Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans fire Miller McCalmon

Megan Manfull reports in today's Houston Chronicle (at end of article on Matt Schaub) on page 10; the team's associate director of pro scouting was dismissed after 7 seasons with Texans and 30 in the NFL. He was a former coach with Oilers and 10 years scouting for Redskins per article.
Old 05-16-2007   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

And another of the CC crew is gone.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #3
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 11020 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember calling him right after the 2000 draft. I wanted to know what all went into drafting, all the prep, etc., and figured it would be easier to contact your Texans office than the Titans. He was the one who answered the phone (I guess no secretaries at the time or they were all out to lunch) and spent 30 minutes on the phone with me, answering all my questions.

I know that wasn't here nor there regarding the Texans, just a nice memory. I wish him well.
Old 05-16-2007   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
I remember calling him right after the 2000 draft. I wanted to know what all went into drafting, all the prep, etc., and figured it would be easier to contact your Texans office than the Titans. He was the one who answered the phone (I guess no secretaries at the time or they were all out to lunch) and spent 30 minutes on the phone with me, answering all my questions.

I know that wasn't here nor there regarding the Texans, just a nice memory. I wish him well.
Back in the day you could actually get an answer to questions about what in the world is going on with a team. There is no way you could get that now even if your life depended upon it.

Nice memory Yvette.

p.s. Not that I know the guy but I am glad the past is being put where it belongs, in the past. So the team can move forward. No disrespect to him what so ever.

Old 05-16-2007   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember Lance Zierlein saying that a shake-up was coming in the scouting dept. That was months ago.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

here is the link and quote...

Quote:
In other news, the Texans fired Miller McCalmon, the team's associate director of pro scouting. McCalmon was dismissed after seven seasons with the Texans and 30 in the NFL. He was a former assistant coach for the Oilers and spent 10 years scouting college players for the Washington Redskins.
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spor...t/4808193.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #7
real

I wonder if this has anything to do with his actual quality of work...
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2007   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Megan Manfull reports in today's Houston Chronicle (at end of article on Matt Schaub) on page 10; the team's associate director of pro scouting was dismissed after 7 seasons with Texans and 30 in the NFL. He was a former coach with Oilers and 10 years scouting for Redskins per article.

Yup, just cleaning up the CC mess.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #9
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How do you get 7 when we started in 2002?
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
They were looking for gems like David Carr and Tony Hollings years before we got going....not that this was a good thing in retrospect.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #11
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They were looking for gems like David Carr and Tony Hollings years before we got going....not that this was a good thing in retrospect.
Thats what we get for listening to Chan Gailey recommend Hollings. Glad the CC era is over.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #12
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 11020 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
The franchise was awarded in '99 and Casserly was hired in '00. He immediately started putting together a staff and McCalmon was in from the start (I learned that from Mr. McCalmon himself). I asked him about his job since your draft was so far away... at that point everything was all prep work, watching endless games.

By the way, I remember him telling me he had the opp to come to Nashville with the Titans, but chose to stay in Houston because it was home to him.
Old 05-16-2007   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans fired most of their scouts right after the draft as well. Like someone else said, Lance Z announced it a few months ago however.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Miller was a nice guy. I met him a couple of times when i was in the temp offices with them before they built reliant. Very much a hawaiian shirt guy. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere. Before all of you guys go bashing the old CC scouting regime, note that some of the people the texans are jettisoning are landing in very highly regarded positions and are upgrading their station considerably. If they sucked as bad as you all claim, they wouldn't be getting better jobs.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Miller was a nice guy. I met him a couple of times when i was in the temp offices with them before they built reliant. Very much a hawaiian shirt guy. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere. Before all of you guys go bashing the old CC scouting regime, note that some of the people the texans are jettisoning are landing in very highly regarded positions and are upgrading their station considerably. If they sucked as bad as you all claim, they wouldn't be getting better jobs.
Yes Gaffney landed in a good spot but I would bet you a six pack to a royal flush he does not make the Pats. Others are landing on some teams as back-ups and or getting good spots, but when you have a loaded team you can hide or mask a players weaknesses better .. Trent Dilfer is upset I brought this up .. Am I blaming the scouts, nope I blame Casserly for not having the balls to tell Capers that is a square peg trying to be shoved into a round hole.

Scouts only do so much it is up to the coaches and the GM to make the choices on the personel. At the sametime I would say moving away from the old regim is not a bad thing but it can affect the psychy of all the players and to say it is now a new era and time to either step-up or get the F-out!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read