Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2007   #1
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub NFL network

Their talking about Schaub .
Old 05-22-2007   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: Shaub NFL network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Their talking about Schaub .
Post transcript as best as you can.

June 19th can't get here fast enough.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

They showed this earlier in the evening too.

Basically the takeaways were 1) Carr can't run the bootleg out of the zone stretch, 2) Carr can't read defenses and here's an example (a direct quote of Baldinger as he shows film of Carr not able to see two guys open before going fetal), 3) Schaub can read defenses and 4) Schaub is able to make quick reads.

Some of the most brutal analysis I've seen of Carr yet. A must see for Texans o-line haters everywhere.

Note to Caddy and Hulk: This was all per Baldinger not me.

Last edited by aj.; 05-22-2007 at 10:09 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

Basically the takeaways were 1) Carr can't run the bootleg out of the zone stretch, 2) Carr can't read defenses and here's an example (a direct quote of Baldinger as he shows film of Carr not able to see two guys open then going fetal), 3) Schaub can read defenses and 4) Schaub is able to make quick reads.

Some of the most brutal analysis I've seen of Carr yet. A must see for Texans o-line haters everywhere.

I'm assuming this was from the Titans game?

LOL at the caddy/hulk reference.
Old 05-22-2007   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

They repeat their shows a lot so it would be well worth seeing it ... I think it was total NFL access .

Brian Baldinger said Schaub can read defenses ... they showed some footage . He sees the middle of the field completes a pass between defenders . They had a play where BB said ... watch Schaub he waits until the defenders turn their heads and takes off running ... he's not a stiff like some had said . They showed a play where Schaub threw deep but I was typing . BB said the Falcons did not change their gameplan for Schaub .

He then said Carr struggled reading defenses . They showed Carr with two guys open in the middle of the field and did'nt see them . He said you have to throw to get the lead and run to keep it and that the Texans need to do better at going deep ... duh .

Rod Woodson and Lombardi ex Raider guy ... said Carr needs time to regroup and get his eye level up ... stop looking for the rush . They said he got in the bad habit of just looking for AJ .

They also said Carr was a turnover waiting to happen .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-22-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I'm assuming this was from the Titans game?

Raiders
Old 05-22-2007   #7
TEXANS84

Quote:
Raiders
Even worse.

Who was running the middle routes? I'm assuming Moulds and Walters? Daniels?
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2007   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Even worse.

Who was running the middle routes? I'm assuming Moulds and Walters? Daniels?
I'll tell you I don't know who it was but they were open and he did'nt throw it .
Old 05-22-2007   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Basically the takeaways were 1) Carr can't run the bootleg out of the zone stretch, 2) Carr can't read defenses and here's an example (a direct quote of Baldinger as he shows film of Carr not able to see two guys open before going fetal), 3) Schaub can read defenses and 4) Schaub is able to make quick reads.

this was one of the few analysis of the Texans and Carr that did not just blindly go the OL sucks and Carr is the innocent victim. Lombardi also addressed the high completion percentage. he stated carr stared down his target and did not make plays down the field. Basically, this segment highlighted what many "Carr-haters" have pointed out in some cases for 3 or more years.

I am not sold the Schaub is the "answer" but I am convinced that the Texans may will be more capable of running an offense that at least looks like the rest of the NFL. I am certain that many fans don't realize how much the Texans dumbed everything down over the last several years. In other words, three steps and throw was not solely because of the OL blocking.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am certain that many fans don't realize how much the Texans dumbed everything down over the last several years. In other words, three steps and throw was not solely because of the OL blocking.
Interesting. Following through, had the Texans had a better QB:

The Texans were set with Wand - Pitts - McKinney - Weigert - Wade and we (coaches and fans) didn't know it.

------They wouldn't have taken Wade's cap hit.

------No Victor Riley!

The offense should have been better at that point and the line could have played 2-3 seasons together and rocked.

Gaffney should have had a lot more catches and been a keeper.

The Texans actually had a good offense, less one player, so Casserly was doing better than he was given credit for.

==========================

If as much was on Carr as is thought now, the Carr experiment certainly damaged a lot of careers and reputations.
Old 05-22-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
this was one of the few analysis of the Texans and Carr that did not just blindly go the OL sucks and Carr is the innocent victim. Lombardi also addressed the high completion percentage. he stated carr stared down his target and did not make plays down the field. Basically, this segment highlighted what many "Carr-haters" have pointed out in some cases for 3 or more years.

I am not sold the Schaub is the "answer" but I am convinced that the Texans may will be more capable of running an offense that at least looks like the rest of the NFL. I am certain that many fans don't realize how much the Texans dumbed everything down over the last several years. In other words, three steps and throw was not solely because of the OL blocking.
hmm, sounds familiar...I wish I thought of this

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #12
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Definitely NOT a "good" example of DC scrambling, that's for sure. I'm not sure I'd point to it as any kind of "glowing example" of a GOOD O-Line either...at least from a Pass-Protection standpoint.

