Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2007   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good artilce on Mario by CBS Sportsline

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think part of what xtru is getting at is dropping 10 lbs may not make Mario any quicker and adding 10 lbs may not make him effectively any stronger. 10lbs doesn't effect everyone the same way.
We all know Mario is more suited to play strongside, some would even say as a DT, than on the weakside. If Mario has the kind of body-fat content of someone like J. Taylor or Jevon Kearsy at his present weight then leave him alone. But if he doesn't or losing a few pounds would elevate his speed just marginally, it might make a difference for him (and us).
Has anybody ever heard of a 290 weakside DE ? That's gotta be a record ?
He will be our best hope for press on the QB.

Last edited by nunusguy; 05-24-2007 at 07:18 PM.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #22
whiskeyrbl

Nice to hear positive things about our players. Maybe some of these reporters have noticed what we are doin' with this team.
Old 05-24-2007   #23
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Who knows? Maybe Young and Bush will be known as those other guys.
At least somebody outside of Houston metro sees things from our perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #24
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
At least somebody outside of Houston metro sees things from our perspective.

That would be nice to see.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #25
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Yeah I can see where 10 lbs would make a difference--wait, no I can't.
I thought the whole point of him getting a chef and eating healthier was to possibly make him quicker? Look... .keeping in shape, eating right, working out, practicing.... its all in the same goal of becoming a better... more of a quality player.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #26
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think part of what xtru is getting at is dropping 10 lbs may not make Mario any quicker and adding 10 lbs may not make him effectively any stronger. 10lbs doesn't effect everyone the same way.
Exactly......People have different frames designed for carrying different weights...Dropping weight doesn't automatically make you faster.....Mario already has limited body fat....The guy is in great shape, and already a physical freak....

I'm just saying that Mario's weight(+ or - 10 lbs.), at this point, is something insignificant as to whether he'll be a good football player this coming season....IMHO, very insignificant....

Last edited by real; 05-25-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2007   #27
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I thought the whole point of him getting a chef and eating healthier was to possibly make him quicker? Look... .keeping in shape, eating right, working out, practicing.... its all in the same goal of becoming a better... more of a quality player.
I thought the point of Mario getting a chef was because he didn't have time to prepare his own meals and he'd been stopping to get take out.

How is eating right going to make him quicker ?

He's already in shape....I'm pretty positive he already works out....I'm pretty sure he's been practicing....

Of course eating better is going to help him, and he may slim down a bit...but then again he may not...Heck, everybody would like to eat better though right ? Maybe he's just a regular person and he's thinking about being healthy at an old age ? Why does him eating better have to directly correlate to a goal he wants to achieve on the football field ? Maybe he's just like the rest of us and just wants to eat better? except he has millions and can afford a personal chef ?
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2007   #28
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
We all know Mario is more suited to play strongside, some would even say as a DT, than on the weakside. If Mario has the kind of body-fat content of someone like J. Taylor or Jevon Kearsy at his present weight then leave him alone. But if he doesn't or losing a few pounds would elevate his speed just marginally, it might make a difference for him (and us).
Has anybody ever heard of a 290 weakside DE ? That's gotta be a record ?
He will be our best hope for press on the QB.
I don't really understand the point you're making with Mario's weight...

I think you're assuming that just because he slims down a bit he'll be able to get to the QB faster and IMO, that is wrong. First of all slimming down doesn't neccessarily = faster or quicker; especially when he has little body fat to work with in the first place. Secondly, Mario's training is what would make him a better pass rusher i.e, working on his initial burst, hand placement, angles, footwork, and refining his moves....

I'm just trying to understand why everyone is correlating weight loss, or weight gain directly to his performance....Ten pounds either way is not going to greatly affect his game his football ability IMHO...
Old 05-25-2007   #29
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think if anything eating right and exercising more will make him leaner. and I don't care how quick he is now or strong, leaner will make him quicker and at the very least faster. I dont see him gaining nothing from getting healthier, he will benefit one way or another. I'll go out on a limb now though and predict Mario will be 10 to 15 lbs lighter come opening day. as long as he keeps his strength up it will only help him in the pass rush. DT no, losing weight would hurt, but not a RE pass rusher. IMHO

Go MARIO!

Last edited by TK_Gamer; 05-25-2007 at 02:09 PM.
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #30
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you're assuming that just because he slims down a bit he'll be able to get to the QB faster and IMO, that is wrong. First of all slimming down doesn't neccessarily = faster or quicker; especially when he has little body fat to work with in the first place. Secondly, Mario's training is what would make him a better pass rusher i.e, working on his initial burst, hand placement, angles, footwork, and refining his moves....

