Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2007   #61
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Mathis Hamstring Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
True & I see your point. The difference is (at the time) we'd never had a legitimate TE who could both Catch AND Block. We'd already had JJ, who while not necesarily spectacular, WAS consistent and kept us out of the shadow of our own endzone.
This is true - we did suck at TE. JJ, with all his mediocre skills, was sadly the best we had - another example of settling for so so players. Jerome with his hamstring issues was one of the best in the league.

Like I said, before people misconstrue my words, I'm not trying to make this into a race issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #62
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Its ok to be tougher on him he has set the bar at a level that most in the NFL will make it to, ProBowl.

(Not directed at you xtruroyaltyx - speaking in general)

Its just so hypocritical of people around here. Not saying this is race related but the white guy has everyone's support and the black guy gets called names? There nothing we could have done to prevent Bennie's injuries nor Jerome's hamstring issues. Stop with the name calling.

Not like the guy wakes up in the morning and says "Hmmm, I think I'll tweak my hamstring and not practice." After all who really needs an NFL minimum salary?
Now, I wasn't on this board back in the Joppru days and I don't think I've every said anything about Mathis. I think the thing with Mathis... IF there is a thing... is his percieved attitude. Or at least, what his attitude used to be.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #63
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its just so hypocritical of people around here. Not saying this is race related but the white guy has everyone's support and the black guy gets called names? There nothing we could have done to prevent Bennie's injuries nor Jerome's hamstring issues. Stop with the name calling.

I had a feeling that you were reaching for that race card...

I have been calling him Mr. Glass since his first season and will continue to do so if he can't stay healthy. If he was purple I would call him the same thing... even though he wouldn't look as much like the real Mr. Glass (Samuel L.) in Unbreakable.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #64
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Now, I wasn't on this board back in the Joppru days and I don't think I've every said anything about Mathis. I think the thing with Mathis... IF there is a thing... is his percieved attitude. Or at least, what his attitude used to be.
I think that is the main difference between MB members' opinions on Joppru vs. Mathis. Joppru from all accounts was a model citizen and a hard worker that just happened to tear his knee and groin up, whereas Mathis in the problem has been known to have questionable work ethic, somewhat of an attitude problem, and an off-field issue or two. People tend to not feel sorry for those types of guys.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #65
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

He has had six months to get better. In another 6 months he'll have missed another season. However, in 10 minutes of play he will have returned the opening kick-off - if we receive the opening kick. That's not much productiom from a roster spot. With Mathis it is more about fond memories than likelihood of future contributions, IMO.

It is the same injury that never gets better. Sounds chronic to me.

Roster spots should be valuable on this team; I hate to see them wasted. Yes he has a lot of potential, but the team has been patient a long time.
Old 06-04-2007   #66
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
I had a feeling that you were reaching for that race card...

I have been calling him Mr. Glass since his first season and will continue to do so if he can't stay healthy. If he was purple I would call him the same thing... even though he wouldn't look as much like the real Mr. Glass (Samuel L.) in Unbreakable.
Tell us what's really eating away at you. I said it was not a race issue. I don't know, nor care, what race you are or claim to be - just like you don't care about mine.

We get rid of the 4th round pick who has produced atleast something in his 2 years while we carried the 2nd round pick who did zip zero? Even our current regime carried Bennie for awhile. Give Mathis his time is all I'm saying. How good of a player would we really be losing by keeping him on? Honestly....

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 06-04-2007   #67
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We get rid of the 4th round pick who has produced atleast something in his 2 years while we carried the 2nd round pick who did zip zero? Even our current regime carried Bennie for awhile. Give Mathis his time is all I'm saying.
I'd prefer the team stop doing the same things over and over if they want different results.

Quote:
How good of a player would we really be losing by keeping him on? Honestly....
How important is the roster spot? It might be the difference between 9 and 10 o-lineman on the team. Is that important?

Exercise: Take into account they need to back up all positions and Flanagan and Salaam may not make it through the season. Cut two: Winston, Spencer, Salaam, Black, Pitts, Weary, Flanagan, McKinney, Hodgdon, Studdard, Frye. This list doesn't include all the roster players on the o-line.
Old 06-04-2007   #68
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
How important is the roster spot? It might be the difference between 9 and 10 o-lineman on the team. Is that important?

Exercise: Take into account they need to back up all positions and Flanagan and Salaam may not make it through the season. Cut two: Winston, Spencer, Salaam, Black, Pitts, Weary, Flanagan, McKinney, Hodgdon, Studdard, Frye. This list doesn't include all the roster players on the o-line.
You make it seem like Mathis is taking on OL spot. He's taking on roster spot. There are tons of people all up and down the roster that will get cut. Come final cuts then we can talk. There's what 70-80 people on roster right now?

Quote:
Old 06-04-2007   #69
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
You make it seem like Mathis is taking on OL spot. He's taking on roster spot. There are tons of people all up and down the roster that will get cut. Come final cuts then we can talk. There's what 70-80 people on roster right now?
The point is, every roster spot is important. There is a cost at some position if the Texans keep a guy on the roster who plays 5 kick-offs for the year. Given that he can't make 10 minutes of practice after having months off to heal, I'm not assuming he'll play in even half the games next year.

