Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2007   #1
frequentfliertx
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 frequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfrequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Some thoughts

I really don't know how Matt Schaub, who only played two NFL games (losing both times) will fare. Sage Rosenfelds, if he's still around looked prertty good last year. However, thinking back, I do believe that the Texans really fumbled the ball when they passed up on Vince Young. I mean, what was the Texans management thinking when they blew that one???!!!!

P.S. Good luck in Carolina, David!!!
frequentfliertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentfliertx View Post
I really don't know how Matt Schaub, who only played two NFL games (losing both times) will fare. Sage Rosenfelds, if he's still around looked prertty good last year. However, thinking back, I do believe that the Texans really fumbled the ball when they passed up on Vince Young. I mean, what was the Texans management thinking when they blew that one???!!!!

Well, I can't disagree with you about VY because I was one of the ones calling for the Texans to draft him. However they didn't so either move on and root for the team as they are or go root for someone else. No one knows how Schaub will fare however a lot of NFL people are high on him for some reason so hopefully there is good reason for that. BTW, Carolina is going to need the luck with Carr. I am wondering just how bad the Panthers line is going to look next season if Carr actually gets to play.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know where to start with this. If you're a Carr fan, then go watch the Panthers. If you're a Young fan, go watch the Titans. If you're a Texans fan, stop whining about something you wanted a couple of years ago. Let it go already.

If you want to know more about Schaub, then ask. You're going to bag on a guy who had been projected as a 1st round draft pick but who hurt his shoulder his senior year and fell to the 3rd round. You're going to bag on a guy who was drafted to a team that already had The Face of the NFL with a 100 million dollar QB and then couldn't beat that guy out of his job? Schaub wasn't going to be the QB in Atlanta unless Vick melted down (like he's doing now.) A lot of Falcons fans and a lot of NFL experts considered Schaub the better QB of the two.

He started one game when he was a rookie and lost it. You're going to hold that against him? Then he started another game against the Patriots in his second year, played a great game (18/34 for 298 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INTs), had the lead late in the game, and then lost to Brady/Vinatieri at the very end... like so many other good teams have. This is a guy who has come in for relief of Vick and made the Falcon's "bad" receivers look good.

Last year, he came in for relief of Vick against the Eagles, who were fighting for their playoff lives, and went 15/21 for 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT in less than a half of play.

Why don't you bring up his career TD/INT ratio? 6 TD's and 6 INT's. BUT, 4 of those interceptions were thrown in his rookie season. The other two were thrown when he came in to a game and he was having to toss it around to try to win when everyone knew he was going to have to throw.

We're talking about a guy that was the most sought after RFA QB in the league for the past couple of years. And we got him. How can you be glum about that?

Out of Carr, Schaub, and Young, I think we ended up with the best QB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't know where to start with this. If you're a Carr fan, then go watch the Panthers. If you're a Young fan, go watch the Titans. If you're a Texans fan, stop whining about something you wanted a couple of years ago. Let it go already.

If you want to know more about Schaub, then ask. You're going to bag on a guy who had been projected as a 1st round draft pick but who hurt his shoulder his senior year and fell to the 3rd round. You're going to bag on a guy who was drafted to a team that already had The Face of the NFL with a 100 million dollar QB and then couldn't beat that guy out of his job? Schaub wasn't going to be the QB in Atlanta unless Vick melted down (like he's doing now.) A lot of Falcons fans and a lot of NFL experts considered Schaub the better QB of the two.

He started one game when he was a rookie and lost it. You're going to hold that against him? Then he started another game against the Patriots in his second year, played a great game (18/34 for 298 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INTs), had the lead late in the game, and then lost to Brady/Vinatieri at the very end... like so many other good teams have. This is a guy who has come in for relief of Vick and made the Falcon's "bad" receivers look good.

Last year, he came in for relief of Vick against the Eagles, who were fighting for their playoff lives, and went 15/21 for 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT in less than a half of play.

Why don't you bring up his career TD/INT ratio? 6 TD's and 6 INT's. BUT, 4 of those interceptions were thrown in his rookie season. The other two were thrown when he came in to a game and he was having to toss it around to try to win when everyone knew he was going to have to throw.

We're talking about a guy that was the most sought after RFA QB in the league for the past couple of years. And we got him. How can you be glum about that?

Out of Carr, Schaub, and Young, I think we ended up with the best QB.
About the only other thing i can really add is the contract situation with David at the time. Vince at the time from my memory had said he would stay for his senoir year. Of course that was prior to the Championship game and he fled for the NFL. Another part is our ownder wanted desperately to win with David at the helm and I am sure Kubiak wanted the job badly and figured Carr came along with the territory for at least a year. I'm sure a part of him thought his skills and past experience as well could help David Salvage his career here.

