Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2004   #1
El_DudeArino
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to El_DudeArino Send a message via Yahoo to El_DudeArino
Exclamation What's Wrong With Domanick Davis?

Should we trade him?
Old 10-31-2004   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He is probably a 3rd down back long term for us. He isn't going anywhere.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looked like he was limping in the second half and then Wells was playing. Might be hurt again.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #4
phan1
All Pro

Default DD still needs some more repetition...

Dammit, you beat me to the "DD Post"! Anyway...

Well, DD didn't run too well today, and for the first time I can actually say that he is part of the problem. I've been really vocal about saying that it is the Line not opening holes for him, NOT DD. Well, I can't really say that this week. He was too tentitive in the hole today, which is odd because I've seen him hit the whole very well this year. I really like his shifty, lateral movement, but you've got to hit the whole first. He was shifting and moving before hitting the hole. He needs to start running right at the hole and then make cuts.

That all said, DD is still a threat coming out of the backfield. I've been pretty critical about us dumping the ball off to DD too often, but I really don't mind it when the ball is getting spread around to other guys. When you've got players like Gaffney, AJ, Miller, Bruner, Armstrong, and Bradford (5 guys that can all be depended on to contribute!!!), there is no reason that DD should account for 40% of your offense (like in the first few games of the season). DD should just be another option for Carr out of the backfield. No more, no less. You cannot be predictable and have linebackers waiting to make plays on DD whenever he catches a dump-off.

Plus, for a little guy, he is a GREAT BLOCKER. Usually, you really don't want these small RBs blocking for you, especially with big DEs and linebackers coming after your QB. But he just played fantastic in the passing game today. This gives him great versatility, as he can be a passing threat and be a pass blocker for Carr.

When all is said and done, I think DD is still a great contirbuter to our offense, and he is still our starting RB. I think he just needs some more repititions in the running game and get used to this "zone-blocking" scheme. Some sharing time between him and Wells would be good too. This will be a big learning year for him.

Also, I don't want to sound a little immature but it looked like we were kind of running a West-Coast Offense today! :woot Lots of 3-step drops, Carr out of the pocket, short passes, and Yac yardage for our recievers. Does that remind you of anything?

Last edited by phan1; 10-31-2004 at 05:00 PM.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #5
supertankman
Rookie

Its not his fault the jags defense stuffed the middle today, The problem with Davis is he had no where to run, I dont think any back would have gotten anywhere today against that d, Whats the jags running d ranked?
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertankman
Its not his fault the jags defense stuffed the middle today, The problem with Davis is he had no where to run, I dont think any back would have gotten anywhere today against that d, Whats the jags running d ranked?
Run to the outside. Oh wait. Davis doesnt have the speed to get to the outside...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #7
GeauxTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He is probably a 3rd down back long term for us. He isn't going anywhere.
I agree. He is a very good receiver and good blocker and will be a good #2 back but we need a real workhorse type RB (i.e. Duece, Stephen Davis, etc...) or course that is easy to say and much harder to get. D.D. is a good player just not a good starting running back. He and the Texans would be better served if he did not have to start.
GeauxTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2004   #8
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i disagree i think D.D can still be our starter and our running game will be more affective as the year goes on. Jacksonville has a monster line and they arent easy to run against i thin he did a pretty solid job with what he was givin !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #9
GeauxTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
i disagree i think D.D can still be our starter and our running game will be more affective as the year goes on. Jacksonville has a monster line and they arent easy to run against i thin he did a pretty solid job with what he was givin !
I like D.D. as a player (I watched him in college) but I think we will have to agree to disagree. Today Davis rushed 22 times for 56 yards thats 2.5 per carry, not good.
GeauxTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw him take a shot to the leg in the 4th and he took himself out.

Jags are tough up the middle. DD wasn't going to get many yards today anyway.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #11
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I saw him take a shot to the leg in the 4th and he took himself out.

Jags are tough up the middle. DD wasn't going to get many yards today anyway.

he took himself out? sounds like he needs to learn how to play hurt. he doesnt seem to play throught those little injuries that other players play through. i think the fumbles early are still on his mind also.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #12
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Run to the outside. Oh wait. Davis doesnt have the speed to get to the outside...
Oh my God, how long will you be stuck on that, DD doesnt run a 4.4 put Hollings in the game mentality. He didnt have very many running lanes this game because the whole Jags defense line played well against the run. I still believe that DD is capable of producing the way he did his rookie year. He has just been a little dinged up.
Old 10-31-2004   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he took himself out? sounds like he needs to learn how to play hurt
He was limping noticeably. You want a guy who can barely walk in the backfield with the game on the line? I don't. He's not durable. We knew that a year ago.
Old 10-31-2004   #14
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Oh my God, how long will you be stuck on that, DD doesnt run a 4.4 put Hollings in the game mentality. He didnt have very many running lanes this game because the whole Jags defense line played well against the run. I still believe that DD is capable of producing the way he did his rookie year. He has just been a little dinged up.
Did I say put Hollings in during my last statement. I havent metioned that Hollings should play since before the Oakland game. The ends on the Jags d-line werent having that great of a day and if Davis had some speed, you could of blocked down on the DE's and lanes on the outside would of been open. I am tired of Davis being dinged up. It is better for the team if he doesnt play dinged up than him trying to play because his 2.7 yard per carry average just isnt cutting it. Davis could run the ball 4 times and barely make a first down. I would rather have Wells at full strength than Davis at 99%. And can someone tell me when was the last time Davis wasnt 'dinged up'???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 10-31-2004   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of the opinion that DD's biggest problem today was the Jaguars run defense. They were closing holes quickly and there simply wasn't a lot of room to run out there. His second biggest problem was that he really wasn't the DD we've come to know and love. He might not be back to that until he gets some more confidence under him. What the Texans need is a game against someone who can't stop the run so that Davis can get himself going again. When he's playing the way we all know he can play then he can make extra yards and find the openings. Today there weren't many off them and the ones that were there he didn't see/pop through.
Old 10-31-2004   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm of the opinion that DD's biggest problem today was the Jaguars run defense.
I'd buy that if we played the Jags every week, but coming into this game Davis was averaging 2.9 yards per carry...and it dropped after today...

Old 10-31-2004   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Has anyone mentioned DD's block that gave Carr time to hit Bradford for the first TD? Not sure if that even made it on TV but Carr doesn't throw that TD without DD's block.
Old 10-31-2004   #18
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Has anyone mentioned DD's block that gave Carr time to hit Bradford for the first TD? Not sure if that even made it on TV but Carr doesn't throw that TD without DD's block.
That was a great block...actually slowed down two defenders.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #19
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And can someone tell me when was the last time Davis wasnt 'dinged up'???

That would be preseason.

I'm not giving up on the kid yet. He's holding onto the ball again, and that's step 1. Step 2 will be making moves like he did in the first 2 games, when his only problem WAS holding onto the ball. I still like the way they're working Wells into the game, just in case we have to make a permanent change down the road.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #20
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Wells couldn't get anywhere today either. Maybe the run portion of this new zone blocking plan hasn't caught up to level of the pass portion.

Just a thought. I'm definitely not an X and O geek.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read