Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2007   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Amobi- Next K. Williams or B. Bunkley?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10181432

like the LT thread not sure should it be here or the nfl section.. mentions okoye and is kind of relevant to the texans

personally i think okoye will have an ok season- wont dominate or bust imo

Quote:
The speed of the game is a whole other problem, especially with offensive lines that have worked together for years or are masters of the Alex Gibbs zone-blocking schemes. Rookie defensive tackles inevitably play too high to see the ball or the quarterback and it's easy pickings for the offensive linemen.

Health is also an issue for rookie defensive tackles. In the past four years, there have been 28 defensive tackles drafted on the first day of the draft (Rounds 1 through 3) and only 10 of the 28 were active for all 16 games their rookie season.

So with nine defensive tackles drafted on the first day of the 2007 draft, what do they really have to look forward to this season? Let's look back at the last four years to determine the future. Production expectations for a rookie defensive tackle has to be brought into a realistic area. Sure, Kevin Williams showed up as a first-round pick of the Vikings as a rookie in 2003 and started all 16 games and had 51 tackles, 10˝ sacks and four passes defended, but he's the exception, not the rule. Will first-round picks Amobi Okoye (Houston) or Justin Harrell (Green Bay) be the next Kevin Williams or will they be the next Brodrick Bunkley? Bunkley didn't start a game and had nine tackles, no sacks, no forced fumbles and no passes defended as a rookie for the Eagles last season.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He will start because of our issues at DT and that will put him closer to Williams than Bunkley.

But lets be realistic, not many DT's ever get double digit sacks so don't expect that.

Expect a similiar year to the one Mario had, solid yet unspectacular with the odd moment of greatness and mediocrity thrown in.
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
He will start because of our issues at DT and that will put him closer to Williams than Bunkley.

But lets be realistic, not many DT's ever get double digit sacks so don't expect that.

Expect a similiar year to the one Mario had, solid yet unspectacular with the odd moment of greatness and mediocrity thrown in.
There is no telling.

His attitude and history of acheivement looks good.

However, there is not much of a track record of 19 year old DTs, no matter how bright and motivated they are.

In addition, we have no clue what this defense can do. The coaching staff has never coached together before, there is a new line coach for the line, and the defense is very young. Kubiak at the draft luncheon talked a bit about how young that defense is.

No outcome for our defense would be surprising to me. They could be great or they could stink on ice or be somewhere in the middle. I just don't want a three game stretch like the beginning of last season as I never want to have to ask the question again in a blog post, "Is this the worst NFL defense of all times?"
Old 05-14-2007   #4
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10181432

like the LT thread not sure should it be here or the nfl section.. mentions okoye and is kind of relevant to the texans

personally i think okoye will have an ok season- wont dominate or bust imo

Great Post. I have to agree with Kiwi...I think Amobi will be mediocre with some streaks of brilliance. I think we can expect to see him dominate at least one game this year.....which wouldn't be bad. What I DO expect to see though, is Mario start dominating. As long as Amobi just plays better than TJ, then Mario should intimidate some Offenses my the middle of this season. Personally I can't wait. I still think that the defense, and the future of our team is going to come down to either Harrison or Bennett stepping up this year. If just one of them steps up to be a high quality player, then that puts us in a great position next draft. Imagine if we were in a position after possible 1 defensive FA to draft all offense next year
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

In fairness to Broderick Bunkley the Eagles have a deep DT and DE rotation. The fact they were able to trade away a solid player like Darwin Walker should say something. Andy Reid's Philsophy has been building in the trenches for the most part in his tenure there. Though the Kolb Pick has me a bit confused.

I think I'll agree with Kiwi's assesment though. Solid year with flashes of brilliance. Amobi should have a solid core to start with and i think given the right circumstances(like ANY player) should succeed.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm far more concerned about Mario and waiting to see if he becomes a real D playmaker and not an average NFL defensive player. Amobi is even younger and though not cheap at #10, he wasn't the #1 overall that Mario was and I think we will all will be willing to give him atleast a couple years to produce.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #7
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm far more concerned about Mario and waiting to see if he becomes a real D playmaker and not an average NFL defensive player. Amobi is even younger and though not cheap at #10, he wasn't the #1 overall that Mario was and I think we will all will be willing to give him atleast a couple years to produce.
actually the accepted consensus is 3 years for lineman on either side of the ball, wich means we are by no means in trouble anywhere, TJ is even ok, although he needs to show something substantial this year, mario is in year 2 and Amobi is a rookie in year 1, as are a few late round/UDFA's. I know the money thing comes into play also, but face it, not all high draft picks are pro bowlers, EVER. it's just the nature of the game. The term bust, however is a relative one. I call a player that can't contribute substantially as a starter a bust after 3 years, but some panic after 1. if you read the link, it shows, the odds are not good of ever producing a pro-bowler from the draft, in a any round. all that being said, I think the Texans will do fine this year, and better next year, and even better the year after. that's all I want is consistent mesurable improvement. call me old fashioned ... GO TEXANS!
Old 05-14-2007   #8
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just keep on thinking bank to the Giants game and the comments Bob Whitfield made. I want to hear more of that this year about Mario.

