Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2007   #21
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP
Default Re: Jerome Mathis Hamstring Watch

From today's article on HT.com:
“Jacoby (Jones) has been extremely impressive as a returner and as a receiver he’s kind of up and down right now but that’s to be expected,” Kubiak said. “He’s been very impressive as a returner.”

Personally, I'm pulling for Mathis - he provided practically the only good memories from the whole of the 05 season. BTW from that article, Harrison's still at Stanford. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be with the team until mid-June as they're on a weird quarter system.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
From today's article on HT.com:
“Jacoby (Jones) has been extremely impressive as a returner and as a receiver he’s kind of up and down right now but that’s to be expected,” Kubiak said. “He’s been very impressive as a returner.”

Personally, I'm pulling for Mathis - he provided practically the only good memories from the whole of the 05 season. BTW from that article, Harrison's still at Stanford. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be with the team until mid-June as they're on a weird quarter system.
As much as I am rooting for Jacoby Jones, he does not have the freaky breakaway speed that Jerome Mathis has. Also, I'm not sure how many successful tall returners there have been in the league.

I know Kubiak loves hard work guys, and Mathis has been in the doghouse some, but geez, Mathis broke open the Raiders game not even being 100%.

Bad numbers game at the receiver position, but that being said, the plugging in different guys returner experiment last season was UG - LY. Marciano seemed to do better when he had a designated ST guy.

(I'm not saying this to dis Kubiak or anything, I'm talking about this stuff as more of an area for discussion).
Old 05-24-2007   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy stole my thoughts:

Quote:
The shelf life of a return man is not long. We're talking fresh produce, not canned goods. For every Brian Mitchell, who returned kicks and punts for 14 seasons, there are hundreds of others who lasted just a couple years. Teams may be trying to find the next Devin Hester, who as a rookie returned six kicks for touchdowns, including the postseason. But considering the turnover among return men, it's fair to wonder how quickly the Bears will be looking for their next Hester.

Some return men can't hack it. Others don't want to stick with it. Many more fall prey to a variety of factors that push them out of the position. Since 1970, only 12 players have led their conference more than once in yards per punt return. Only three have topped the AFC or NFC in kickoff return average multiple times.
Link

Love when Mathis is on form but you need either steady and average or above--JJ Moses or to continually look for the flash in the pan--Mathis. Hopefully he stays healthy and can flash for another year or two but this isn't one of those invest money and get a decade kind of gigs. Produce now or produce never.
Old 05-24-2007   #24
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
He has approximately three month to heal.
On top of the months he has already had to heal, and the months he had to heal before the two games he played last year. Or was it three?

I was all for patience with Mathis last year, but this looks chronic. In his two years with the team he has missed more games than he has played. If the Texans have enough good players in camp battling for a roster spot, an injured Mathis may find that he is the odd man out.

I'm not basing this on any rumors about his attitude or Kubiak's view of him. I just think if a player has a limited role - like return kick-offs - and he can't even be on the field to do that half the time, ne may not be worth the roster spot. He is cheap one more year; that may be the only thing that saves him this year if his health doesn't do a 100% turn around.
Old 05-24-2007   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This guy stole my thoughts:

Link

Love when Mathis is on form but you need either steady and average or above--JJ Moses or to continually look for the flash in the pan--Mathis. Hopefully he stays healthy and can flash for another year or two but this isn't one of those invest money and get a decade kind of gigs. Produce now or produce never.
Interesting link, found this quote food for thought:

Quote:
Teams aren't just afraid that one of their top players will get pummeled by a coverage maniac; they also are worried about fatigue. Though Hall disputes this, his statistical decline the past few years could have been caused by his increased use as a receiver.

"You can get worn out playing your butt off on offense or defense," Bucs special teams coach Richard Bisaccia says. "To play at such a high speed at your position and then try to make a big play in special teams is tiring. These guys are indispensable, and you don't want to put them out there too much."
What is the better practice? Having a designated return man who is spectacular, or making a guy with a history of hamstring problems do both returns and receiving.

I don't know the answer to that, but I will say that our return game looked better when the Texans had a dedicated guy doing that. Horrible return play last year really put the team in a hole in a couple of games.
Old 05-24-2007   #26
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I've tried very hard to stay out of this thread, on account that any thread that's been created regarding Mathis, I've criticized him. I've criticized his attitude. I've criticized his heart. I've criticized his lack of a commitment to be a team player. I've criticized him for doing, or not doing, just the things that put him in the doghouse of a head coach.

But putting that all aside . . .

I have never, . . EVER . . heard of a player that pulled a hamstring the season before, go all the way through the off-season, and still not be 100% healed in May?????

I'm serious. Does anyone know of anybody else, in NFL history, who couldn't heal pulled hamstrings during the offseason, especially after being IR'd before the end of previous season?

I mean . . . WTF?, over?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #27
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't know the answer to that, but I will say that our return game looked better when the Texans had a dedicated guy doing that. Horrible return play last year really put the team in a hole in a couple of games.
Mathis was that dedicated return guy last year
Old 05-24-2007   #28
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I have never, . . EVER . . heard of a player that pulled a hamstring the season before, go all the way through the off-season, and still not be 100% healed in May?????
I hear you. It doesn't bode well for his playing a complete year.