I chose o-line because last year they carried 9; many teams carry 10 as did the Texans until last year. When Spencer went down immediatly that hurt. It made Salaam the starter even when he was badly knicked up.

We could make a list of d-lineman, receivers, and running backs just as easily. At some position they would end up cutting a player capable of playing to keep Mathis. I don't think he's worth it at the rate of games he plays each year. Nothing against Mathis - I was all for keeping him last year when many argued against him post-motorcycle incident.

You are right - come final cuts we can talk. If Mathis is still not playing because his hammies are "tweaked" for another three months, I doubt he'll be on the final roster.
Old 06-04-2007   #70
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Judging from the latest ( http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3377 ), Kubiak is kinda getting tired of him not being on the field. He doesn't like the fact that there's always a reason for Mathis not to be playing.

“I’m extremely concerned,” Kubiak said. “Jerome has been through a lot the last week or so, and we’re going to support him in his life and his family.

“But, I’m very concerned about his body and helping this football team right now. We have got to somehow get him to the point where he is on the football field like every other player. That is just honesty. I am telling him the same thing I am telling you. We have to figure out why there is always something and we’ve got to figure out a way to get the kid on the field full time.”
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #71
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is taking up a roster spot PERIOD. Whatever it may be. I agree with Runner that it is more about fond memories with him rather than the possibility of future production.

Another difference between Joppru and Mathis that hasn't been mentioned is that most Texans fans hadn't seen what Joppru could do. He was a 2nd round pick so most thought he could be a real good player if he could get on the field. Combine that with the fact that he had the reputation of a hard worker and people thought that he was just more unlucky, not so much injury prone as it seems Mathis is.

Joppru is off the team now and I am sure his injury problems were part of the reason for that.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #72
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its funny how when Bennie Joppru was always hurt and NEVER played this whole board wished him luck getting on the field and no one ever questioned his injuries.
Actually, I recall a couple of people making posts calling out Joppru, so it wasn't 100% positive among fans. (I'm too lazy to research it, but I'm sure they're here in the archives.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
People are always harder on the ones they expect the most out of...
You don't say... no further comment!
Old 06-04-2007   #73
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
When we had JJ Moses, he was a reliable, totally unspectacular kick returner. I liked JJ a lot, but most folks wanted a game breaker there. Well, along came Mathis, and that's what we got. Cutting him now, on the cheap, seems sort of counterproductive. Then again, if I were Kubiak, I might be forced to do just that. Oh well .......
ST coach Joe Marciano wanted a faster returner than JJ. I saw him do a special teams presentation where he showed JJ returning kicks and getting caught from behind. He said that he liked JJ but he needed more breakaway speed. He was the one who lobbied for Mathis for the pick.

Like anyone injured on the team, I hope they figure out the best way to keep him healthy because a healthy Mathis is a asset to the team.
Old 06-04-2007   #74
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
a healthy Mathis is a asset to the team.
For the record, I'm 100% in agreement with this.
Old 06-04-2007   #75
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For the record, I'm 100% in agreement with this.
I'd assume 95% of fans would too.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #76
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
T
You are right - come final cuts we can talk. If Mathis is still not playing because his hammies are "tweaked" for another three months, I doubt he'll be on the final roster.
I totally agree with that. Its way to early to cut a guy who has small contract and tons of upside. No improvement + not playing + no practice = Unemployed.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2007   #77
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He is taking up a roster spot PERIOD. Whatever it may be. I agree with Runner that it is more about fond memories with him rather than the possibility of future production.

Another difference between Joppru and Mathis that hasn't been mentioned is that most Texans fans hadn't seen what Joppru could do. He was a 2nd round pick so most thought he could be a real good player if he could get on the field. Combine that with the fact that he had the reputation of a hard worker and people thought that he was just more unlucky, not so much injury prone as it seems Mathis is.

Joppru is off the team now and I am sure his injury problems were part of the reason for that.
He is not taking up a roster spot. There have been ZERO roster moves made. This is not the final roster. Come that time then we can talk. Until then he's just taking up the trainers time.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2007   #78
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

Happy Birthday
Old 06-04-2007   #79
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
He is not taking up a roster spot. There have been ZERO roster moves made. This is not the final roster. Come that time then we can talk. Until then he's just taking up the trainers time.
I wasn't advocating cutting him now. That wouldn't be too bright. I was discussing the hypothetical situation of what to do if he is still recovering when final cuts are due. There is no way I'd keep him on the roster IF he hasn't "survived" significant training camp time and even ***this might be too much to wish for*** pre-season game action.

Tough cuts have to be made - I like watching him return kicks as much as other fans and even his teammates do, and I'd ratehr have him on the team. He doesn't get a free pass though.
Old 06-04-2007   #80
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
I wasn't advocating cutting him now. That wouldn't be too bright. I was discussing the hypothetical situation of what to do if he is still recovering when final cuts are due. There is no way I'd keep him on the roster IF he hasn't "survived" significant training camp time and even ***this might be too much to wish for*** pre-season game action.

Tough cuts have to be made - I like watching him return kicks as much as other fans and even his teammates do, and I'd ratehr have him on the team. He doesn't get a free pass though.
I see him going on the PUP list if he is still hurt when the season starts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read