Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2007   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Good article on Mario by CBS Sportsline

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10195551

Front page stuff of the NFL section. Good read... pretty much stresses what we know and expect if healthy. I love positive Texans media.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good artilce on Mario by CBS Sportsline

"Things are much more settled now. The Texans have moved Williams from the left end to the right side on a permanent basis. That's the side for pass rushers on most teams. It's usually where speedy 260-pound players come off the corner. At 6-feet-6 and 290 pounds, Williams is one of the bigger right ends.
To help prepare for the move, and hopefully increase his speed, he has hired a chef to help him with his eating. In the past, he would usually stop for fast food since he didn't really have time to cook. Now he has prepared meals waiting for him when he gets home, mostly healthy stuff. "
Good stuff !
And BTW, few strongside guys (if any?) are in the 290 range, let alone weakside DEs.
The chef is a smart move, far more so than the Lambo.
Maybe he can take 'bout 10 lbs off of Mario ? Yea, I like the sounds of 280
and it'd put a little more spring in that first step.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #3
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Taking a little weight off might also help keep his feet/toes healthy for the season.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Things are much more settled now. The Texans have moved Williams from the left end to the right side on a permanent basis. That's the side for pass rushers on most teams. It's usually where speedy 260-pound players come off the corner. At 6-feet-6 and 290 pounds, Williams is one of the bigger right ends.
To help prepare for the move, and hopefully increase his speed, he has hired a chef to help him with his eating. In the past, he would usually stop for fast food since he didn't really have time to cook. Now he has prepared meals waiting for him when he gets home, mostly healthy stuff. "
Good stuff !
And BTW, few strongside guys (if any?) are in the 290 range, let alone weakside DEs.
The chef is a smart move, far more so than the Lambo.
Maybe he can take 'bout 10 lbs off of Mario ? Yea, I like the sounds of 280
and it'd put a little more spring in that first step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
Taking a little weight off might also help keep his feet/toes healthy for the season.
I remember it being said last year that he could actually withstand another 10-15 pounds without losing much speed, if any. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but I think he's freak of nature (in a good way) at his present weight.
Old 05-24-2007   #5
real

Mario's weight is non-important. I just want to see some quality football out of him.
Old 05-24-2007   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Mario should have his year this year. Just think if we needed a DE this year, and #1 on the board was Gaines Adams.....

Mario Williams vs. Gaines Adams

Not even close.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Mario's weight is non-important. I just want to see some quality football out of him.
Unless it directly leads to more quality football.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario has the potential to have a great 2nd year, especially with Okoye putting pressure up the middle. Teams will have to account for both of them, and over time and added experience, it could be a duo that is a force to be reckoned with.

Thanks for posting the article! Good to hear some positive news about our team for a change.
Old 05-24-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Unless it directly leads to more quality football.
Yeah I can see where 10 lbs would make a difference--wait, no I can't.
Old 05-24-2007   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I can see where 10 lbs would make a difference--wait, no I can't.
You don't think 10lbs of muscle would make a difference? I do
Old 05-24-2007   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You don't think 10lbs of muscle would make a difference? I do

No, I don't. Not with Mario.

He needs to work on the finer points of the game at this point. He's already a physical freak. I don't think the loss or gain of 10lbs would make much of a difference. The difference in his game is going to be health, and experience. I could care less if he gained or loss weight.
Old 05-24-2007   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He needs to work on the finer points of the game at this point. He's already a physical freak. I don't think the loss or gain of 10lbs would make much of a difference. The difference in his game is going to be health, and experience. I could care less if he gained or loss weight.
I agree, Mario really needs to develop his technique to become that impact player.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #13
brip
Rookie

did Babin ever take the LE spot last year are was he only on the RE side. I worked overseas and miss a lot of games. I figured he may be to small for the LE.
brip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:

Health and experience would be the obvious difference in any players game.

Adding 10lbs of muscle would only improve the bull rush he so often used last season. Even if he becomes skilled on other techniques, I can only see it as being beneficial by adding muscle. Granted he wouldn't lose any quickness by adding this muscle.

I think we had this discussion last year too.
Old 05-24-2007   #15
real

Quote:
Health and experience would be the obvious difference in any players game.

Adding 10lbs of muscle would only improve the bull rush he so often used last season. Even if he becomes skilled on other techniques, I can only see benefits from adding muscle. Granted he wouldn't lose any quickness by adding this muscle.

I think we had this discussion last year too.
Just a difference of opinion in this one because I really can't see how adding or gaining 10 pounds directly results in success on the field. To me that would be a rather minor benefit if a benefit at all.
Old 05-24-2007   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Just a difference of opinion in this one because I really can't see how adding or gaining 10 pounds directly results in success on the field. To me that would be a rather minor benefit if a benefit at all.
That's cool. Agree to disagree.

With you being an Olineman (or former) I have one last question for you.

You wouldn't think there would be a difference blocking a 300lb DE that was 10-15% stronger than a DE at 290? Given they have comparable quickness.
Old 05-24-2007   #17
real

Quote:
That's cool. Agree to disagree.

With you being an Olineman (or former) I have one last question for you.

You wouldn't think there would be a difference blocking a 300lb DE that was 10-15% stronger than a DE at 290? Given they have comparable quickness.
No not really...

If you can play football you can play football. I've had to block all kinds of DE's...Small quick ones, Big slow ones and mixtures of both. Of course it makes a difference in how you block them, but their size had nothing to do with how good (or bad) they were. Mario can gain his 10 pounds but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't use good technique he'll suck. On the other hand he can stay at exactly the same weight and develop good technique and instincts and be great. I really don't think Mario gaining/los 10 lbs. would make that much of a difference in his performance on Sundays. JMO though.
Old 05-24-2007   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
No not really...

If you can play football you can play football. I've had to block all kinds of DE's...Small quick ones, Big slow ones and mixtures of both. Of course it makes a difference in how you block them, but their size had nothing to do with how good (or bad) they were. Mario can gain his 10 pounds but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't use good technique he'll suck. On the other hand he can stay at exactly the same weight and develop good technique and instincts and be great. I really don't think Mario gaining/los 10 lbs. would make that much of a difference in his performance on Sundays. JMO though.
Like I previously stated, I understand that health and technique have a major part in his developement. As it does with any player in the league. I understand that you answered no to the question, but your explaination was kind of 'beat around the bush' like. You never took in account of the added strength and compound it with the weight and speed. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 05-24-2007   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I agree, Mario really needs to develop his technique to become that impact player.
Absolutely. Learning effective techiques to pass rush is his most
important goal in preparation for playing DE this Fall.
But with Weaver, who is only a mediorce pass rusher, on the strongside Mario's speed and quickness at weakside as the primary pass-rush weapon becomes even more important while fewer double teams involving a TE mean power & size are less important.
I say give me a svelt, lightning-quick 280 pounder (or even in the 270s) who is more reminesent of a Jason Taylor.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I say give me a svelt, lightning-quick 280 pounder (or even in the 270s) who is more reminesent of a Jason Taylor.
I think part of what xtru is getting at is dropping 10 lbs may not make Mario any quicker and adding 10 lbs may not make him effectively any stronger. 10lbs doesn't effect everyone the same way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read