Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2007   #21
real

Default Re: Chronic: Texans' Mathis eager to get on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
while others like Reggie Bush
don't seem to have the same versatility.
You're kidding right ?
Old 05-29-2007   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
You're kidding right ?
He's talking about kicking and punting returns and Bush had zero kick returns last year.
Old 05-29-2007   #23
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He's talking about kicking and punting returns and Bush had zero kick returns last year.
If you're judging their ability to do it from the amount of KR's then Ginn shouldn't be on the "outstanding" list because he's had the same amount of KR's in the NFL as Reggie...

IMHO, I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Reggie doesn't have the "versatility" to return kick-offs...I think it's fairly obvious that he does...

Last edited by real; 05-29-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2007   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you're judging their ability to do it from the amount of KR's then Ginn shouldn't be on the "outstanding" list because he's had the same amount of KR's in the NFL as Reggie has...
Oh, get serious-the point isn't the number zero it is that Bush's coaches looked at his style and decided not to use him on kick returns. By the reports so far, Ginn's coaches are planning on using him for both.
Old 05-29-2007   #25
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Oh, get serious-the point isn't the number zero it is that Bush's coaches looked at his style and decided not to use him on kick returns.
Really ?

Do you have a link, because honestly I'd be interested in reading that...

I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was already the back-up RB, a punt returner and slot reciever....I thought they just didn't want to wear him out....

Either way, I still think it's non sense to say he doesn't have the versatility to return kick-offs...that seems rather silly IMO....I mean, who actually looks at RB and says to themselves "I'd hate to have that guy returning kicks for me, he'd be terrible" ???
Old 05-29-2007   #26
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
He tried punts before, and wasn't that good at it. PR guys tend to be quicker, shiftier, and usually have a smaller stature. KR tend to have more height/size and straight line footspeed. Some guys can do both, but many teams have a different PR and KR. In this case, putting Mathis at PR seems to be putting a square peg into a round hole, especially since they tried it, and it failed once.
I don't recall them trying that, but then again I don't read everything out there so I'lll take your word. The only thing is you say they tried and it failed, but isn't that the case with him at WR too?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #27
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

And now Mathis will miss this week of OTA's to be with his family since his father died on Saturday.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2007   #28
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean, who actually looks at RB and says to themselves "I'd hate to have that guy returning kicks for me, he'd be terrible" ???
Well, he DOES wear Tony Hollings' old number, so if you're not watching a game closely, one could make that mistake...until you realized that the #25 in question didn't fumble as soon as someone brushed up against him.

I feel like we're back to the old JJ Moses argument. Here's a guy with special teams talent but almost no pro talent at WR. There are differences, too: JJ had short-range skills but couldn't break the long return. Mathis has insane speed but Domanick Davis-like reliability.

By the time camp's over, we'll have a good idea of whether the next JJ (Jones) can be the speed guy, which may make Mathis expendable. But competition at other roster spots could (and I believe will) bring this down to a numbers game. You don't lightly cut a Pro Bowler with game-changing ability, but if someone's excelling at another position and Mathis is headed PUPward again, I think he's gone. Let's face it: if he's not on the active roster, it's not a hard choice to make.

I love to watch the guy, and I hope he's back this season.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Maybe Kubiak needs to have Mathis start fielding punts then. I would think it would be an easier than having him learn the whole WR position.
I thought he had a problem holding on to the ball as a punt returner, IIRC.

It's a different mentality catching kick returns without the pressure of coverage.
Old 05-29-2007   #30
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Really ?

I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was already the back-up RB, a punt returner and slot reciever....I thought they just didn't want to wear him out....

Either way, I still think it's non sense to say he doesn't have the versatility to return kick-offs...that seems rather silly IMO....I mean, who actually looks at RB and says to themselves "I'd hate to have that guy returning kicks for me, he'd be terrible" ???

Bush was a decent return man in college but was certainly overhyped in that department. Good PR, not so much at KR. his kick return #'s are rather pedestrian actually....

and i still remember that opening kickoff in the 2005 championship game when he got plastered on the 10 yard line.

some stats here if your really that interested
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #31
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Really ?

wow, did you fall flat out in love at first sight with RB or did it develop over time lol
Old 05-30-2007   #32
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
Bush was a decent return man in college but was certainly overhyped in that department. Good PR, not so much at KR. his kick return #'s are rather pedestrian actually....

and i still remember that opening kickoff in the 2005 championship game when he got plastered on the 10 yard line.

some stats here if your really that interested
You're confused....

