Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2007   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vandermeer's blog for OTA Day One

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/blogs.asp?post_id=150

My first reaction to seeing the new Texans work out at the Methodist Training Center was that it's great to have football back. My next one was that it was a tad strange to see the number 8 on another QB. Matt Schaub looks so physically different than the former number 8 but this is my sixth year coming to practice so I had to adjust my eyes a few times. Darius Walker wearing number 37 wasn't exactly easy either.

Schaub looked like he was getting his sea legs early in the 11-on-11 workouts then started to connect on some deep balls that will be very welcome when the action begins for real. Ahman Green is in tremendous shape and, with health, will enable the Texans to take the next step in the ground game. Right now I have no idea how good Jacoby Jones is going to be but he just has that look about him that says he's a player. We'll see.

Seeing Amobi Okoye and Mario Williams stand next to each other made me think of the awesome potential of these two. The Texans defense was in the top-10 if you separate the last 10 weeks of the season. This is after a three game start that had them about a hundred yards per game in dead last. Think of getting started this season with DeMeco and Mario no longer rookies and Okoye chipping in.

Jon Abbate looks small (5-11, 245) but ferocious. Undrafted rookie Brandon Mitchell (6-2, 205) is easy to spot at safety. C.C. Brown and Glenn Earl were the 'starters', but there is a lot going on behind them. Dexter McCleon got some safety work. So did Von Hutchins.

The most entertaining coach so far is D-line mentor Jethro Franklin. To a player needing to attack better: "Either you're going to have to deal with him or with me, and you don't want to deal with me." You had to be there. Trust me, it's all in the delivery.

Kailee Wong is done. It's sad to know that another original Texan is out. He came back from a knee injury that few thought was possible to overcome. He just couldn't stay back. He will be missed. The best Wong memory is making two sacks on Mark Brunell on the last possession in Jacksonville in '02 in the second ever Texan win. We also lose the fun pop culture connection of Kailee's brother-in-law Mario Lopez of Saved By The Bell fame.
Old 05-18-2007   #2
NFLforher
All Pro

Really good. Thanks for posting that.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff!

Quote:
Seeing Amobi Okoye and Mario Williams stand next to each other made me think of the awesome potential of these two. The Texans defense was in the top-10 if you separate the last 10 weeks of the season. This is after a three game start that had them about a hundred yards per game in dead last. Think of getting started this season with DeMeco and Mario no longer rookies and Okoye chipping in.
I'm stoked about our D next season. Our first 6 games last year were horrible, but I didn't realize how they stacked up in the last 10 games (top 10). I think they will hit the ground running this time around, having a year under their belt with Smith (and now Bush). Plus a second year DeMeco, a healthy Mario in his second year, and of course our rookie lineman....man, I can't wait to yell my arse off for this D!!
Old 05-18-2007   #4
studogg
Rookie

I wish I could accept Vandy as an objective observer, but I find it very hard. With that said, any info from OTA's is greatly appreciated.
studogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

yeah, i want to hear about TJ, Greenwood, and some of the other 'bubble' players. I am curious to see if either of them can show enough to keep their jobs.
Old 05-18-2007   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
yeah, i want to hear about TJ, Greenwood, and some of the other 'bubble' players. I am curious to see if either of them can show enough to keep their jobs.
I wouldn't think that Morlon is on the bubble, is he? If so, who's in competition for his slot? I thought that I read that DeMeco and Morlon's jobs were not in jeopardy. We have maybe one of the deepest linebacking corps in the league but we don't have a 1-2 punch outside of DeMeco and Morlon.

Again, I'm not one of your 'gurus.' I'm just a fan looking from the outside and stating my views on the subject and welcome positive criticism. Just be nice about it. I've encountered some rather brash folks over the last couple of days. Dunno what that's all about.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Again, I'm not one of your 'gurus.' I'm just a fan looking from the outside and stating my views on the subject and welcome positive criticism. Just be nice about it. I've encountered some rather brash folks over the last couple of days. Dunno what that's all about.
Truth be told, there are not many true 'gurus'...and the ones that are considered as such are very nice about it. I hate to hear that you've encountered the brash, but some people can be full of it, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

But I agree with you about Greenwood. From what I've read, he is pencilled in as a starter. While I'm sure they'll all have to compete for their positions, I think it's his job to lose at the moment.
Old 05-18-2007   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I wouldn't think that Morlon is on the bubble, is he? If so, who's in competition for his slot? I thought that I read that DeMeco and Morlon's jobs were not in jeopardy. We have maybe one of the deepest linebacking corps in the league but we don't have a 1-2 punch outside of DeMeco and Morlon.

It is the off season and some folks are just testy. Just hang in there and keep reading and do not let them get to ya. I will try and look and see if I can find any info on that for ya.