I really hope they're right. I hope Schaub IS the answer, or at least a noticeable improvement.
Old 05-23-2007   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88375 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Interesting. Following through, had the Texans had a better QB:

The Texans were set with Wand - Pitts - McKinney - Weigert - Wade and we (coaches and fans) didn't know it.

------They wouldn't have taken Wade's cap hit.

------No Victor Riley!

The offense should have been better at that point and the line could have played 2-3 seasons together and rocked.

Gaffney should have had a lot more catches and been a keeper.

The Texans actually had a good offense, less one player, so Casserly was doing better than he was given credit for.

==========================

If as much was on Carr as is thought now, the Carr experiment certainly damaged a lot of careers and reputations.
Lets not go too far the other way, our O-Line wasn't good.

Of that line group I think only Pitts has above average skills, Wade wouldn't fit in a ZBS scheme and McKinney is fading fast.

I think the group we have now, especially with a fit Spencer is a far better group to grow and develop.
Old 05-23-2007   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Definitely NOT a "good" example of DC scrambling, that's for sure. I'm not sure I'd point to it as any kind of "glowing example" of a GOOD O-Line either...at least from a Pass-Protection standpoint.

That was Baldinger's point. In the highlighted play, the QB didn't have to pull it down and scramble. There were two receivers open in his field of view and Baldinger was highlighting how the QB should have pulled the trigger on either, but didn't, because he obviously didn't anticipate or see either opportunity before giving up on the play even though he had a time window, albeit brief, to get rid of it.

A few of the comparative Schaub highlights showed him recognizing opportunities downfield - also while under heavy pressure - and delivering the ball to the target. Again, the ability and inability to quickly read and recognize was the point - or at least I thought it was...

I could easily construct a few highlights to argue how much the o-line sucks too. But in this case, for whatever reason, NFL-N chose to analyze QB decision making instead of just piling on the o-line like sheep as usual.

Last edited by aj.; 05-23-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2007   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I could easily construct a few highlights to argue how much the o-line sucks too. But in this case, for whatever reason, NFL-N chose to analyze QB decision making instead of just piling on the o-line like sheep as usual.
You could construct a "Highlight reel" of every O-line in the league looking poor . The difference between a succuessful play and a failed one in this league is minute .

Im not sold on the fact Shaub is the answer to the Texans QB issues but he cant be any worse than Carr was .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Lets not go too far the other way, our O-Line wasn't good.
I know, I just wanted to fit the "it was all Carr" euphoria into the bigger picture.

In my posts in 2004, I pointed out Carr ran into sacks and the o-line had scheme problems to go along with the o-line personnel issues. I'm certainly not an "it was all the o-line" guy. Back then I would have rated the sack problem causes as:

1) Coaching/schemes - by far the biggest problem
2) O-line personnel
3) Carr
4) RBs and TEs

In hindsight I would put Carr ahead of the o-line, but I still wouldn't absolve them of all responsibility.

==============================

With today's team:

I think the coaching has improved, but they still need to get the schemes to match the personnel. I'm confident this will happen.

Carr is gone, and Schaub needs to prove he is a big part of the answer.

The o-line personnel looks deeper, but they lack a couple of quality starters at center and left tackle.

We shold have better blocking from our backs and more complete tight ends.

======================

All in all, the passing game should improve but there are still people (players and coaches) who need to live up to expectations and holes to fill. I don't expect a top 10 pasing game, not even a top 15.
Old 05-23-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Good to see that media outlets are actually starting to watch/review our games rather than just regurgitate the assumption that Carr walked on water.

I will miss the finesse of the Fresno Fall on Sundays.
Old 05-23-2007   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I will miss the finesse of the Fresno Fall on Sundays.
Get me drunk enough and I'll re-enact it for you every saturday evening

White bear down!
Old 05-23-2007   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I know, I just wanted to fit the "it was all Carr" euphoria into the bigger picture.

Who said it was all Carr?

This piece highlighted Carr's troubles reading defenses and especially making quick reads. It was surprising in that it was one of the first I've seen to focus on the aspect of his game that many on the various mb's had been criticizing for years. It was presented in the context that it wasn't all the o-lines fault (for a change).

Personally, I think our o-line improved the minute Ocho Viejo walked out the door.

Last edited by aj.; 05-23-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
McKinney is fading fast.
Where does that come from?--particularly when the guy in front of him is the one who is fading if anyone is. McKinney was an upgrade when he came in last year. Interesting camp battle.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read