Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-30-2007   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Mark Cuban has lost his mind

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is part of a group considering formation of a football league that would compete with the NFL for players drafted lower than the second round.

The league, still very much in the preliminary stage, would play its games on Friday nights. The NFL does not play then because of the potential conflict with high school football.

"It's a pretty simple concept," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We think there is more demand for pro football than supply."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #2
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP
Default Re: Mark Cuban has lost his mind

this is ridiculous, the talent pool can barely hold well across the current 32 teams, much less an entire new league.

Mark Cuban is insane
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 27729 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark Cuban IS insane. This the XFL all over again.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Mark Cuban IS insane. This the XFL all over again.
The only problem with the XFL, was the TV monopoly of the NFL. There was no coverage on any news stations. & the stations/programs that mentioned the XFL, were cynical at best.

Sure, there wasn't a team in the XFL, that could hang with the Colts.. or the Patriots. But it wasn't bad football. It was in the off-season, and I for one, rather enjoyed it. I thought it was better than NFLE, in it's inaugural season. Given time, it could be as big as college football.

And, with players like Kurt Warner, Joe Horn, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, and countless others who actually go unnoticed in these obscure leagues, how can you say the talent pool is too thin. Unless you believe NFL GMs never miss.

Marquez(sp) Colston Anyone??

Think about it. Our Starting QB has been sitting on someone else's bench for the last three years.
Old 05-30-2007   #5
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

How many leagues have there been now that have competed with the NFL? How many are still around? Only reason Arena Football works is because it's different.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The only problem with the XFL, was the TV monopoly of the NFL. There was no coverage on any news stations. & the stations/programs that mentioned the XFL, were cynical at best.

Sure, there wasn't a team in the XFL, that could hang with the Colts.. or the Patriots. But it wasn't bad football. It was in the off-season, and I for one, rather enjoyed it. I thought it was better than NFLE, in it's inaugural season. Given time, it could be as big as college football.

And, with players like Kurt Warner, Joe Horn, Jake Delhomme, Doug Flutie, and countless others who actually go unnoticed in these obscure leagues, how can you say the talent pool is too thin. Unless you believe NFL GMs never miss.

Marquez(sp) Colston Anyone??

Think about it. Our Starting QB has been sitting on someone else's bench for the last three years.

I couldnt agree more .... And what else does Cuban have to do with his money other than let the next several generations of grand kids spend it ?

Would be nice if they would run their season in the NFL's offseason .... give us football junkies something to do other than wait for some snipet of news or the draft .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #7
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like how you can invest in a team. Makes it much more fun. I would probably watch it if it were in the offseason. During the season, on Friday nights, doubtful. Getting so called "2nd round picks" to sign with them instead of the NFL is also intriguing.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2007   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I can watch football anytime but this experiment has failed too many times.
Old 05-31-2007   #9
real

I'd watch it....are you serious ?!

I can't believe we have football fans complaining about MORE football...

It would just be more exsposure for players that go unnoticed or fly under the radar....I liked the XFL, and I feel like the only reason it didn't survive was because of how it was treated in the media, and the monopoly of air time by the NFL....I like watching good football...NFLE is borderline terrible at times...I wouldn't mind having another quality football leauge...
Old 05-31-2007   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, the USFL did all right as long as they were a Spring and Summer league. It seems like they went under when they switched to a Fall schedule.

I watched on XFL game. I'll do the same for the new league. If I like it, I'll watch more.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #11
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we seriously talking about this? Cuban is a JACKASS!
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Anytime you have more demand than supply people with a lot of money get interested, make it happen and get out by turning a quick profit. There are so many channels looking for content and emerging markets in the US, specifically in the west. Moreover, what happens when the NFL attempts to go international? They will need to draw their talent pool for front office, operations and players from somewhere.