Old 05-19-2007   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm stoked about our D next season. Our first 6 games last year were horrible, but I didn't realize how they stacked up in the last 10 games (top 10). I think they will hit the ground running this time around, having a year under their belt with Smith (and now Bush). Plus a second year DeMeco, a healthy Mario in his second year, and of course our rookie lineman....man,
I think when all is said and done this year, the Texans will have a personality. They will be known as a defensive team.
Old 05-19-2007   #10
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
TJ I agree, although I dont really see Greenwood as a "bubble" player, I thought he played very well, and Kubiak stated the same thing last year and this year. but that's just my oppinion.
Old 05-19-2007   #11
whiskeyrbl

I would agree that it is Morlon's job to lose. But if Clark or Barber out do him in TC, would not be surprised to see one of them in there come week one. Man it sure is nice to finally be able to talk about a team that seems to have some depth.
Old 05-19-2007   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I would agree that it is Morlon's job to lose. But if Clark or Barber out do him in TC, would not be surprised to see one of them in there come week one. Man it sure is nice to finally be able to talk about a team that seems to have some depth.
Don't forget competition. Slack off and your job will be picking splinters out your butt on monday.
Old 05-19-2007   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think when all is said and done this year, the Texans will have a personality. They will be known as a defensive team.
You know what I agree with you and I am happy about it. I love the fact that we are building our defense up. But I am a defensive guy in any sport. You pick me in that weekly pick up game and I am playing defense for your team. I don't care if it's football, soccer, or even golf. The way I see it let's add some defense to that sport. Better believe I add some verbal defense when I play golf with my friends. There is no hushing up when people are taking their swing. That's just how my mind works. Defense rocks.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #14
brip
Rookie

i have a question, why do the rookies practice without a contract done yet, if they got hurt badly you would think they could lose a lot of money. is it insurace protecting them are what? thanks -rip
brip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brip View Post
i have a question, why do the rookies practice without a contract done yet, if they got hurt badly you would think they could lose a lot of money. is it insurace protecting them are what? thanks -rip
I was actually wondering about that myself in my subconcious but I couldn't pull it out of my head. GREAT QUESTION!

I've been thinking about contracts a lot. See, I'm beginning to play fantasy football and contracts have just ignited a spark with my ethusiasm for trying to get out there. I consider myself to be pretty well versed with the college game (as a fan and only a fan) and I'm now moving on up to the big leagues outside of my beloved Houston Texans.

If I were Amobi, I wouldn't be at OTA even though it's an extremely light workout. He'd stand to lose millions if he were to just roll his ankle or have a Charles Spencer trip and fall on him. Augh! I'm loving a Spencer/Okoye match up. I sure can't wait for training camp.

Now, I'd just get a contract done. I wouldn't sweat the small details and pull a holdout but I'd do whatever it takes to get the contract signed but that's just me. Protecting yourself is ok but holding out isn't protecting yourself. It's sweating the small details.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice read, but I bet some beat reporter or sportscaster is saying the same thing about their own NFL team all over the league. Once preseason starts, then I'll get a little more excited.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I wasn't saying that Greenwood was gone, but I was saying that he may be on the bubble if they can find someone to do the same thing for less money. Greenwood's deal is a Casserley deal so it is inherently a poor contract.

I am not hating on Greenwood, I am just thinking aloud that they may go for a cheaper alternative if they can find someone to step up.

Nitro, if people are giving you a hard time, dont worry about it. Your OK in my book
Old 05-20-2007   #18
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/blogs.asp?post_id=150

Undrafted rookie Brandon Mitchell (6-2, 205) is easy to spot at safety. C.C. Brown and Glenn Earl were the 'starters', but there is a lot going on behind them. Dexter McCleon got some safety work. So did Von Hutchins.
KT -- what did you mean "easy to spot at safety?" Was he over- or underperforming?

Thanks,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
KT -- what did you mean "easy to spot at safety?" Was he over- or underperforming?

Thanks,
Rick
Those words are Vandermeer's. I added nothing. But if I were going to go out on a limb and into Vandermeer's medulla oblongata I would venture to guess it is because he is big for Safety?
Old 05-20-2007   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasn't saying that Greenwood was gone, but I was saying that he may be on the bubble if they can find someone to do the same thing for less money. Greenwood's deal is a Casserley deal so it is inherently a poor contract.

I am not hating on Greenwood, I am just thinking aloud that they may go for a cheaper alternative if they can find someone to step up.

Nitro, if people are giving you a hard time, dont worry about it. Your OK in my book
I think Greenwood may be a casualty also...his cap hit doesn't represent the kind of player he is....it's too high for the goods he brings to the table.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read