Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2007   #41
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Mathis Hamstring Watch

I think i'll just agree on the matter of wondering about the training staff. Was it just bad luck last year or was it the matter of how our athletes are trained and conditioned?

Far as Mathis is concerned. His contract isn't bad and he could come in at least as 4th or 5th receiver roster spot, keep someone on PS that could at least make one of those spots. In all honesty, though i know Kubiak would prefer a WR/ KR guy, i'm ok with having a spectacular KR guy taking up a slot on the roster.

As far as June 1st cuts. I'd hate to see Mathis cut then get healthy and land on a team we're going to face this year. If i was a gambling man i'd say he makes it past the first and second rounds of cuts.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #42
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's fine. I hope he get's it together just as much as everyone else does. It'd be great if he could stay healthy enough to play.

But, at this point, I'm very pessimistic about it. Kubiak is wasting no opportunity to prepare us for what is coming. It will be an unpopular decision, but, at least, if that decision is made, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Originally, I was very much so against cutting Mathis...

But at this point if Kubiak were to make that decision I'd understand...Wouldn't like it all that much, but I'd understand...
Old 05-25-2007   #43
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Translation: OK Jerome! So you have a chronic condition with your hammies. We all get that. Take it upon yourself to get the proper treatment, so that it doesn't prevent you from staying on the field. If you can't stay healthy during the OTAs, then how are going to stay healthy for training camp?

Sorry, I still think it's a question of commitment . . or a lack thereof.
How do you know that he is not getting proper treatment for it? Especially when scientific folks can't agree on what prevents repeated hamstring problems for those who have risk factors for that.

At a minimum, he is meeting the off season conditioning goals the Texans are setting for him. Check out the graphic:

Texans FanHouse: Behind the Scenes at Reliant Stadium
Old 05-25-2007   #44
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
At a minimum, he is meeting the off season conditioning goals the Texans are setting for him. Check out the graphic:
Steph, you need to tell me what exactly I should be focusing on with that link. I see Mathis' name on a list. So what?

My point is that if Mathis has a serious chronic condition with his hammies, you would think that he would recognize that it would take more than the 'minimum' effort needed to get himself ready to play. But from listening to Kubiak, it's apparent he's not doing that.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #45
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

All I've heard Kubiak say is Mathis has had some physical issues, he didnt expound upon them. this board does enough expounding on it's own I think lol.
Old 05-25-2007   #46
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
How do you know that he is not getting proper treatment for it? Especially when scientific folks can't agree on what prevents repeated hamstring problems for those who have risk factors for that.

Texans FanHouse: Behind the Scenes at Reliant Stadium
As I posted earlier, Hamstring injuries occur because a force is imposed on them that is too much too handle thus causing a tear in the muscle fiber. The body heals muscle injuries by laying down scar tissue or an adhesion to repair the area, the problem is that this is dense, tough, inflexible tissue. These adhesions inhibit the muscle from functioning optimally thus putting the muscle at risk for re-injury. If the adhesions are properly worked out the muscle can return to 100% function, but these can be a long, arduous and painful process. Honestly, some people can't handle the pain caused by deep tissue muscle work aimed at breaking up scar tissue.

Another issue with hamstring injuries deals with the nervous systems ability to turn a muscle on and off, but this may be out of the scope of a message board.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #47
real

Ok....Jerome Mathis is getting cut....Well Jerome you had a nice run...

Or should I say a couple nice runs....

I just heard on 790 that JM hurt his hamstring again 10 mins. into today's practice....

Kubiak commented on it, and IMHO JM will not be a texan this coming season if we can find someone just half way decent to return kicks...
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2007   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Ok....Jerome Mathis is getting cut....Well Jerome you had a nice run...

Or should I say a couple nice runs....

I just heard on 790 that JM hurt his hamstring again 10 mins. into today's practice....

Kubiak commented on it, and IMHO JM will not be a texan this coming season if we can find someone just half way decent to return kicks...
Wow.

Just wow.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #49
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

For the first few years of his career, Donte Stallworth had severe hamstring issues, and Saints fans were constantly frustrated with him. He finally had a fully healthy year, logged 70 catches, and then went to the Eagles, where he burned us last year. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mathis work himself out of the hamstring injuries, but it takes time. As for his alleged attitude problems, I don't know what's going on there (if anything). As I said before though, there's something to be said for having the best <insert position here> on your team. Mathis was the best KR in the NFL two years ago, and reminded us why, if only for one game, last year. If the Texans are cutting Mathis because of injury, I will say right now it's a dumb move. He isn't really paid a lot. If it's his attitude or motivation, then I can understand it. It wouldn't surpride me to see Mathis come back to haunt us at some later date, either way.
Old 06-04-2007   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
For the first few years of his career, Donte Stallworth had severe hamstring issues, and Saints fans were constantly frustrated with him. He finally had a fully healthy year, logged 70 catches, and then went to the Eagles, where he burned us last year. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mathis work himself out of the hamstring injuries, but it takes time. As for his alleged attitude problems, I don't know what's going on there (if anything). As I said before though, there's something to be said for having the best <insert position here> on your team. Mathis was the best KR in the NFL two years ago, and reminded us why, if only for one game, last year. If the Texans are cutting Mathis because of injury, I will say right now it's a dumb move. He isn't really paid a lot. If it's his attitude or motivation, then I can understand it. It wouldn't surpride me to see Mathis come back to haunt us at some later date, either way.
Using the Donte Stallworth example, though, he killed us in that first game. But didn't he hurt his hamstrings in the 2nd or 3rd game and then spend most of the season injured with just a few appearances? Sure, he looked good in a few games but most of the season he was missing.

