make all the difference.

NOW.. im not saying Portis had a bad attitude.. but apparently he didnt have the kind of attitude that WE like. Personally, I think picking up Wilfork would have been a great move for us.. but apparently HE didnt have an attitude we liked either. That is fine with me.. if Wilfork becomes a hall of famer, that is fine with me too.. we got our guy in Babin, and im happy to have him. What is keeping you from feeling the same way about Portis and Gaffney?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #55
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
My prediction: keep Hollings & Davis, let Wells go & draft a huge strong back in 3-5th rounds that can grind out 50 to 70 yds a game and convert a couple 3rd downs per game.

I dont see them letting Wells go , he will make the team on special teams if nothing else . not to mention he's one of the hardest workin guy's on the team . He can do more than just run the ball . Take a look on kick-offs .... who's the first one down there breakin up the wedge .... Its Wells . He's the kind of player Capers likes . (also has the same amount of fumbles in his career as DD does this season ....that would be 4)

If any of the three backs is to go i would think Holings would be the one , he's done practically Nothing , looks doubtful he will do anything this season and he FUMBLES too much .

BTW ..... Clinton Portis is a Redskin ...... get Over It

Last edited by Corrosion; 11-05-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #56
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Auburns C williams or Cedric Benson would fit best, a fast smash mouth pick up hard yards back.
Andre_Johnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #57
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah i'd like to see us draft Cedric Benson, but i doubt that will happen so if we do draft a back it will problably be a later round,,,like i've already stated Deangilo Williams who plays for Memphis is a very good running back but dont play in one of the top confrences so he dont get much recognition ! Breaks a lot of tacles, has speed and can run people over ! might be a late 3rd rounder maybe 4th !
Old 11-05-2004   #58
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
yeah i'd like to see us draft Cedric Benson, but i doubt that will happen so if we do draft a back it will problably be a later round,,,like i've already stated Deangilo Williams who plays for Memphis is a very good running back but dont play in one of the top confrences so he dont get much recognition ! Breaks a lot of tacles, has speed and can run people over ! might be a late 3rd rounder maybe 4th !
Than we would have a steal on our hands
Old 11-05-2004   #59
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

another person to keep in mind is rudi johnson from cinci...he's an unrestricted free agent after this season...just heard that on espn
Old 11-05-2004   #60
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

I would love to pick up Cedric benson in this draft. He would free up our recs

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read