Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2004   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
Wells couldn't get anywhere today either.
Perhaps turning around and running backwards as you approach a defender isn't as solid a technique as Wells seems to think it is.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I have six words for you. Texans number one pick, Cedric Benson. ...1,2,3,4,5,6...ok good.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #23
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
He was limping noticeably. You want a guy who can barely walk in the backfield with the game on the line? I don't. He's not durable. We knew that a year ago.
actually i didnt see him. but he will have to start playing through bruises and and a little pain(all the other players do). carr and lefty both did today.

i think he has the talent to be our everydown back. but he has to want to play through some injuries. hes not breaking bones, hes getting nicked up and hes not playing through it.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #24
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I have six words for you. Texans number one pick, Cedric Benson. ...1,2,3,4,5,6...ok good.
I think I'd rather pick up Adrian Peterson in this year's draft after some "creative" changes on his records. 'Whats that Mr. Peterson?' 'You're 3 years removed from your graduating class?' 'You're 21 you say?' 'Well sure welcome to the NFL rookie.'
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #25
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I think I'd rather pick up Adrian Peterson in this year's draft after some "creative" changes on his records. 'Whats that Mr. Peterson?' 'You're 3 years removed from your graduating class?' 'You're 21 you say?' 'Well sure welcome to the NFL rookie.'

Na Benson looks good to me ! Texas has always produced very good running running backs and benson is looking pretty good i bet he will go fast and if we keep winning he'll prolly be gone before we get our first pick !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #26
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i hope we dont draft a running back number 1. we need some d-lineman.
Old 10-31-2004   #27
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Benson will probably be gone, and I'm sure he'll be a very good RB. Adrian Peterson looks like a freak. In a couple more years whomever has a top 5 pick will have a shot at a great RB.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2004   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
That would be preseason.
Accually, Davis got hurt during training camp and missed the first two games of the preseason and came back against the Broncos and Tampa but was still a little out of sync...

I agree with texasguy346. We need to figure out how to get Adrian Peterson into this years draft. He is a stud. (And I am a UT fan)

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #29
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

As much as i dont have confidence in Davis to be the long term solution, I think Wells has shown something, and Hollings, a second round pick has yet to see significant time on the field. I'd much rather draft an offensive lineman who could really anchor our line, or a D lineman to sit and learn while Payne and Walker get older.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #30
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
i hope we dont draft a running back number 1. we need some d-lineman.
I still think we need a D Lineman too, but Payne has played much better the past couple games. He's gotten a good push up the middle, and Walker and Smith seem to be playing well too. It would be nice to have a good young DLineman, but I'm sure CC and DC will do what's best for the team. I'm hoping we don't have a replay of what happened to the Bengals DLineman against the Broncos OLine this next game.
Old 10-31-2004   #31
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

I am not saying DD sucks or is a bad running back. But I will be willing to bet we draft high for a running back next year.
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #32
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Ronnie Brown in the second round would be a STEAL
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #33
GeauxTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Ronnie Brown in the second round would be a STEAL
agreed
GeauxTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #34
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its hard to say which one is more of a need. I feel that to get a great back, you must find them in the draft. While you can find a good dline man via free agency. Now im not saying you cant trade for a good back, but that would be more expensive.

#1 Draft pick RB
pick up NT in Free Agency
#2 Draft pick DL
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #35
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me hit a few issues here

Davis has not been healthy since being in the pros. Had several injuires last year and always has a nagging this or that. For that reason alone he can't be the focus of the offense.

That said, Davis attempts to play through the injuries, but honestly he has too many. The reason he is not explosive is that he is not healthy, and unfortunately a year and half in I don't think he will ever be.

As for the draft, the only position that i am ruling out as first round material is QB. While DL seems the most glaring need, i expect that the Texans will be in a good position to go BPA and be able to justify taking any position where there is a potential "difference maker"
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #36
GeauxTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
That said, Davis attempts to play through the injuries, but honestly he has too many. The reason he is not explosive is that he is not healthy, and unfortunately a year and half in I don't think he will ever be.
I think Davis could be healthy, if he were are 3rd down back and backup RB and punt returner. D.D. has skills just not the frame to be an everydown back. He is and can be an assest to the team just not in the role he is currently in. That said, IMHO he is the best we currently have.
Old 10-31-2004   #37
utahmark
markbeth

im not 100% sure about this, but i think i heard that casserly doesnt like spending high draft picks on running backs. i hope thats true anyway.

imo a good offensive line will make a running back good. but even a great running back cant do much with a bad oline(barry sanders excluded). as our oline improves our running game will improve.
Old 10-31-2004   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He took Stephen Davis in the second round I believe.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #39
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTexans
I think Davis could be healthy, if he were are 3rd down back and backup RB and punt returner. D.D. has skills just not the frame to be an everydown back. He is and can be an assest to the team just not in the role he is currently in. That said, IMHO he is the best we currently have.
I am speaking of Davis cast in the role of "feature back". In fact, he would have more of a chance if the Texans did not feed him the ball 20-25 times a game. 15 might work better. he is the perfect committee candidate.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #40
GeauxTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I am speaking of Davis cast in the role of "feature back". In fact, he would have more of a chance if the Texans did not feed him the ball 20-25 times a game. 15 might work better. he is the perfect committee candidate.
I agree with you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read