Two threads I don't want see this year:

Mario Williams Foot Watch

Charles Spencer Leg Watch
Old 05-24-2007   #29
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2. Should the Kubiak comments be taken at face value? Just a question asked about a player and answered? Are his answers just the writing on the wall of an exit, or pushing a player he believes has tremendous potential and believes he need a fire lit under him? (the theory that a coach never yells at a player he figures can't play anyways).
I got two words for Mathis, Jacoby Jones. Jacoby even comes with an extra, he can catch too.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #30
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
I've tried very hard to stay out of this thread, on account that any thread that's been created regarding Mathis, I've criticized him. I've criticized his attitude. I've criticized his heart. I've criticized his lack of a commitment to be a team player. I've criticized him for doing, or not doing, just the things that put him in the doghouse of a head coach.

But putting that all aside . . .

I'm serious. Does anyone know of anybody else, in NFL history, who couldn't heal pulled hamstrings during the offseason, especially after being IR'd before the end of previous season?

I mean . . . WTF?, over?
hmmmm....maybe not a hamstring, but Joppru had to deal with a groin injury for a few years
Old 05-24-2007   #31
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 834 Wolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not the guy you were talking to about this but let me through my $0.02 in.

There's always the structural element. Human beings are extremely variable in the way they're constructed. Muscle insertions/attachments are in different locations, people have more or less muscle insertions/attachments than other people, the attachments are stronger or weaker, etc. An example is the biceps brachii muscle. It's called the biceps because it's got two heads but it's not totally uncommon to see people with more heads than that (I've heard of up to 5). Structural differences like that can make certain athletes more prone to certain injuries and less prone to others.

As a personal note on this, I've got a very narrow tunnel in my AC joint which leads to chronic rotator cuff tears and the buildup of adhesions in my RC muscles. The only reason I can lift my arm over my head (and there have been many times I haven't been able to do that) is because of deep tissue massage/active release therapy. But it doesn't really prevent the same problem from occurring; if I go out and do some explosive movement with my arm, there will always be a chance of a tear. But by getting the deep tissue massage, it reduces the buildup of the adhesions, allowing my RC to move through the joint more cleanly, and that reduces the chance of a new tear.

But that's with the RC. The Hammies are a different animal. I'm sure there's the possibility of similar issues with the hamstrings but, since I've always had strong and healthy hammies, I haven't had to do the same sort of research for hamstrings that I have for the shoulder.
Ok, I have to put my .02 in on this one. I'm a massage therapist out here in the lovely Pacific Northwest and I also suffer from overly tight hamstrings. What a lot of people don't realize is how your body reacts to an injury.

Remember, we are symetrical beings. Two arms, two legs... that kind of thing. When and injury is suffered to the right hamstrings, the body will naturally move away from the injured area. This adds stress to the left side of the body. Not only that, but the muscles above, below and on the opposite side of the injury site are affected. Because of my overly tight hamstrings, I also suffer from low back spasms, knee pain, tight quad muscles, tight psoas muscles and cramping calf muscles if I don't take care of myself properly.

I warm up and stretch in the morning almost as soon as I get out of bed. I also work on increasing my flexibility by attending yoga classes three times a week. Not to mention the regular massages I get from the students that I teach massage. All of these things combined have helped me control the issue, but it will never truly go away.
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl View Post
Ok, I have to put my .02 in on this one. I'm a massage therapist out here in the lovely Pacific Northwest and I also suffer from overly tight hamstrings. What a lot of people don't realize is how your body reacts to an injury.

<snip>

I warm up and stretch in the morning almost as soon as I get out of bed. I also work on increasing my flexibility by attending yoga classes three times a week. Not to mention the regular massages I get from the students that I teach massage. All of these things combined have helped me control the issue, but it will never truly go away.
As a powerlifter, I just have to say... deep squats and deadlifts, baybee!!!

Seriously, nice, deep olympic training kinds of squats are incredible for the knees, the lower back, and the hammies.

For my psoas which I had issues with for awhile, I used to do this:
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFle...HipFlexor.html

Judging from your name, I'm going to assume that you're a fem and you might have an interest in lifting. If so, if you haven't seen Mistress Krista's site, you should really check it out. It's a great training site that has a lot of great info and is slanted to the feminine trainer:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

In particular...
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=52
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Judging from your name, I'm going to assume that you're a fem and you might have an interest in lifting. If so, if you haven't seen Mistress Krista's site, you should really check it out. It's a great training site that has a lot of great info and is slanted to the feminine trainer:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

In particular...
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=52
Ya know what is funny? someone going by the name pencil neck who stuff by someone called Mistress Krista.