I want Left Tackles lying in bed awake at night all week before the game, I want quarterbacks hearing footsteps and backs and TE's being kpet in to block...... well I just want a dominant defensive line basically.

Mario and Okoye, could be the start of something beautiful.
Old 05-14-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just keep on thinking bank to the Giants game and the comments Bob Whitfield made. I want to hear more of that this year about Mario.
That was one series of plays against a past his prime LT who was not close to being one of the best when in his prime.
Here's what really concerns me about Mario. I've seen posts on this Board and other Boards from Texans fans who when attending a game at Reliant gave Mario there undivided attention when he was on the field.
Some said for practically the whole game he was handled one-on-one very nicely by the opposition, and sometimes the opposition was a smallish TE who was maybe 20 lbs. lighter than Mario. That really concerns me.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
That was one series of plays against a past his prime LT who was not close to being one of the best when in his prime.
Here's what really concerns me about Mario. I've seen posts on this Board and other Boards from Texans fans who when attending a game at Reliant gave Mario there undivided attention when he was on the field.
Some said for practically the whole game he was handled one-on-one very nicely by the opposition, and sometimes the opposition was a smallish TE who was maybe 20 lbs. lighter than Mario. That really concerns me.
If Mario can't bull rush a guy, he's useless

I remember Cooley (an H-Back) dominating Mario all game.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #11
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

okoye = sapp...w/out the mouth....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
I'll error in the favor of optimism . I'm going with Trap Star .
Old 05-14-2007   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
And we will have endless folks complaining about him being a bust or under performer if he only puts up rookie stats like Sapp--26 tackles, 3 sacks.
Old 05-14-2007   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

so is Mario the official Texans punching bag now that Carr is gone? did i miss the memo? Mario played hurt last year and still managed to hold his own while not further injuring himself. that is a good omen imho for this upcoming season. he is reportedly 100% and feels great. Let's give the guy a chance....he isn't ever going to be VY or RB...deal with it...

the guy (Mario) played under a mountain of pressure last year and I think he may be able to release some of that pressure with a good 2007 season. I would like to see him shoot for around 20 tackles-for-loss. Maybe make about 11 of them sacks. That would be the type of season that would silence the critics and convert the haters. keep your head up and show some heart Mario.
Old 05-14-2007   #15
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
so is Mario the official Texans punching bag now that Carr is gone? did i miss the memo? Mario played hurt last year and still managed to hold his own while not further injuring himself. that is a good omen imho for this upcoming season. he is reportedly 100% and feels great. Let's give the guy a chance....he isn't ever going to be VY or RB...deal with it...

the guy (Mario) played under a mountain of pressure last year and I think he may be able to release some of that pressure with a good 2007 season. I would like to see him shoot for around 20 tackles-for-loss. Maybe make about 11 of them sacks. That would be the type of season that would silence the critics and convert the haters. keep your head up and show some heart Mario.

I nominate Travis Johnson as the new Texans punching bag....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #16
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

I for one am concerned that Mario could be the new whipping boy for disgruntled fans if he doesn’t have an amazing season.

Yes Mario does need to play like a #1 pick, but if he only plays ok, and he gets dumped on like Carr was, will he have the resiliency and class that Carr showed when he was the whipping boy or will he cave under the pressure.

If we absolutely have to blame anyone, can we still blame Casserley and Capers.
Old 05-14-2007   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I would like to see him shoot for around 20 tackles-for-loss. Maybe make about 11 of them sacks.
FYI--sacks (QB behind LOS) are not generally included within TFL or stuffs (other ball carrier behind LOS).
Old 05-14-2007   #18
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
I for one am concerned that Mario could be the new whipping boy for disgruntled fans if he doesn’t have an amazing season.

Yes Mario does need to play like a #1 pick, but if he only plays ok, and he gets dumped on like Carr was, will he have the resiliency and class that Carr showed when he was the whipping boy or will he cave under the pressure.

If we absolutely have to blame anyone, can we still blame Casserley and Capers.
I could trip over my own foot walking down the stairs and I would have no problem blaming Charley Casserly.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye has shown in the Senior Bowl that he is at least better than Bunkley as of now, but it is obviously unclear whether he'll be anywhere close to Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp of old.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Okoye has shown in the Senior Bowl that he is at least better than Bunkley as of now, but it is obviously unclear whether he'll be anywhere close to Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp of old.
Man, if we had a Tommie Harris and a younger version...

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read