Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2007   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Texans showing serious interest in DT Sam Adams

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884143

it looks like the Texans are possible front runners in looking to pickup DT Sam Adams who got released by the Bengals. I have always liked this guy even when he was an Aggie. He is old and due to other team's interest, he won't be cheap...but I think we could really help ourselves. If memory serves me, he played in the 3-4 a lot early in his career but to have a 4 deep DT squad of Okoye, Adams, TJ, Maddox would be really nice. He could really help stop the run in the middle and allow Okoye to focus on penetration.

I completely endorse getting Sam Adams as long as we don't overpay. What do we have to lose?
Old 05-27-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Texans showing serious interest in DT Sam Adams

I'd like the pick up...

He'd certainly free Meco up...
Old 05-27-2007   #3
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

good post, just kinda feel that yeah we're trying to get some veterns in there to help our rookies and I don't think he'd be satisfied as a back up
Old 05-27-2007   #4
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

we have another problem, only so many roster spots, carrying 4 DT is a bit much, it would take away from something else we are not so deep at. IMHO

Edit : actuallly that would be 5 DT's definately overkill
Old 05-27-2007   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Signing Adams would pretty much be the end of Travis Johnson as a Houston Texan.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
we have another problem, only so many roster spots, carrying 4 DT is a bit much, it would take away from something else we are not so deep at. IMHO

right, but how many will make it out of training camp and the preseason?

i wouldn't mind this signing too much even though he's in his 14th season... seems like our defense is going to be fun to watch this season.
Old 05-27-2007   #7
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Definitely seems like overkill @ the DT position. What went wrong with TJ?
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2007   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post

you're assuming we're keeping TJ..

a 4 dt rotation is ok.. especially when you have guys who can be involved in GL defences- plus we dont know how much zgonina has left in him (like adams) so bringing him in to battle for 1 of those 4 spots wouldn't hurt imo
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #9
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 20 Wolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of Famer
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

On one hand I'm all for picking up Adams and shopping or cutting TJ. I would rather have a vet that knows what he's doing than and guy that doesn't care about being an NFL player.

On the other, do you want to sign a 14 year veteran? Isn't that a bit too old?

Prepare to meet your DOOM!
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl View Post
On one hand I'm all for picking up Adams and shopping or cutting TJ. I would rather have a vet that knows what he's doing than and guy that doesn't care about being an NFL player.

I wouldn't mind picking up a 70 year old man at DT so long as he could stop the run.....
Old 05-27-2007   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Adams would be the space eater at DT that we have missed just as much as a left tackle. Who cares if he's old? As long as he is fat and can still occupy blockers, he will be fine. Amobi is the playmaking DT. Could be like the Williams combo for the Vikings
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl View Post

I'd love the signing. I don't think I could think select a better mentor for Okoye at this point in the FA period and that's where the 14 years come in play. Okoye is too young and Adams is too old. I'd call that some serious counterbalancing by the Houston Texans and it's a move I'd love.

Will it happen? I seriously doubt it. We don't have the money. Just because we're agressively pursuing this fellow doesn't mean it's a given. Also, I'd really hope the Texans would wait a mite bit longer and see who becomes available this Friday (June 1st cuts) before committing a chunk of the cap towards Adams. I'm still hoping for a prime free safety to be released come Friday.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I wouldn't mind picking up a 70 year old man at DT so long as he could stop the run.....
couldn't have said it better. let's get this deal done.

why am I not surprised you endorse this deal TL

i'll take a Samuel Adams any day
Old 05-27-2007   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I say if he can play and it doesn't cost too much sign him.
Random question can Eric Wilbur kick fgs? If so, we can cut both Stanley and Brown, save a roster spot and carry an extra positon player.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

While it would be cool to have him for a year just for the mentoring and leadership skills alone, I'd bet that he comes at too high of a price.
Old 05-27-2007   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
his head's disproportionately large. sammy's been juicing.
Old 05-27-2007   #18
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
While it would be cool to have him for a year just for the mentoring and leadership skills alone, I'd bet that he comes at too high of a price.

His beer is pretty expensive too...
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
His beer is pretty expensive too...
especially this one.
Old 05-27-2007   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884143

it looks like the Texans are possible front runners in looking to pickup DT Sam Adams who got released by the Bengals. I have always liked this guy even when he was an Aggie. He is old and due to other team's interest, he won't be cheap...but I think we could really help ourselves. If memory serves me, he played in the 3-4 a lot early in his career but to have a 4 deep DT squad of Okoye, Adams, TJ, Maddox would be really nice. He could really help stop the run in the middle and allow Okoye to focus on penetration.

I completely endorse getting Sam Adams as long as we don't overpay. What do we have to lose?
I read this article again and I don't see where it states that we're the front runners? All I got out of it was that he's tentatively scheduled to meet with the Houston Texans. Maybe you have another source that pinpoints where you're getting your information from? I'd love to read up on that.

I also read a little futher and noticed that Adams is primarily a two gap defender and Okoye is a three gap defender. I mentioned in a post earlier today that I'd love this signing and would only see it as to be extremely beneficial to Okoye. I just may have been incorrect on thinking that. With that in mind, would any of you 'gurus' elaborate on this? Would a two gap defender be a good mentor for a rising young three gap defender?
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read