Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2007   #1
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Optimism from the Seahawk Huddle

Wow! This is the nicest write-up about the coming Texan season I've seen and I'll take it no matter who wrote it.
link

Quote:
However presumptions of the team's first winning season and playoff appearance can finally be made without too much snickering.

The selection of 19 year old phenom Amobi Okoye out of the University of Louisville is interesting on so many levels. If the fact that he is a considered by some to be an intellectual genius doesn't get you excited, maybe the comparisons he's drawn to Reggie White and Warren Sapp will.

Experts agree that the Texans were lucky when he slipped to the tenth spot in the first round of this year's draft, making it possible for them to address their need for a potentially dominating defensive tackle.

Perhaps the best-kept secret of the 2007 draft was Lane College's wide receiver, Jacoby Jones, taken by Houston with the 73rd overall selection. What makes him so special is his ability to pretty much do anything.

n summary, the Texans seem to have turned a corner this offseason by doing things former leadership refused to do; taking some risks. Success will be measured not by the number of wins and losses as much as it will be by simply making the playoffs.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Optimism from the Seahawk Huddle

The bit about previous management not taking risks is laughable.

Hello every draft we seemed to be riverboat gambling, Hollings, Babin, Boselli.... risk, risk, risk.... bust, bust, bust.......
Old 05-21-2007   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a nice read and seems to be little more in tune to what some of already feel, but it reads like something DB would have written. mainly cause the writer can not spell Schaub's name correctly.

Old 05-21-2007   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
The free agent signing of long-time Green Bay Packers’ running back, Ahman Green, provides a punch out of the trenches that has been missing since Williams went down. Rumors that Green is in the best shape of his career add to the mounting evidence that this year may indeed be different from the rest.
where'd that rumor start?
Old 05-22-2007   #5
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take it, that's for sure. The Texans are coming around, people!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Man I'm ready for football season. June, July, and August take too long.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #7
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
where'd that rumor start?
I believe the texans site had an article /interview on it. could be wrong.
Old 05-22-2007   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"the charm of the Bayou City" ? Huh ?
Houston is a lot of things, some good and some not so good, but H-town a charming city ? What a croc !
And the report on the team ? I like upbeat stuff but I also need reality and balance for credibility. I'm going into this season without my eyes closed.
Lets atleast get a couple preseason games under our belt to have a look-see at what we got here before we declare our turnaround underway. This is still a work-in-process people.
Anyway, nice to see the good pub but I gotta think somebody with the Texans paid that guy for his story.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #9
real

LOL....

People complain about the negative write-ups the Texans 'always' recieve, and then we bash the positive ones....

My Texan fans, my Texan fans....
Old 05-22-2007   #10
Rocky79
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"the charm of the Bayou City" ? Huh ?
Houston is a lot of things, some good and some not so good, but H-town a charming city ? What a croc !
I love the H, and I think it does have a charm to it. You see so many guys who come here from out of state and never want to leave....there must be some reason for that if not the charm of the city.

Now Jacksonville.....there's a charmless stink hole of a town. Houston has made some shrewd moves in the offseason, and I know everyone is cautious about really getting behind the thought of a playoff push. But I say "why not us"?

If we can win 3 more games, we are in the hunt. We have better talent this year, Kubes has his rookie year under his belt, there is a sense of stability that was'nt here last year, the distraction of Carr is gone. We're young, we're mean, we're hungry.....why not us????

Rocky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked the article. Whether you agree with his perception of our history or not, you have to commend him on actually studying it versus looking at a stat sheet and making erroneous assumptions.

Anyways, I have one trivial disagreement with the writer.

Quote:
In summary, the Texans seem to have turned a corner this offseason by doing things former leadership refused to do; taking some risks. Success will be measured not by the number of wins and losses as much as it will be by simply making the playoffs.
To me, success is measured by 2 things. (1) A .500+ season, and (2) a playoff appearance.

If either of those things happen, Kubiak, Smith, and company get an A+ in my book.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #12
real

I don't 100% agree....