I'm just trying to understand why everyone is correlating weight loss, or weight gain directly to his performance....Ten pounds either way is not going to greatly affect his game his football ability IMHO...
When Kubiak took over last year, among many other things, he instructed his OLinemen to lose some lbs because he was going to run the ZB system which put a premium on quickness for his Oline. In Marios case, he's changing positions.
Now of course Mario appears to be far more fit than anybody that plays in our OLine, but nevertheless Mario with his move to and semi-permanent assignment to the weakside DE position he now assumes the role of being our most important pass-rusher where quickness is even more important than at all other DLine positions.
Therefor I would like to see a quicker version of Mario (if that's possible?) and if losing a few pounds, without compromising stamina or stength, would buy him just the smallist increment in quickness/speed off the edge then do it. If his weight is as is perfect, then of course don't mess with it. That's all I'm saying.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #31
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
When Kubiak took over last year, among many other things, he instructed his OLinemen to lose some lbs because he was going to run the ZB system which put a premium on quickness for his Oline. In Marios case, he's changing positions.
Now of course Mario appears to be far more fit than anybody that plays in our OLine, but nevertheless Mario with his move to and semi-permanent assignment to the weakside DE position he now assumes the role of being our most important pass-rusher where quickness is even more important than at all other DLine positions.
Therefor I would like to see a quicker version of Mario (if that's possible?) and if losing a few pounds, without compromising stamina or stength, would buy him just the smallist increment in quickness/speed off the edge then do it. If his weight is as is perfect, then of course don't mess with it. That's all I'm saying.
Just about everything I've read about Mario places him somewhere near 6-7.5 % body fat.

Comparing him losing weight to an offensive lineman, IMO, isn't much of a comparison.

I'm not saying that I don't want him to lose weight. I'm merely saying I don't care. If it made a difference at all, it wouldn't make near the difference that proper technique, training and experience will make.

That's all I'm saying. Mario losing 10 lbs is rather insignificant IMO.
Old 05-25-2007   #32
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just about everything I've read about Mario places him somewhere near 6-7.5 % body fat.

Comparing him losing weight to an offensive lineman, IMO, isn't much of a comparison.

I'm not saying that I don't want him to lose weight. I'm merely saying I don't care. If it made a difference at all, it wouldn't make near the difference that proper technique, training and experience will make.

I partially agree with you. I think if a person loses any weight while having that low of a body fat percentage he will be losing more muscle than fat. IMO, I'd rather see him add weight, if anything, rather than lose any. He's a freak at his weight presently.
Old 05-25-2007   #33
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
No, I don't. Not with Mario.

He needs to work on the finer points of the game at this point. He's already a physical freak. I don't think the loss or gain of 10lbs would make much of a difference. The difference in his game is going to be health, and experience. I could care less if he gained or loss weight.
Quote:
Just a difference of opinion in this one because I really can't see how adding or gaining 10 pounds directly results in success on the field. To me that would be a rather minor benefit if a benefit at all.
Quote:
No not really...

If you can play football you can play football. I've had to block all kinds of DE's...Small quick ones, Big slow ones and mixtures of both. Of course it makes a difference in how you block them, but their size had nothing to do with how good (or bad) they were. Mario can gain his 10 pounds but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't use good technique he'll suck. On the other hand he can stay at exactly the same weight and develop good technique and instincts and be great. I really don't think Mario gaining/los 10 lbs. would make that much of a difference in his performance on Sundays. JMO though.
Quote:
Exactly......People have different frames designed for carrying different weights...Dropping weight doesn't automatically make you faster.....Mario already has limited body fat....The guy is in great shape, and already a physical freak....

I'm just saying that Mario's weight(+ or - 10 lbs.), at this point, is something insignificant as to whether he'll be a good football player this coming season....IMHO, very insignificant....
Quote:

Quote:

Let me see if I got this right, what you are trying to say is.....

you don't think Mario losing 10 lbs. is gonna make any difference in his game.
Did I multi-quote you right?

just messin with ya
Old 05-25-2007   #34
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Let me see if I got this right, what you are trying to say is.....

you don't think Mario losing 10 lbs. is gonna make any difference in his game.
Did I multi-quote you right?

just messin with ya

LMAO....

It's all good....

P.S...mario losing 10 pounds is insignificant... IMO.....
Old 05-25-2007   #35
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

lol, you allways were consistent rofl

Mario is a Beast! at the very least this just means he's gonna be a healthier Beast!

Go Texans!

Last edited by TK_Gamer; 05-25-2007 at 02:42 PM.
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #36
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The only thing that I think a healthier diet could really help him with is his conditioning (not that its bad right now, but laying off fast food could benefit anyone).

He's already as strong as almost any OL guy out there and much quicker. His deficiencies at the moment are mental/intangible...he's got to go into every play knowing exactly what he wants to do to dominate the lineman in front of him, and then properly execute the moves. He also needs to do the Waterboy trick and get angry at whoever is blocking him..get the adrenaline going on as many plays as possible. He seems a lot like Yao in that respect...they can be good on a regular basis but don't show flashes of greatness until something really pisses them off.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007   #37
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Williams entered this month's organized team activities in better shape than a year ago. He also is making strides in his technique. He is working on improving his footwork and improving the way his hands work with his feet.

The Texans have Williams working exclusively at right end. Last year, he often practiced at various positions on the line. The solitary focus — and the addition of this year's first-round pick Amobi Okoye — should help Williams improve on his 4 1/2 -sack season.
a new article on mario from the chron

it also mentions about mcnair bringing him into his office after the youtube video
Old 05-26-2007   #38
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

I like the part about him working on technique and footwork during the offseason, and the workouts don't hurt either. I really think Mario will be the talk of the league this year defensively, and we should get a good preview of things to come from the Mario-Okoye deadly combo. I'm really looking forward to Texans football this year
Old 05-26-2007   #39
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

He was young when he came out and the coaching staff didn't do him any favors by moving him around so much at the begining of the season. If his foot is well and with that season of experience he Should make major strides this season.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #40
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Prisco article about mario.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10195551

doesn't say much that we didn't know... claims mario will be an all-pro within five years. foot's better, added okoye, blah blah.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read