Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What if...

Mario, Okoye combine for 12 sacks
Spencer returns and becomes a starter at some point this season and Black
solidifies LT until then
Schaub is sacked "only" 32 times.
Jacoby is the real deal & becomes a solid #2
Green has a 1,000 yd season
Dayne continues where he left off and remains healthy
Linebackers play just to their potential
We find we have a solid # 2 CB on the team
Mathis returns to form as a returner and has good but not even a pro bowl year & then actually catches 10 -15 passes.

All this is possible and makes me giddy.
Old 05-10-2007   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are LONG overdue for the "what ifs" to go our way.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mario and Okoye combine for 12 sacks, it will be a disappointment. Mario needs to have at least 10 sacks to not have the bust label written on him. If they combine for 16-18 sacks, then I'll be giddy.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #4
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

amobi - 3-4 sacks
mario - 8-14 sacks

and ill be happy with combines 12 sacks... but more would be nice
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

12 combined sacks is not acceptable. Mario went number 1, is not a rookie anymore, supposedly his toes are fine, he better get close to 12 by himself. Okoye, as a DT, should get around 4.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Only 18 guys got 10 or more sacks last year. 21 guys had between 7 and 9.5 sacks. link

If both of our guys can make either one of those lists I would be happy. Looking at that list DT is by far the least likely to get 10 or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #7
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Shammy down only 32 times is a good "what if"?

That would still be a huge number for most O-lines.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2007   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post

Wrong again scooter. 32 is mid pack to bottom upper third (in a good way) most years for sacks allowed.
Old 05-10-2007   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wrong again scooter. 32 is mid pack to bottom upper third (in a good way) most years for sacks allowed.

hey now, dont liken me to someone with vince young in their sig.
Old 05-10-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post

No, that's about average.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #11
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice if Mario & Amobi would rack up more than 12 sacks, more like 15- 17 range, maybe wishfull thinking on my part. Who knows, maybe Babs might become a 8-10 sack guy, or T.J. will finally live up to his potential & wreck hovac! Or.....maybe I will take a nap now.
Old 05-11-2007   #12
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

my guess is around 8 to 12 for mario, 4 to 7 for okoye, 5 to 8 for babin, the rest combined for 7 to 10 more. what would be really great is for our sacks allowed total to be near or less than our sacks given. then we will be doin somethin.
Old 05-11-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mario doesn't hit double digits this year, consider his season a definite disappointment. Stats aren't as important in football as baseball (I'm thankful for that), but they are nevertheless important.
10 sacks in an NFL season is averaging only slightly more than a sack every other game, and that should be the very low end of the expectation-range for the 2006 NFL Drafts numero uno now that he's completed his rookie season.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #14
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I could be wrong, but throughout the 25 plus years I've spent watching footbal, pass rushing in the NFL(AFL) has allways been a job that required players to rebuild their skill sets. more so than say defensive back, linebacker, etc. It allways seems to be the 2nd or 3rd year that defensive lineman begin to get all the moves and the timing down to where they can manipulate the guys on the other side of the ball enough to start to dominate. alot of these guys in college were awesome specimens, overshadowing their competition and accomplishing some amazing things, but then they get to the NFL and they face offensive lineman that are the cream of the crop usually, even in the NFL and they struggle a few years to hone the skills needed to move 320 pound supermen who have massive legs and quick footwork. I would guess that in college these defensive lineman could basicly overpower most of their competition so all the fancy moves of the NFL were not required. Now they find they have quite a ways to go to reach the greatness they enjoyed in college. just my 2cents.....
Old 05-11-2007   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
if HALF of those "what ifs" go our way i think a lot of people are going to be pretty stoked about this team. i would be. i agree with everybody that the dline needs to produce more though. with that said, i think our dline turns it up a BIG notch and becomes one of the more feared lines this year, especially if tj or babin really start to bring it.
This was my point KJ3.All "what if" are reachable not pipe dream goals. We could have a very positive year as fans and really enjoy a season. It has been a while for that, for me anyway. I agree with the above post that says Dline get better in 2nd year. Mario should do very well and 8 sacks by him would tie the most ever for Texans and 4 by Okoye is very reasonable. Do we want more? Duh. But these are solid steps forward and would indicate very good things in 2008. On paper it appears linebackers and the dline have been strengthened. This also benefits the offense knowing that if they give the ball up, it might not necessarily mean guaranteed points to other team. I am going to focus on #2 WR & #2 CB in training camp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read