IMO, 8-8 without a playoff berth won't be good enough....
Old 05-22-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky79 View Post
I love the H, and I think it does have a charm to it. You see so many guys who come here from out of state and never want to leave....there must be some reason for that if not the charm of the city.
While I'm not from here, Houston has still been my home for almost as many years as you've been on this planet, so I've had time to get to know it. And I am very sentimental about Houston and it has many, many things going for it.
But I just can't bring myself to call Houston charming. Potent, dynamic, cosmopolitan are some of the things that come to mind, but not charming. Its just too big and too dang overwhelming at times for me to says its truly charming.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #14
real

Quote:
While I'm not from here, Houston has still been my home for almost as many years as you've been on this planet, so I've had time to get to know it. And I am very sentimental about Houston and it has many, many things going for it.
But I just can't bring myself to call Houston charming. Potent, dynamic, cosmopolitan are some of the things that come to mind, but not charming. Its just too big and too dang overwhelming at times for me to says its truly charming.
I think it depends on your outlook....

If you visit Houston from New york, I could see you thinking it's charming...

If you visit Houston from L.A I can see you thhinking it's charming...

but if you're visiting from Waco or dustyville, Idaho....then no...
Old 05-22-2007   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It is a nice read and seems to be little more in tune to what some of already feel, but it reads like something DB would have written. mainly cause the writer can not spell Schaub's name correctly.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Quote:
Old Town Spring is 'charming'. Houston is...an industrial sea with a few nice islands of culture. (I'm a native of H-town, so maybe I just take things for granted. Except when we have an out-of-town visitor that wants to see the sights...NASA, check for a sporting event...uhhhhh....what else? )
Old 05-22-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

What else?
Several theatres of performing arts (plays, symphony, opera, ballet) Art galleries, history, restaraunts, parks, festivals, etc, etc....

I had my cousin visiting from Hawaii and had never been to Houston. He said that Houston was the "smallest" big city that he had ever been to. Meaning, while he recognized Houston as the 4th largest city in the Country, he did not get that from the people he met here and how he was treated here.... To some, that equals "Charming"...
Old 05-22-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What else?
Several theatres of performing arts (plays, symphony, opera, ballet) Art galleries, history, restaraunts, parks, festivals, etc, etc....
yeah, I was being sarcastic more than anything. We have the usual assortment of fine arts and museums that all big cities have ("a few nice islands of culture"), but there is not a whole lot of 'unique' to Houston is what I was trying to convey (i.e. San Antonio's river walk, for instance).

You can take a tour of the Houston Ship Channel on the Sam Houston Boat, though! However, I'd suggest some cotton for the nose, unless 'stinky' is your thang.

oh, someone in my office just mentioned the Battleship Texas and Kema Boardwalk. So yeah, we've got those things, too.
Old 05-22-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, I was being sarcastic more than anything. We have the usual assortment of fine arts and museums that all big cities have ("a few nice islands of culture"), but there is not a whole lot of 'unique' to Houston is what I was trying to convey (i.e. San Antonio's river walk, for instance).

You can take a tour of the Houston Ship Channel on the Sam Houston Boat, though! However, I'd suggest some cotton for the nose, unless 'stinky' is your thang.

oh, someone in my office just mentioned the Battleship Texas and Kema Boardwalk. So yeah, we've got those things, too.
I think Houston is awesome....You can go downtown, to the theatre district or the fine arts district if you want that inner city feel...or you can go out to some of the suburbs and get a kind of country/spread out feel....

We have Nasa....If you want to spend a little time at the beach Galveston is a hop away....

I love my city...

I think the things to do in Houston are underrated...
Old 05-22-2007   #19
whiskeyrbl

Love the fact someone other than us are optomistic about 2007
Old 05-22-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear you on the sarcasm but I dont think a lot people are aware of this when it comes to performing arts:
Quote:
The Houston Theater District is ranked second in the nation for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines of opera, ballet, music, and theater.
Houston Theatre District

Just saying that its not like ALL big cities.....

I covered the Battleship Texas, San Jacinto and Allen's Landing etc. all in the "history" part of my post...

Back to topic, I am glad to see that others are seeing through the first five years and actually have taken the time to peek into the future!!

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 05-22-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Back to Topic
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read