Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2007   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Texans want more big plays from safeties

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4846126.html

Quote:

The Texans want a playmaker at free safety this season, so they are getting creative.

C.C. Brown returns as the starter, but the Texans are giving other players serious looks at that spot. Dexter McCleon has converted from cornerback to free safety. Von Hutchins is also taking repetitions there.

If someone else wins the starting job, Brown could be moved back to his natural position at strong safety, where he would compete with Glenn Earl for playing time.

"They all have to improve at getting turnovers," defensive backs coach Jon Hoke said. "We have not been very good at that. With Glenn and C.C., you have two guys that are physical guys and can tackle and will hit people and those types of things. But they both understand we need to find ways to get our hands on the ball and create more turnovers."
Quote:

"You have to have a physical presence back there, and then those guys have to be able to cover too in tough situations," coach Gary Kubiak said. "When you play people like the Colts, you have to make decisions like, 'Are you going to play them in the nickel or are you going to play with your base defense on the field?' And when you have safeties that can do a lot, you can stay in your base defense."

Hutchins, who is entering his fourth NFL season, hasn't played safety since his days at Mississippi. The Texans signed Hutchins off the street last November and re-signed him in the offseason. He remains one of their most versatile defensive backs.
Quote:

McCleon, an 11-year veteran, played free safety during part of his six-year stint with St. Louis. He has 31 career interceptions and four forced fumbles.

"We know what Dexter can do outside as a veteran corner, and we have some young guys we need to look at," Kubiak said. "So if he was outside, the reps would be limited. He very unselfishly said, 'I'll go inside and try to make this football team inside.' I think a lot of Dexter McCleon. He brought a lot to our team last year and he's looked very good."

Even though McCleon and Hutchins are working at free safety, the starting job belongs to Brown. Kubiak said just by adding the new guys to the mix, he has seen it boost the play of Brown and Earl.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #2
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronic: Texans want more big plays from safeties

While more INTs would be great, but after last season, I will be happy if our safeties don't bite on every play action and at least make it difficult for teams to exploit the deep middle of the field. If they can do that, the INTs will come.

Last edited by TexanAddict; 05-30-2007 at 12:24 PM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

INT's would be nice, but I'd settle for just not letting WR's catch the ball all the time.
Old 05-30-2007   #4
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like FS has always been a problem of ours. Wasn't Matt Stevens our first FS? Marlon McCree was probably our best FS we ever had and we let him get away. Marcus Coleman proved to be a joke at FS, but what's new with FS?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #5
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

When I first saw this article I thought "Duh" like we all don't already know that. But it got me thinking that is the one area that we didn't address this year. There were plenty of options too, either FA (Hamilin) or Draft (4 top prospects). I don't understand why we didn't address it, but it looks like they are trying a few things in OTA's. I just hope that one of the options they are looking at works out, or it could be another year of big pass plays against our defense.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
When I first saw this article I thought "Duh" like we all don't already know that. But it got me thinking that is the one area that we didn't address this year. There were plenty of options too, either FA (Hamilin) or Draft (4 top prospects). I don't understand why we didn't address it, but it looks like they are trying a few things in OTA's. I just hope that one of the options they are looking at works out, or it could be another year of big pass plays against our defense.
I'm right there with you! It's easy to blame the CB, but our "over-the-top" rotational coverage just blew chunks last year and that led directly to some really big plays.
Old 05-30-2007   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was told that one of our draft picks played left safety and might satisfy our need somewhat, so I guess you can say it was addressed. As the new DC of the Texans, I will do the following on passing plays, have a LB on left side bump the receiver within the 5 yards of LOS and then release. The left CB picks up the receiver (if he remains on his feet) and the "left"safety supports the play. Of course my new and improved Dline presses the QB into hurrying the throw as does an occasional blitz from Mr. Jason Babin and D R. Besides, I have been assured by our OC that we will be outscoring all opponents regardless what my defense does. So as the song says "have a nice day!"
Old 05-30-2007   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

the kid from Stanford could project out to a Free Safety, I just don't think we should expect much from him this year. Harrison has some qualities that could help him at FS but to ask a rookie to change positions AND contribute is asking too much. It looks like CCBrown/Earl are our starters at Safety.

I was hoping Merriweather's baggage would have fallen to our early 3rd Round but that turned out to be a huge pipedream. The Pats didn't hesitate when his name came up. At that point, we were pretty much digging through the bottom of the Safety barrel.

Are there any potential salary cap cuts in June for any quality FS talent? We really should have gone after Deon Grant or Karvashian (sic) harder.....
Old 05-30-2007   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391709 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
We really should have gone after Deon Grant or Karvashian (sic) harder.....
Deon Grant is now the third highest paid safety in the league and he sure isn't the third best safety.
Old 05-30-2007   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the kid from Stanford could project out to a Free Safety, I just don't think we should expect much from him this year. Harrison has some qualities that could help him at FS but to ask a rookie to change positions AND contribute is asking too much. It looks like CCBrown/Earl are our starters at Safety.

