Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-17-2007   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Georgia CB-supplemental draft

Having bad grades is not necessarily a sign of bad character. Would we get a shot at him in the 8 spot?

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05...ner-to-grades/
Old 05-17-2007   #2
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

look into his situation and see if character is a major concern. It seems like he does not care very much for school but thats not very uncommon

maybe just a questionable work ethic or study habits? I havent seen him play so i can really say how good he is on the football field.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I hope nobody gives up a 1st for him. With that said, I don't think we take a chance on him unless its a 2nd. Oh wait . . .
Old 05-18-2007   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that bothers me is that he didn't declare thinking he would go back to school but didn't realise he wasn't eligible.

That strikes me as being either lazy or unintelligent.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give a second in a heartbeat for Paul Oliver, dude would have been the first or second CB drafted if he had declared this year...if we had a second. I don't think a third will get it done.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I am VERY confused in regards to what exactly the supplemental draft is. I just did a quick looksee on NFL.com and couldn't see anything in regards to it. Can someone post a really solid link that would describe and explain the costs of a supplemental draft. I'm very confused because LORK said that he would hope that nobody gives up a first? What? Did he mean a first round pick for next season? To get a player in the supplemental draft? What about UDFAs? Do they not apply towards the supplemental draft? Ugh. I need to hold off my questions because I don't know what I'm asking. Anyway, a link or a post explaining all of this would be great!
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #7
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I am VERY confused in regards to what exactly the supplemental draft is. I just did a quick looksee on NFL.com and couldn't see anything in regards to it. Can someone post a really solid link that would describe and explain the costs of a supplemental draft. I'm very confused because LORK said that he would hope that nobody gives up a first? What? Did he mean a first round pick for next season? To get a player in the supplemental draft? What about UDFAs? Do they not apply towards the supplemental draft? Ugh. I need to hold off my questions because I don't know what I'm asking. Anyway, a link or a post explaining all of this would be great!
The supplimental draft is for players who couldn't make it into the regular draft for one reason or another (usually academically inelidgable, missed the deadline for the regular draft, etc). Its held in the summer (June I think) and only consists of afew players. The way it works is teams bid on players with next years draft picks. For example, if one team says they bid their 1st on a player and no other team bids a 1st, they get him. If 2 teams bid a 1st, the player goes to the team who had the higher 1st rounder in that years regular draft. If nobody bids anything, he becomes a UDFA and can sign anywhere he wants. If you get to draft a player, you that rounds pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Hope this helped!
Old 05-18-2007   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the explanation as I had it all wrong. I thought teams would select in the same order as they did in the original draft (before trades up and down).
Old 05-18-2007   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It is all conducted by e-mail. The league sends one out starting a, I believe, 30 minute window for responses from the teams on what they will offer.
Old 05-18-2007   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

I finally found a great explaination about the supplemental draft as well as a history of it. This was written in 2003 I believe since Hollings and Brown are on there. Sorry but this was the most updated one that I could find. If anyone else could help out...

Via email? That's interesting, infantrycak. Are you certain of this?
Old 05-18-2007   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

last years supplement draft

Quote:
Once the draft order is determined by weighted lottery, Brandt said teams usually take one of three steps:

1) Teams will inform the NFL that they are electing to pass on the entire draft.

2) In advance, teams will inform the NFL what round they are willing to select an eligible player (and must surrender that corresponding pick in the 2007 entry draft).

3) Teams wait by the phone or email, and inform the NFL during the draft of their intentions.

The draft is held via telephone/email.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...mental_dr.html

Gil Brandt's piece
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Give a third for a sweet cornerback, no doubt.

Then on draft day next year, we watch until Houston picks, then go cut the grass and pick up on day 2.

I'm wit' it.
Old 05-18-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Give a third for a sweet cornerback, no doubt.

Then on draft day next year, we watch until Houston picks, then go cut the grass and pick up on day 2.

I'm wit' it.
I'd definitely give a third in 08 for a hamburger er CB today, but if he is that good would not some one else offer better? Who could possibly be available in 3rd or 4th next year at CB? What are stats on this guy? An advantage is we would have him for a year compared to someone next season just coming on even if there was someone available at our pick.
Old 05-18-2007   #14
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Realistically, I don't see us offering anything for him. Kubiak said in a presser Faggins IS the #2 CB. I take that to mean Bennett and Fletcher are competing for a nickel spot.

I'd offer a 3rd round pick for Oliver though.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #15
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_NFL_...er_georgia.htm

Quote:
Cornerback Paul Oliver has built himself quite a reputation; he is being mentioned as the only cornerback that was able to shut down all-world Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson last year (2006). Oliver held Johnson to two catches for 13 yards, which included Oliver knocking a touchdown pass out of Johnson's hands in the end zone, as well as a late-game interception that ensured a 15-12 Bulldog victory in the final regular game of the 2006 season (Nov. 25).
A 6 fot, 210 CB who has played well in the SEC.
Old 05-18-2007   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_NFL_...er_georgia.htm

A 6 fot, 210 CB who has played well in the SEC.
Thanks your post triggered a dormant memory that I had read about him shutting down Johnson. He has good size but that probably lowers his speed. Most CBs running 4.5 or better are usually below 200 lbs, I think.
Old 05-18-2007   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks your post triggered a dormant memory that I had read about him shutting down Johnson. He has good size but that probably lowers his speed. Most CBs running 4.5 or better are usually below 200 lbs, I think.
I've seen him estimated as a 4.4-4.5 guy.
Old 05-18-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

I googled and his speed is 4.38 to 4.52
Old 05-19-2007   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

I have two questions. I'm just trying to learn about the supplemental draft here.

I'm not saying we will. I'm just supposing here... If we were to give up our first rounder in order to acquire him. Who gets that first round slot that we just gave up?

And the big question here is what kind of a contract would we have to pay him? My understanding is that we had the first pick last season so we'd be the front runners if that happened because if we're tied with another team, the team that was higher up on the pole from last season's draft wins out. Does this mean we'd have to pay him top dollar like we did for Mario? That doesn't sound very likely but it IS something that I'd like to know about.

I think I just confused myself with this post.
Old 05-19-2007   #20
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I have two questions. I'm just trying to learn about the supplemental draft here.

I'm not saying we will. I'm just supposing here... If we were to give up our first rounder in order to acquire him. Who gets that first round slot that we just gave up?

And the big question here is what kind of a contract would we have to pay him? My understanding is that we had the first pick last season so we'd be the front runners if that happened because if we're tied with another team, the team that was higher up on the pole from last season's draft wins out. Does this mean we'd have to pay him top dollar like we did for Mario? That doesn't sound very likely but it IS something that I'd like to know about.
Nobody gets the slot we gave up, it shows up as forfeited. Cincy for example ended up giving up this years 93rd pick (or around there) and they just skipped over the pick.

As for the contract, Im not too sure. My guess would be that if a team gives up their 2nd rounder (lets say 1st pick in round 2), that they would try to make it equivelant to what this years 1st pick in round 2 got.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read