The value proposition for this seems to be sound in my opinion, but it still does not mean I would watch.
Old 05-31-2007   #13
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

It would just be more exsposure for players that go unnoticed or fly under the radar....I liked the XFL, and I feel like the only reason it didn't survive was because of how it was treated in the media, and the monopoly of air time by the NFL....I like watching good football...NFLE is borderline terrible at times...I wouldn't mind having another quality football leauge...
The players that will more than likely be playing in this new league are the same as those that are being allocated to NFLE, so the product on the field should be more or less the same quality. Kinda like NFLE US edition.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
The players that will more than likely be playing in this new league are the same as those that are being allocated to NFLE, so the product on the field should be more or less the same quality.
Read the article

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is part of a group considering formation of a football league that would compete with the NFL for players drafted lower than the second round.
Old 05-31-2007   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cuban and the gang was smart, they would start their season in April and have their championship game on Labor Day. It is not smart to comptete head to head with the NFL. I am for more football and think that having it in spring in summer would be great. The problem with competing with the NFL is where would it be broadcast The Outdoor life channel? The NFL has contracts with Fox, CBS, ABC,and ESPN during the NFL season. However during April-Labor Day there is no NFL so theoretically this new league could be broadcast at that point.

Oh, and the reason the XFL failed was becuase of Vince McMahon. People didnt know if it would be fake like wrestling or a real event. Also the talant in the XFL wasnt too good. I mean HE HATE ME says it all.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like football as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time watching 'bad football. And if it's not NFL or NCAA, it's probably going to be 'bad' football.
Old 05-31-2007   #17
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Read the article
I understand they would like to compete for players drafted below the 2nd, but realistically we are talking about 2nd day picks mostly. Players drafted in the 3rd at least have some job security in the NFL because they know the league won't fold in a year or two and most teams don't give up on their 3rd rounders for a few years if they are at least able to supply quality depth. I think the salary would have to be considerably higher in this new league, or the league would have to target players drafted by bad teams, to get any late first day, early second day players to defect. Otherwise, you're left with basically the same type players that are being allocated to NFLE.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #18
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL could use some healthy competition. I think that we could have teams in some of the markets that the NFL is missing. What a great idea to provide a league with some 3rd round - UFA talent and some bad apples that the NFL won't sign. It has to work!!!

Sincerely,
Vince McMahon
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
I understand they would like to compete for players drafted below the 2nd, but realistically we are talking about 2nd day picks mostly. Players drafted in the 3rd at least have some job security in the NFL because they know the league won't fold in a year or two and most teams don't give up on their 3rd rounders for a few years if they are at least able to supply quality depth. I think the salary would have to be considerably higher in this new league, or the league would have to target players drafted by bad teams, to get any late first day, early second day players to defect. Otherwise, you're left with basically the same type players that are being allocated to NFLE.
That's one way to look at it...

Here's another:

If I'm a third rounder coming out of college, and this new leauge guarantees me more money than I'd be making in the NFL and basically guarantee me I'd be a starter, and quite possibly a star in the leauge I'd definitely consider it....There's talented players in every leauge from NFLE, to AFL, to these little semi-pro teams....IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could get some quality football players....look at all the players drafted in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round this year....you have some guys that were 'stars' in college but because of issues off field slipped to later rounds...and you also have guys with semi-big names who slipped because of the combine or workouts....

No one is suggesting that the talent will be as good as the NFL, but if it is a step above or below the NCAA I'd watch it....of course that's just my personal opinion, but I seriously doubt that if it were a step above or below college football that others wouldn't feel the same way I would...
Old 05-31-2007   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree completely with the concept. I love football and that is their selling point. Their isn't enough football. I'm just trying to figure out how it will all work out. Will it end up being developmental and a better version of NFL Europe or will it be competition?The best non-NFL league IMHO was the USFL because they had Jim Kelly, Young, H. Walker, etc. I thought they had cool unis too. I have no complaints I just think you'd have a hard time competing with the Jerry Jones of the world when it comes to power in a league and there are many other owners, like JJ, with some major power to maybe quash many moves another league might offer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read