Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-23-2007   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerome Mathis Hamstring Watch

Nobody knows what prevents hamstring pulls. Anybody who says they know for sure, can't prove it scientifically cuz there is no definitive answer.

That being said, being fast and having a history of hamstring problems are risk factors for future ones.

So with that, I give you this:

HT.com news story re: injured Texans veterans

Quote:
Mathis on the mend: Its been nice to see Jerome Mathis out at OTAs the past few days. Mathis was hampered with a foot injury for most of the 2006 season and played in just a handful of games.

His foot is healed but Mathis says he still has some obstacles to conquer before hes back to 100 percent.

It will be a matter of time before I get back to full strength, Mathis said. My foot is fine. Im just working on a couple of hamstrings now, Ill say Im 90, 95 percent.

Though an OTA in May is not necessarily crucial to team success, Gary Kubiak thinks that the next few weeks are pretty important to Mathis.

Its critical because were at a point at his career where he had a great rookie season, but last year he dressed for two games for us I think and he struggled physically, Kubiak said.

He has been out here everyday, hes practiced everyday, he had some issues with tightness today, but our football team is very competitive right now and the good thing is that our football team is going to be tough to make and I think Jerome sees that going on and its important that hes out here.
Here's some food for thought and discussion:

1. The Texans were one of the teams that had the most players on IR last season. Do the Texans risk making injuries worse by working players through injuries at non-critical times of the year? For example, Mario injures toe, ends up with a foot problem. Was he being pushed too much. Running hard on a hamstring that isn't right isn't likely to make it better.

As an aside, I would like the real media to ask the Texans what they've done in response to the IR issues of last year. They said they were going to examine their practices to make sure that this wasn't just bad luck, and I am wondering what they have done.

2. Should the Kubiak comments be taken at face value? Just a question asked about a player and answered? Are his answers just the writing on the wall of an exit, or pushing a player he believes has tremendous potential and believes he need a fire lit under him? (the theory that a coach never yells at a player he figures can't play anyways).
Old 05-24-2007   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: Jerome Mathis Hamstring Watch

They way Kubiak talks about Jerome makes me feel that he's not going to be on this team. I just get a strange vibe about it.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #3
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think that holds true across the boards. Anyone that doent give 110% is replaceable with Kubiak. He has talked repeatedly about how his goal is to have so much depth that making the team is difficult, and he seems to have followed thru on that. He added Okoye to give the questionable ethic TJ a wake-up. He added vetran depth at linebacker and running back, and also WR, all, I believe, to get the most out of who we have available. I really hope Mathis can make it. If he's healthy with his head in the game, he is one of the best KR in the league. I wish him luck.
Old 05-24-2007   #4
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Hamstring problems essentially are due to one of two things: 1. a lack of strength in their role as hip extensors 2. Improper tension control from the nervous system, ie the muslce has too much tension at a time when there isn't supposed to be any present. Imagine tensing a muscle then having someone forcfully try to strech it.

Once the hamstring is injured there is a build up of adhesions or scar tissue, this must be massaged out by a skilled therapist or it will continue to cause problems in the future. This is why once an athlete has a hammie issue they tend to linger. Mathis can easily be fixed if they get him to the right people.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

On every team I have been around whether in sports, or in business for that matter, you will have folks who are injured and those who use a past injury as a crutch. Most often bad habits, such as milking an injury, are formed due to a lack of leadership in the locker room and a staff does not hold folks accountable.

Mathis got off last year, but this is his year to show he is professional not a talent as we have a staff that holds players accountable and we will have leadership in the locker room.

Carr in my opinion made it easy for many to slough off as he was the face of the franchise that was untouchable and did not have the passion or acumen to be a NFL leader. I can only imgaine the stinch of apathy that permeated the locker room, the film room, the sideline and the field.
Old 05-24-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Hamstring problems essentially are due to one of two things: 1. a lack of strength in their role as hip extensors 2. Improper tension control from the nervous system, ie the muslce has too much tension at a time when there isn't supposed to be any present. Imagine tensing a muscle then having someone forcfully try to strech it.

Once the hamstring is injured there is a build up of adhesions or scar tissue, this must be massaged out by a skilled therapist or it will continue to cause problems in the future. This is why once an athlete has a hammie issue they tend to linger. Mathis can easily be fixed if they get him to the right people.
Do you have any scientific information about therapists fixing hamstring issues??? I've researched this, and the best scientific information says that there isn't anything out there to prevent repeated hamstring problems. Stretching, massage, etc.
Old 05-24-2007   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
On every team I have been around whether in sports, or in business for that matter, you will have folks who are injured and those who use a past injury as a crutch. Most often bad habits, such as milking an injury, are formed due to a lack of leadership in the locker room and a staff does not hold folks accountable.