Obviously that didn't happen. Chow and Fisher at the time prefered Leinart from what i heard but Reese Chose Vince. Many of the gurus at the time thought he was too raw...some still argue he is...i tend to think he's still pretty raw. The only way he got boosted into the lineup was for some reason the Titans thought Kerry Collins could come in and go for a year and let Vince sit. Volek demanded a trade, Collins sucked, and the Titans deceided what the hey why not put him in and let him get experience, floudnered at first then with help made a good run, with some luck, at the playoffs.

Remains to see what'll happen this next season with a little improved defense and an offense that was gutted. Oh yeah the Madden Cover too.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

[positive spin]
id just like to add the bad game he had as a rookie wasnt helped by the fact the falcs had already clinched the playoffs so rested vick, crumpler and duckett (when he was good for them) so the team mightn't have exactly been playing 100% and were playing away against the saints who were on the playoff bubble [/positive spin]
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #7
whiskeyrbl

I like the fact that after all the debate, draft , and dust of the last two years is settling in that we have Schaub. As mentioned above we have the better QB of the 3 (IMO) . Listen to the interview on 790, from Friday(will put link at bottom) you will hear words and phrases never heard by our previous signal caller. Houston we have us a REAL QB now.

http://www.790kbme.com/main.html
look in the podcast
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2007   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First of all on Sage... Two other teams have decided he can't be a starter. He doesn't have the accuracy or the arm to be one in the NFL. He's a nails kinda guy who will get you through if your guy goes down.. but he doesn't have enough talent to be our starter. That Titans game last year, the receivers did a hell of a job catching passes that were off target. I think he's a great leader, but unfortunately that alone won't win football games.

On Young, He had a nice rookie year. I don't know how his 2nd year and career will turn out though. He is really a pretty bad passer. I'm not saying he's Mike Vick yet (certainly not from a character standpoint) but lets just say their games are similar. I know he's taller and all, but he's just not as good of a passer even as Vick right now. He may get is game together, but who was the last "run first" QB to win a SB? I remember what a media darling Randel Cunningham was... but that never worked out... then we had Steve Mcnair... he's probably the closest thing to a run first QB that won a superbowl. Defenses will adjust.. coordinators will realize they don't need as much coverage and start spying him with a LB or a DB. I'm not saying he's doomed for failure but when he goes against a good defense... especially one like the tampa-2 with fast LB's he's going to get in trouble if he doesn't figure out how that arm works.

On Schaubb... Thank god we got him before they found dog's on the Vick property. Right about now there would be no compensation package that would pull him away from those dirty birds. There is a reason that 99% of the NFL scouting departments love this kid. He has that "leadership" you seek. He can make the throws.. and he has pocket awareness. Don't look at his handful of games and judge him. There is a reason Atlanta was trying to get him in at QB even with Vick on the field. When he's played significant time... he's looked good and unlike Sage... he hasn't proven he can't be a starter. And as people have already mentioned.. he has basically run a variation of the west coast offense for the last 7 years all the way back to H.S. Maybe he flops.. that's possible but of the guys that were available... he certainly seems to have the best shot at being a legit NFL QB to me. Young may have more "upside" but his downside is also pretty steep.

Mike

Last edited by Texanmike02; 06-03-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: adding one last thought
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow... what a great contribution to the board. A very original and well thought out thread you started here....
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
then we had Steve Mcnair... he's probably the closest thing to a run first QB that won a superbowl.
When did that happen?
Old 06-03-2007   #11
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
Hey, I'm sold... We have an untested, unprotected QB who was projected to be a 1st round pick. He seems to have a hard time just moving to his new home even with the help of his girlfriend. Now the band is marching to the song of We are the champions when he hasn't had his first game under his belt. But this board has crowned him King, and I say what? King of What... a defense with most of the talent chosen at the expense of the offensive team. Add to this, just who are we the old Bronco's or the new Packers or the Under 500 Texans. Led by a 2nd year H/C who seems to have tendency to say what fans want to hear, instead of what his plans are to give us a stronger team.
Hey Caddy, I know where you can find some people that love Davie Carr almost as much as you... http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum

Kubiak could put Aaron Brooks behind center and it would make us happy after having to stomach watching the afterbirth of what was once possibly an average NFL quarterback known as Dave Carr. It got to the point last year where seeing that dude take the field made me physically sick.
Old 06-03-2007   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We fumbled it away by drafting DC as our 1st pick in team history. With that said, I believe this is the most overplayed thread ever. I'm sick and tired about hearing about VY. Like someone else said, if you want to be a Carr fan watch the Panthers, if you want to be a VY fan, go watch the Titans. I'm gonna watch the TEXANS and I will support Schaub until he stinks it up, just like DC, and just like any other Texan.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hey, I'm sold... We have an untested, unprotected QB who was projected to be a 1st round pick. He seems to have a hard time just moving to his new home even with the help of his girlfriend. Now the band is marching to the song of We are the champions when he hasn't had his first game under his belt. But this board has crowned him King, and I say what? King of What... a defense with most of the talent chosen at the expense of the offensive team. Add to this, just who are we the old Bronco's or the new Packers or the Under 500 Texans. Led by a 2nd year H/C who seems to have tendency to say what fans want to hear, instead of what his plans are to give us a stronger team.
Let me make sure I have this straight:

1. Schaub is unproven.
2. Our o-line is bad.
3. Schaub has mobility issues.
4. Everyone on this board is happy to have him here.
5. Our defense has most of the talent on the team.
6. You don't know what this team is.
7. Our 2nd year HC is saying things that people want to hear and not telling people what he's going to do to make things stronger.

Is that all your points?

1. Not much I can say to this. Do you consider Carr a proven QB? Who would you have preferred to be our QB other than Schaub?
2. Our offensive line isn't as bad as you think. And apparently, our FO doesn't think it's as bad as you think, either. If they thought the problem with our protection was the line, they would have made moves to fix it.
3. No, he doesn't.
4. Most of us are feeling very hopeful and that our QB position is seriously upgraded.
5. Why is that a bad thing?
6. OK. We'll find out soon enough.
7. You can tell just from the moves that have been made exactly what Kubiak saw as the problems and weaknesses of this team. What more do you want him to do? Come to your house and show you the game film that led him to that conclusion? After a season of working with your boy Carr and seeing exactly what he was capable of, Kubiak decided that Carr was the problem. You don't think that Kubiak is improving our team? You don't think going from 2-14 to 6-10 isn't an improvement? You don't think he wasn't coaching his butt off to get us 2 victories even though our QB couldn't throw for more than 100 yards.
Old 06-03-2007   #14
Ckw

2 edits to the above post.

1. Of course he would prefer other QBs to David Carr. I mean Tom Brady would be a fantastic pickup. As far as realistic picks, I don't think he has any. David Carr? Patrick Ramsey? Man I'm getting the jollies just thinking about those two guys running our offense...

7. I don't think it was that Carr couldn't throw for 100 yards. It was that he couldn't get it into the end zone even if his life depened on it. I mean a guy can drive the ball down the field all he wants but if he can't get it into the area that matters the most, the end zone, then he is a failure at the quarterback position.
Old 06-03-2007   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
2 edits to the above post.

7. I don't think it was that Carr couldn't throw for 100 yards. It was that he couldn't get it into the end zone even if his life depened on it. I mean a guy can drive the ball down the field all he wants but if he can't get it into the area that matters the most, the end zone, then he is a failure at the quarterback position.
In the Raiders game, Carr threw for a net of -5 yards. We won that. In the Browns game, Carr threw for a net of 83 yards. We won. That's two games that we won where Carr didn't throw for 100 yards. That's what I was talking about.

Now, the fact that he had 2 TD's in the entire last half of the season is a totally different issue.
Old 06-03-2007   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Led by a 2nd year H/C who seems to have tendency to say what fans want to hear, instead of what his plans are to give us a stronger team.
so kubiak just makes decisions that please the fans and not to strengthen his philosophy on how to be a winning team?? Mario anyone?

seriously old man, some of us have different expectations of schaub but EVERYONE is pretty certain that he'll be better than carr..do you think theres really no reason for that other than that we're all 'haters'??
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #17
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Wronger... I usually don't read you stuff, but tried your link anyway... what a joke why would you chase after Carr just to do a hatchet job on him. Sorry but after reading two posts by you slamming him was way over the top. I'm glad your posting on their board, enjoy your bashing. As for my self, I couldn't get past your second post without hitting close.
I have never slammed Carr, just stated the basic facts about him. The truth hurts sometimes... especially when the guy that you worship is a loser.
Old 06-03-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, what do you know, our first official Schaub hater. Every forum needs one.

caddy needs the NFL Ticket on DirectTV so he can watch all the Carolina games, and hopefully the object of his affection will get to actually start a game this year. But I bet he still looks good and has a lot of fun holding a clipboard, so he's always got that.
Old 06-03-2007   #19
frequentfliertx
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 frequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfrequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Actually, it doesn't matter who is behind center. If you don't have a decent OL then the QB will not be able to perform, no matter who he is. I don't think that DC had a decent OL in front of him.
frequentfliertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #20
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't matter who is behind center. If you don't have a decent OL then the QB will not be able to perform, no matter who he is. I don't think that DC had a decent OL in front of him.
Don't be suprise if our O-Line is magically fixed now Carr is gone.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read