But I agree with you on Mathis. He's really cheap. I wouldn't cut him at least until it's time to cut the roster down to 53 and there's someone that we need more. But it would have to be a really good argument that we need that other guy more.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #51
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I've been a supporter of Mathis because I know what he can do...

But you can't make the club in the tub...And if you're in the damn tub atleast keep your attitutde in check...

Supposedly his attitude isn't an issue anymore, but if he can't practice what would make a person think that he'd be able to play in a game ???

10 mins into practice ? C'mon...that's pathetic....
Old 06-04-2007   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

wow, I hate to hear one of our potential weapons is already suffering a physical breakdown. The battle of field position being such an important aspect of the game, I hope he can heal it and take care of business quickly.
Old 06-04-2007   #53
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

So he misses all of the practices last week and hurts himself 10 minutes after getting back on the field today. There's no room on this roster for Mr. Glass.

It's just a shame that we couldn't get something for him. Then again.... have the Texans ever gotten anything for a player other than Drew Henson???
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #54
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Its funny how when Bennie Joppru was always hurt and NEVER played this whole board wished him luck getting on the field and no one ever questioned his injuries. But our PROBOWL KR has hamstring issues and he's Mr. Glass? Please atleast the guy got on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #55
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Using the Donte Stallworth example, though, he killed us in that first game. But didn't he hurt his hamstrings in the 2nd or 3rd game and then spend most of the season injured with just a few appearances? Sure, he looked good in a few games but most of the season he was missing.

But I agree with you on Mathis. He's really cheap. I wouldn't cut him at least until it's time to cut the roster down to 53 and there's someone that we need more. But it would have to be a really good argument that we need that other guy more.
He went 38-725-5 last year, and he was down with injuries. Sprinters often battle hamstring problems. It just comes with the territory. NFL team should be well aware of it by now.

Yeah, the whole "can't make the club from the tub" phrase gets tossed around a lot, and it's an unfortunate fact of the NFL. So I get it. I'm just saying that Mathis has that special something that this team doesn't have much of. When we had JJ Moses, he was a reliable, totally unspectacular kick returner. I liked JJ a lot, but most folks wanted a game breaker there. Well, along came Mathis, and that's what we got. Cutting him now, on the cheap, seems sort of counterproductive. Then again, if I were Kubiak, I might be forced to do just that. Oh well .......
Old 06-04-2007   #56
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Its funny how when Bennie Joppru was always hurt and NEVER played this whole board wished him luck getting on the field and no one ever questioned his injuries. But our PROBOWL KR has hamstring issues and he's Mr. Glass? Please atleast the guy got on the field.
People are always harder on the ones they expect the most out of...

That's just life.

I'm not saying Kubiak IS going to cut him, just stating my opinion after hearing Kubiak's comments on JM's 10 min. practice today....

I wish I could quote him exactly, but from the way he sounded it doesn't look to good for Mathis if he doesn't show something soon...

And that really sucks because he just makes us a more complete team..
Old 06-04-2007   #57
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True & I see your point. The difference is (at the time) we'd never had a legitimate TE who could both Catch AND Block. We'd already had JJ, who while not necesarily spectacular, WAS consistent and kept us out of the shadow of our own endzone.
Old 06-04-2007   #58
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
So he misses all of the practices last week and hurts himself 10 minutes after getting back on the field today. There's no room on this roster for Mr. Glass.

It's just a shame that we couldn't get something for him. Then again.... have the Texans ever gotten anything for a player other than Drew Henson???
I heard that Mathis missed last week due to personal/family reasons of some sort and that after he initially tweaked his hammy this year (on the previous Thursday) that they expected him to be ready to go last week, but whatever issue with him came up and he missed the week. I guess he re-injured it today and will miss a little more time, hopefully in the 5-6 weeks before training camp starts up he'll be able to heal fully and will be ready to go, from what I've seen of him it looks and sounds like he's actually been putting in decent work this offseason (he looks like he's actually spent decent time in the weight room this spring and he seemed like he had been working on his WR skills some as well), so it would be a shame if he can't get back on the field and stick with the team this year.

As for other KR/PR, Jacoby Jones, Andre Davis, Jamar Fletcher and a few other guys that could likely be training camp bodies are all pretty capable of returning kicks if Mathis doesn't make the team.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #59
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
People are always harder on the ones they expect the most out of...

That's just life.

I'm not saying Kubiak IS going to cut him, just stating my opinion after hearing Kubiak's comments on JM's 10 min. practice today....

I wish I could quote him exactly, but from the way he sounded it doesn't look to good for Mathis if he doesn't show something soon...

Its ok to be tougher on him he has set the bar at a level that most in the NFL will make it to, ProBowl.

(Not directed at you xtruroyaltyx - speaking in general)

Its just so hypocritical of people around here. Not saying this is race related but the white guy has everyone's support and the black guy gets called names? There nothing we could have done to prevent Bennie's injuries nor Jerome's hamstring issues. Stop with the name calling.

Not like the guy wakes up in the morning and says "Hmmm, I think I'll tweak my hamstring and not practice." After all who really needs an NFL minimum salary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #60
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
After all who really needs an NFL minimum salary?
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
That's all I've really been trying to say.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read