I was hoping Merriweather's baggage would have fallen to our early 3rd Round but that turned out to be a huge pipedream. The Pats didn't hesitate when his name came up. At that point, we were pretty much digging through the bottom of the Safety barrel.

Are there any potential salary cap cuts in June for any quality FS talent? We really should have gone after Deon Grant or Karvashian (sic) harder.....
Without knowing the ramification of salary dumps on cap: Flannagan, Gado, Lundy, David Anderson, McKinney are possibles
Old 05-30-2007   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Deon Grant is now the third highest paid safety in the league and he sure isn't the third best safety.
yup but that is the nature of FA. Is Nate Clements practically the best player in the league? Are Adalius Thomas or Leonard Davis amongst the tops at their position? Well, they are financially. Even though they overpaid, both the Pats and Cowboys significantly helped their teams by signing those players. As long as they don't turn into dead capspace 1 or 2 years later, I don't mind overpaying.

that being said, i get what you are saying. Grant is probably barely in the Top 10 FS in the league. we probably had thoughts of going after Grant hard but were scared away by his asking price. RS has shown that he is frugal and isn't going to overpay for people like the previous regime....I will always give him credit for that.

Maybe once we get rid of all the dead capspace from 'b-level' Free Agents we can start spending more money on the Top FAs who can actually make a difference.
Old 05-31-2007   #12
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

we sure could use Mcree right now, another of the releases I didnt understand. about all we can do is stick Harrison in there with the dime package and see how he matures, maybe he can move to FS some time later in the season, other than that we have Fletcher and Mccleon, thats assuming bennett wins the CB2 spot, I love petey at the nickel, but he is no CB2.
Old 05-31-2007   #13
real

I think Faggins is a good corner...I think he is more than capable of playing opposite D-rob...I'm not sure who'll win that spot, but as of right now my vote is for Petey...

I haven't seen a heck of a lot of Bennett, but from what I've seen I think he is either the third, or fourth corner....I don't think our corners were all that bad last year...I think a lot of the passes we gave up were do to playcalling, no pass rush, and our safety situation...Of course the corners aren't blameless, but I do think they're on the good side of terrible...
Old 05-31-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I think Faggins is a good corner...I think he is more than capable of playing opposite D-rob...I'm not sure who'll win that spot, but as of right now my vote is for Petey...

I haven't seen a heck of a lot of Bennett, but from what I've seen I think he is either the third, or fourth corner....I don't think our corners were all that bad last year...I think a lot of the passes we gave up were do to playcalling, no pass rush, and our safety situation...Of course the corners aren't blameless, but I do think they're on the good side of terrible...
I sure hope you are right and at least Coach agrees with you on Petey. I like the guy but remember being upset with him at various times last season. I still see our secondary as the most glaring weakness.
Old 05-31-2007   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

CC back @ any safety position...............

Counting on 31 year old McCleon to contribute back there..........
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #16
real

C.C and Glen Earl both starting.........priceless
Old 05-31-2007   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

That headline is so silly. "Texans want more big plays from safeties" as opposed to "Texans want more less plays from safeties"?

I'll settle for "Texans want any big plays from safeties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
the articles got me a little bit pumped. kubiak talking about how the competition is elevating their play....it's like....the coach...can....make the team.....better by his words and actions? coaching? unreal.

2nd honeymoon, not minding the overpayment of players is what got us into this mess in the first place. bunch of old, useless players still making a pretty penny off of us. you say you don't mind overpaying and the you say wait until the cap is clear. one or the other, man.
I think you misunderstood. The overpaying of 'B and C level' FA such as Wade, Greenwood, Robaire, Moulds, and Carr are what I have a problem with. You overpay for players that arent even that good to begin with. That isn't a good idea. As the 49ers will attest, you got to pay huge money to get quality players (ex. Nate Clement) but they can now go to bed knowing that their #1 CB position is locked up for the next 3-5 years.

When you pay market value (aka overpaying for top free agents) for a 'A level' FA you pay for it but at least you get a return on your investment and a guy amongst the best at his position. You get a player that can help you win and make a difference. basically, I would rather pay for one 'A level' FA than 2 or 3 'B level' FA. The previous regime would overpay for anyone they got and would never get the cream of the crop. Then we would end up cutting the guys we signed because they werent that effective to begin with and not worth the money we spent.

This offseason RS managed to get one of the best RB free agents and didn't have to overpay for him. His salary is large but only if he keeps his job and the signing bonus was not outrageous. It is obvious that the current FO has a better handle on how the NFL works financially.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 05-31-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
we sure could use Mcree right now, another of the releases I didnt understand. about all we can do is stick Harrison in there with the dime package and see how he matures, maybe he can move to FS some time later in the season, other than that we have Fletcher and Mccleon, thats assuming bennett wins the CB2 spot, I love petey at the nickel, but he is no CB2.
I agree. Marlon was one of the few playmakers we ever had. He probably said something bad about Lil' Davey and got run.
Old 05-31-2007   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. Marlon was one of the few playmakers we ever had. He probably said something bad about Lil' Davey and got run.
That doesn't really say much for our FS talent in the past, because I don't think McRee was that good to begin with.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read