Old 05-25-2007   #34
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you have any scientific information about therapists fixing hamstring issues??? I've researched this, and the best scientific information says that there isn't anything out there to prevent repeated hamstring problems. Stretching, massage, etc.
First off, who would fund the research? There isn't a big massage therapist conglomerate that can spend billions on research like the drug companies. That is not meant to sound snotty, just an explanation as to why there is no research. I can give you some personal evidence, when I was a freshman in high school I pulled a portion of my hamstring tendon off the bone - diagnosed by x-ray a few years later. At the time my high school trainer diagnosed me with a pulled hammie. Three problem filled years later a buddy of mine suggested I go to see a chiro he knew. Long story short after about 6 weeks of the most painful massage treatments I had ever had my hammie was restored to 100% function and 16 years later I have not had one problem with it. One of the issues with massage is that there is a ton of variability between styles and therapist. Some are great, some suck. The trick is to find someone that knows what they are doing.

There is also a guy in Htown named Dr Tran that does lidocaine/B12 trigger point injections. These can work tremendously well as well. Anyone that has ever been to his office will tell you he has 100s of pics or professional athletes that have been to see him, including Evander Holyfield, Roger Clements, and too many NFL players to name. If I were in charge of the Texans rehab protocols I would have Tran's number on speed dial. I have personally found that getting a trigger point injections followed a few day later by some quality deep tissue massage provides the quickest relief to injured muscles. There are a ton of terrific Drs in the Houston area that are awesome soft tissue workers.

Now continuous hamstring injuries can come from a number of different causes such as an accumulation of scar tissue (which caused all of my problems by in HS), faulty bio-mechanics such as a forward pelvic tilt which puts too much stress on the hammies - this is common in many athletes, improper running technique such as over-striding when sprinting causing the foot to plantar flex (bad) vs dorsi flex (good) before foot contact thus over stressing the hamstring, ect... so any one or combination of these could be Mathis's problem.

As a side note I would not be suprised to see more of the Texans have muscle strains as their strength and conditioning coach uses a style of training that could potentially lead to injuries, but that is a conversation for another day.

BTW, for more info take a look at activereleasetechnique.com
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #35
real

Quote:
Interesting link, found this quote food for thought:

What is the better practice? Having a designated return man who is spectacular, or making a guy with a history of hamstring problems do both returns and receiving.

I think the answer is fairly simple....

If Mathis can stay healthy you only use him sparingly as a reciever. Let the man focus on making game changing returns.
Old 05-25-2007   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Ya know what is funny? someone going by the name pencil neck who stuff by someone called Mistress Krista.

We were both regulars in some weightlifting newsgroups/forums a few years ago. There are long stories behind both of our names.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

When I was at SFA, a fellow teamate talked me into attending a Taekwondo class mt Soph. year. Although I can't prove it, but I think it did wonders for me. Even after going through a season of football practice, I could hardly walk after the first class from being so sore. All they had me do first the first couple months was stretch. After a while it was great. I took it again the next year as well.
Old 05-25-2007   #38
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I think the answer is fairly simple....

If Mathis can stay healthy you only use him sparingly as a reciever. Let the man focus on making game changing returns.
"If Mathis could stay healthy", I wouldn't have a problem at all if Kubiak decided to use him for kickoff returns only. But, as a head coach, you need some confidence that he can play at least the majority of the games before you can commit to a 'one task' player.

Quote:
"He has to get in the training room and get healthy," Kubiak said. "He's got a heck of a battle on his hands to be a part of this football team and the only way he's going to be able to do that is to be healthy."
Translation: OK Jerome! So you have a chronic condition with your hammies. We all get that. Take it upon yourself to get the proper treatment, so that it doesn't prevent you from staying on the field. If you can't stay healthy during the OTAs, then how are going to stay healthy for training camp?

Sorry, I still think it's a question of commitment . . or a lack thereof.
Old 05-25-2007   #39
real

Quote:
"If Mathis could stay healthy", I wouldn't have a problem at all if Kubiak decided to use him for kickoff returns only. But, as a head coach, you need some confidence that he can play at least the majority of the games before you can commit to a 'one task' player.

Translation: OK Jerome! So you have a chronic condition with your hammies. We all get that. Take it upon yourself to get the proper treatment, so that it doesn't prevent you from staying on the field. If you can't stay healthy during the OTAs, then how are going to stay healthy for training camp?
That's pretty much why I said "if"...

I don't think you're doing anything other than stating the obvious...

If Mathis can't stay on the practice field why would you go into the season expecting him to be your main return guy? I think it's fairly obvious that Mathis would not be counted on if that were the case..

My point was that if he can stay healthy through minicamp then you should go into the season using him almost exclusively for KR's in order to reduce the risk of injury and get the most out of him.....That was what I was getting at...
Old 05-25-2007   #40
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
My point was that if he can stay healthy through minicamp then you should go into the season using him almost exclusively for KR's in order to reduce the risk of injury and get the most out of him.....That was what I was getting at...
That's fine. I hope he get's it together just as much as everyone else does. It'd be great if he could stay healthy enough to play.

But, at this point, I'm very pessimistic about it. Kubiak is wasting no opportunity to prepare us for what is coming. It will be an unpopular decision, but, at least, if that decision is made, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read