I never said RB was a great Kick returner...I never even said he was above average...In fact I never said anything relating to how good he was at it...

The question was whether he had the versatility to do it...I'm not going to continue on with this in this thread, but IMHO it's rather asanine to say RB doesn't have the "versatility" to return kick offs...be for real...
Old 05-30-2007   #33
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
It's my fault for mentioning Bush's name, but since I have, I can't help but mention how I marvel at his continued hype on ESPN. I thought it would cool off with a new rookie class entering the league and the novelty of his rookie year and entrance into the league being very old news by now.
You mentioned his college career. Well his cross town rival at UCLA, Maurice Drew-Jones, had a better rookie year than Bush as all know and is a more complete player, and he rarely gets mentioned by the media. His own teammate, Marques Colson, also had a better rookie year but his name usually doesn't pop-up in a conversation about the Saints and their upcoming season. Certainly no where within light-years of Bush's hype.
He is without question the NFLs answer to Paris Hilton.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #34
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
You're confused....

I never said RB was a great Kick returner...I never even said he was above average...In fact I never said anything relating to how good he was at it...

The question was whether he had the versatility to do it...I'm not going to continue on with this in this thread, but IMHO it's rather asanine to say RB doesn't have the "versatility" to return kick offs...be for real...

I sorta read it as he was goot at returning. Seems to me there isnt much difference but I guess there is one. You are right, he does have the combination of shiftiness and speed to get out of jams and break the long one but somehoe his vision just doesnt translate in the kick return game.

Im sure you could find someone less "versatile" then RB to return your kicks, thats for sure
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this RB stuff ended around here the moment the Texans passed on him ?!?

Wishful thinking ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #36
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I thought he had a problem holding on to the ball as a punt returner, IIRC.

It's a different mentality catching kick returns without the pressure of coverage.
As far as I recall, the PR experience he got was during the start of his NFL career, hence the nervousness (sp).

The way I look at it, IF we can get Mathis to do both PR's and KR's, why have him do anything else? I'm guessing that a team punts and kicks around 8-10 times during a game, and if the same players recieves them all, I'm guessing we're fairly close to the average amount of receptions a reciever gets during a game.
So, call Mathis a return reciever and he'll be likely to produce at least as many yards as most other recievers on the team, and if that is not worth a roster spot, I don't know what is.

That is, if he's healthy and if he now has the return experience to be able to do PR's too.
Old 06-01-2007   #37
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
As far as I recall, the PR experience he got was during the start of his NFL career, hence the nervousness (sp).

The way I look at it, IF we can get Mathis to do both PR's and KR's, why have him do anything else? I'm guessing that a team punts and kicks around 8-10 times during a game, and if the same players recieves them all, I'm guessing we're fairly close to the average amount of receptions a reciever gets during a game.
So, call Mathis a return reciever and he'll be likely to produce at least as many yards as most other recievers on the team, and if that is not worth a roster spot, I don't know what is.

That is, if he's healthy and if he now has the return experience to be able to do PR's too.
I dont think its a matter of experience for Mathis, his skills are speed and vision, wich doesnt help hardly at all on punt returns, you need to be able to take a hit, break tackles, elude pursuit(agility). you have to be a much more physical type for punts. IMHO

DB/WR usually do best at KR, RB's and physical WR's usually do better at PR.
Old 06-01-2007   #38
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I dont think its a matter of experience for Mathis, his skills are speed and vision, wich doesnt help hardly at all on punt returns, you need to be able to take a hit, break tackles, elude pursuit(agility). you have to be a much more physical type for punts. IMHO

DB/WR usually do best at KR, RB's and physical WR's usually do better at PR.
You might be right, but even with the KRs alone, one could argue that that's enough yards to justify a spot?
Old 06-01-2007   #39
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i hope mathis gets heathly and gets some time on the offense cause with speed like his.. he could do some amazing things... and have yall seen him at the OTA's with the dark visor.... looks tight
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
i hope mathis gets heathly and gets some time on the offense cause with speed like his.. he could do some amazing things... and have yall seen him at the OTA's with the dark visor.... looks tight
Visor may be great but he needs to be on the field and that ain't happening til TC.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read