Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2007   #1
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We are 1 of 12 QB situations worth watching

or so says Don Banks, SI.com
link

Houston -- Texans fans don't have David Carr to kick around any more. But is that the good news or the bad news in Houston, where Carr was held responsible for everything shy of the Oilers leaving town in the first place? So desperate were the Texans to end the Carr era that they have pinned their future hopes at the position on a guy who is 0-2 in his two career starts, with a 69.2 passer rating in his limited NFL action. Schaub has talent, and the odds are he'll quickly make us forget what little he accomplished in Atlanta as Vick's backup. But if he doesn't, he wouldn't be the first career No. 2 to wilt under the glare of the No. 1 spotlight. If he should struggle, one intriguing option to keep tabs of is rookie Jared Zabransky, of Boise State fame.

At least this guy admits Matt has talent.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Schaub, Houston and Atlanta will always be linked because of this deal, lets add the comments about Atlanta to this discussion as well...

Quote:
Atlanta -- The Falcons received a veritable windfall from Houston in the Matt Schaub trade. But I'm guessing they'll have to remind themselves of that point on an hourly basis if anything happens to starter Michael Vick early this season due to injury, or say, league suspension? Then again, it's not like Schaub was a proven commodity as a backup. He was more about promise than production, and let's not forget that the newly signed Joey Harrington did win five of his 11 starts in Miami in 2006.

All I know is that Vick better hit the ground running this season (I mean, passing), because if either Harrington or ex-Georgia Bulldog D.J. Shockley happens to win in his absence, that short leash that the Falcons say they'll have Vick on this season might grow noticeably shorter.
Old 05-17-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

At least we didn't end up with the dog-fight runner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
or so says Don Banks, SI.com
link

• Houston -- Texans fans don't have David Carr to kick around any more. But is that the good news or the bad news in Houston, where Carr was held responsible for everything shy of the Oilers leaving town in the first place?
I don't get this. We've played musical LT since our inception. Fired Offensive Coordinators, Fired coaches, revamped the defense, chewed through WRs like they were on sale, replaced all but three positions since David has been our starter...

And we're blaming everything on David freak'n Carr.

sheesh...
Old 05-17-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Every QB coming out of college is unproven, yet Shaub seems to be under much more scrutiny. He wasn't a starter in ATL because of talent, but only because the Falcons owner has standing orders that Vick be the starting QB (something Texans fans are familiar with).

I have yet to see a national sports writer actually analyze David Carr, the QB. Makes me think of the Borg in Star Trek, where they all tap into a universal mind without the ability to think for themselves. Carr shares as much (or more) blame for his woes as the line, backs, receivers, and/or coaching staff. But yet none of the so-called professional sports writers seem to get it.
Old 05-17-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Every QB coming out of college is unproven, yet Shaub seems to be under much more scrutiny. He wasn't a starter in ATL because of talent, but only because the Falcons owner has standing orders that Vick be the starting QB (something Texans fans are familiar with).

I have yet to see a national sports writer actually analyze David Carr, the QB. Makes me think of the Borg in Star Trek, where they all tap into a universal mind without the ability to think for themselves. Carr shares as much (or more) blame for his woes as the line, backs, receivers, and/or coaching staff. But yet none of the so-called professional sports writers seem to get it.
I am trying to chip away at this my own self.

Texans FanHouse: David Carr or the Offensive Line: The Chicken Egg Question

If you ever want to easily respond to a national borg writer about this subject, I think this is something that is handy to link to.

As for what happens if Schaub struggles, part of that is learning a new offense, an offense that Shanahan Sr. has described as one that takes 3 years for a quarterback to master. I am thinking that Rosenfels would get more a legit shot this year if things really went south, and would have last year had he not broke his hand.
Old 05-17-2007   #7
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It is spelled Schaub. Otherwise, I agree with your post.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2007   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
At least we didn't end up with the dog-fight runner.
Excuse me! I don't like the context here - how about operator, promoter, or slimeball? I don't like being associated with anything so flagitious.
Old 05-17-2007   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The only reason it's interesting is because Carr was let go, so a lot of people are going to want to do a blanket comparison of the team between when Schaub took over and when Dave left, and we will all be able to curb it to our own perspectives. The reality is that there are a lot of holes, and QB was just one of them. The Texans have done little to patch the other holes. If they don't produce this season it is because of their inability to patch holes.

I am real excited, however, in seeing the development of Okobe (keeping in mind he's just a rookie) and the production of a real running back this year. The defensive line and the running back are the workhorses of Kube's team. It will be interesting to see how well they perform this year.
Old 05-17-2007   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't like being associated with anything so flagitious.
Hehe, hehe--he said flagitious.
Old 05-17-2007   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Excuse me! I don't like the context here - how about operator, promoter, or slimeball? I don't like being associated with anything so flagitious.
I had wondered where your name came from and just assumed it was drug related. Hadn't even thought of underground sport promotions.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #12
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 18 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

I was going to argue, but I figured it was Futile...
Old 05-18-2007   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't get this. We've played musical LT since our inception. Fired Offensive Coordinators, Fired coaches, revamped the defense, chewed through WRs like they were on sale, replaced all but three positions since David has been our starter...

And we're blaming everything on David freak'n Carr.

sheesh...
I for one blame everything on Casserley. All those things that you list and Carr are all Casserley.
Old 05-18-2007   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I had wondered where your name came from and just assumed it was drug related. Hadn't even thought of underground sport promotions.
Hey! This is getting out of control. Running is a form of EXERCISE. I chose Runner because I RUN.
Old 05-18-2007   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hehe, hehe--he said flagitious.
I don't understand what's funny. What word would you have used?

flagitious \fluh-JISH-uhs\, adjective:
1. Disgracefully or shamefully criminal; grossly wicked; scandalous; -- said of acts, crimes, etc.
2. Guilty of enormous crimes; corrupt; profligate; -- said of persons.
3. Characterized by enormous crimes or scandalous vices; as, "flagitious times."
Old 05-18-2007   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every QB coming out of college is unproven, yet Shaub = SCHAUB seems to be under much more scrutiny. He wasn't a starter in ATL because of talent, but only because the Falcons owner has standing orders that Vick be the starting QB (something Texans fans are familiar with).

I agree with you, it pains me to listen to Schlerth and Golic, both of whom I like, about the Texans OL. You would think a lineman no matter a Dl or OL would no that it is not only the OL that causes sacks. It is as if they are not free thinkers and can not go with a real thought of their own and have to say the party line and that the only thing that is wrong is the part line.

why does Banks use the word "us" in his talking about the Texans? I bet he has only watched two complete games of our beloved team. I get so fruastrated by the talk that comes from these national media guys because they talk without knowledge.
Old 05-18-2007   #17
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey! This is getting out of control. Running is a form of EXERCISE. I chose Runner because I RUN.
Judging from your reaction, drugs are definately involved

Oh, and on the original article/link, good read. Nice to see someone being able to write something short without reverting to espn'isque ramblings.
Old 05-18-2007   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All this time I thought you were just really into that Schwarzenegger movie...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Judging from your reaction, drugs are definately involved
Yep. He doth protest too much. My initial impression was obviously correct and this whole exercise thing is a ruse.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
All this time I thought you were just really into that Schwarzenegger movie...
It gets worse and worse.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read