Mathis got off last year, but this is his year to show he is professional not a talent as we have a staff that holds players accountable and we will have leadership in the locker room.

Carr in my opinion made it easy for many to slough off as he was the face of the franchise that was untouchable and did not have the passion or acumen to be a NFL leader. I can only imgaine the stinch of apathy that permeated the locker room, the film room, the sideline and the field.

You are blaming Mathis' lingering hamstring problem on Carr???? I do think that there may be players who baby injuries, but as someone that tried to play football through a messed up hammy, it doesn't work well. It can make it worse. I got away with gimping my way through a season, but you can't do that on the NFL level as a guy who relies on speed.

My left hamstring still gives me problems when I do too much.
Old 05-24-2007   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
They way Kubiak talks about Jerome makes me feel that he's not going to be on this team. I just get a strange vibe about it.
I agree with you. He's definetly in the bubble. He's a hammy strain away from making it an easy decision for Kubiak.
Old 05-24-2007   #9
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think what he means is thumb sucking was made easy by Carr and his half arse ways...
Old 05-24-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Do you have any scientific information about therapists fixing hamstring issues??? I've researched this, and the best scientific information says that there isn't anything out there to prevent repeated hamstring problems. Stretching, massage, etc.
I'm not the guy you were talking to about this but let me through my $0.02 in.

There's always the structural element. Human beings are extremely variable in the way they're constructed. Muscle insertions/attachments are in different locations, people have more or less muscle insertions/attachments than other people, the attachments are stronger or weaker, etc. An example is the biceps brachii muscle. It's called the biceps because it's got two heads but it's not totally uncommon to see people with more heads than that (I've heard of up to 5). Structural differences like that can make certain athletes more prone to certain injuries and less prone to others.

As a personal note on this, I've got a very narrow tunnel in my AC joint which leads to chronic rotator cuff tears and the buildup of adhesions in my RC muscles. The only reason I can lift my arm over my head (and there have been many times I haven't been able to do that) is because of deep tissue massage/active release therapy. But it doesn't really prevent the same problem from occurring; if I go out and do some explosive movement with my arm, there will always be a chance of a tear. But by getting the deep tissue massage, it reduces the buildup of the adhesions, allowing my RC to move through the joint more cleanly, and that reduces the chance of a new tear.

But that's with the RC. The Hammies are a different animal. I'm sure there's the possibility of similar issues with the hamstrings but, since I've always had strong and healthy hammies, I haven't had to do the same sort of research for hamstrings that I have for the shoulder.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are blaming Mathis' lingering hamstring problem on Carr???? I do think that there may be players who baby injuries, but as someone that tried to play football through a messed up hammy, it doesn't work well. It can make it worse. I got away with gimping my way through a season, but you can't do that on the NFL level as a guy who relies on speed.

My left hamstring still gives me problems when I do too much.
You always have impact people in any organization that effect the behavior, results and morale - some of them are negative impact people and some are positive impact people. When your leadership allows employees special concessions that bring no value to their cohorts you will inevitably have low morale which translates to low activity and productivity. Carr is gone and now they have no one in the locker room to point to in order deflect their own inabilites or lack of proper development.

Carr on the field was awful. Carr out of the locker room is a god send in my opinion. Mathis and his injury stand on their own with supplemental sources to ponder such as Kubiak's musings on Mathis, our acquisitions, our Strength and Conditioning Coach and our Doctor's.

As far as your hamstring goes I am sure it is painful but I doubt that it is necessary to do your job nor have you been a track star as Mathis has, so I am not quite clear on the analogy. If he is a speed merchant with not many other skills and does not take care of his assets, then he needs to be walked or get some leadership in that locker room to reset his aspirations on this team. I tend to think he has been reset and his value to the team will be held accountable based on his rest, training and development as a WR.

I do not blame Carr for his lingering injury, but definitely see Carr being gone good for the staff and team in developing young players.
Old 05-24-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
As far as your hamstring goes I am sure it is painful but I doubt that it is necessary to do your job nor have you been a track star as Mathis has, so I am not quite clear on the analogy. If he is a speed merchant with not many other skills and does not take care of his assets, then he needs to be walked or get some leadership in that locker room to reset his aspirations on this team. I tend to think he has been reset and his value to the team will be held accountable based on his rest, training and development as a WR.
Wasn't making an analogy. I'm certainly not a track star, but that actually puts me at lower risk of recurrent hamstring injuries. I'm just saying if you have a messed up hamstring, there is no sort of gut it out way to make it magically heal. Trying to run full speed with a messed up hamstring doesn't work--I've tried it with really poor results. BTW, if you look at the chart of offseason workouts in the weight room, Mathis has met all of his goals for each week.

You imply that he isn't taking care of his assets, but there's not much he can do to fix it. Running full speed at an OTA isn't going to improve his hamstring issues.
Old 05-24-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasn't making an analogy. I'm certainly not a track star, but that actually puts me at lower risk of recurrent hamstring injuries. I'm just saying if you have a messed up hamstring, there is no sort of gut it out way to make it magically heal. Trying to run full speed with a messed up hamstring doesn't work--I've tried it with really poor results. BTW, if you look at the chart of offseason workouts in the weight room, Mathis has met all of his goals for each week.

You imply that he isn't taking care of his assets, but there's not much he can do to fix it. Running full speed at an OTA isn't going to improve his hamstring issues.
He has approximately three month to heal.As a returner only, he will have fewer plays and even more time to heal. I think he can make the team, I hope he can contribute as a receiver but probably not to later in the year. His speed is enticing.
Old 05-24-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:

My issue is not with Mathis this year, it is with Mathis and team last year. Not sure how much more clear I can be.
Old 05-24-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. The Texans were one of the teams that had the most players on IR last season.
That seems to be the case every year. When will Dan Riley become accountable for that?
Old 05-24-2007   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That seems to be the case every year. When will Dan Riley become accountable for that?
Hard to say what the root causes of the IR are.

Is it the weight room. Is it the rehab staff? Is it the way the players work in OTAs and camps? Is it the lack of depth of our team?

In Mathis Hamstring Watch news, he has missed yesterday and today with tight hamstrings.

Quote:
Mathis was forced to the sidelines to watch as his hamstrings tightened up Wednesday and Thursday. Gary Kubiak said he is hopeful that four days of treatment over Memorial Day weekend will be enough to get Mathis back on the field when the team resumes practices Tuesday.

"He has to get in the training room and get healthy," Kubiak said. "He's got a heck of a battle on his hands to be a part of this football team and the only way he's going to be able to do that is to be healthy."

Mathis' hamstring problems date back to 2005 when he missed four games as a rookie. He was still able to contribute on special teams, where he averaged an impressive 28.6 yards per kick return and ran two back for touchdowns. Mathis went on to earn All Pro and Pro Bowl honors as a returner .

Last season, Mathis missed the first 11 games of the season because of foot surgery. After just a two-game stint back, Mathis started having nagging injuries again. Prior to the final two games, he was placed on the injured reserve because of sore hamstrings.
Old 05-24-2007   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hard to say what the root causes of the IR are.

Is it the weight room. Is it the rehab staff? Is it the way the players work in OTAs and camps? Is it the lack of depth of our team?

In Mathis Hamstring Watch news, he has missed yesterday and today with tight hamstrings.

Tick Tock .... Tick Tock

Looks like Mathis maybe heading for the unemployment line.
Old 05-24-2007   #18
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I have to presume from Kubiaks comments that he feels Mathis is nursing this injury to forgo practicing. Maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions, but the negative vibes from Kubiak towards Mathis seem to continue to pile up. In my own personal experience, if I feel a person working for me isn't giving 100%, it doesn't take many times before that individual is looking for a new place of employment
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't June 1st next Friday?
Anybody else see what I'm getting at?
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #20
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

June 1 cuts? Isn't that usually for guys with big cap numbers? Mathis' cap figure is pretty small. I don't know. I'm just asking.

I don't know, FirstTexansFan. My feeling is that he's just frustrated because he knows what kind of talent Mathis has and wanted to see what he could do in the passing game. If he didn't have that talent, I think he would have been gone a long time ago. Hamstrings happen and unfortunately are usually exacerbated by playing through them. I know what you mean, though. In my work, you have to show up even if you're sick, because it's nigh on impossible to find someone to cover for you.

The only thing I've heard Kubiak say regarding all of the players ending up on IR last season was something along the line of people not concentrating in pre-season leading to two of the injuries. So maybe they did look it at, but couldn't really come up with anything.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read