Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-04-2007   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft to be moved to primetime?

there's some discussion of moving the first round of the draft to Friday during primetime. kinda like the NBA draft. that would be huge. it'd change the way the second round is drafted, too, as teams would have a lot more time to look over things.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

They would have to shorten the time for the picks because at 15 minutes it is too long. It took about 6 hours for the first round this year. That would put it into the early morning if they start at lets say 7:00 est.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, it is just right on weekend. Could shorten 1st day to 10 min.
Old 05-04-2007   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Personally, it is just right on weekend. Could shorten 1st day to 10 min.
totally agree.
Old 05-04-2007   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
there's some discussion of moving the first round of the draft to Friday during primetime. kinda like the NBA draft. that would be huge. it'd change the way the second round is drafted, too, as teams would have a lot more time to look over things.
i like the idea but it would have to be 10 minutes per pick. i do think it would make great prime time theatre though. the problem is that it would last 5-6 hours....maybe a 7pm eastern start would work...maybe

but could you imagine how drunk and beligerent Jets fan would be after a night of drinking? they would have to have a chainlink fence in front of Goodell. it would be ugly.

another problem is that ESPN handles the draft AND NBA playoff basketball. Do they want to counterprogram against themeselves or partners (TNT, NBA TV)? doubtful. What would really suck is if the NFL Network had exclusive rights to the draft. Then a lot of us would be in trouble or having breakfast at our local sports bar come draft day.
Old 05-04-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Yeah cause an event that would run from 7 pm to 1:18 am would be a great idea.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted to write a letter to Goodell requesting that the draft be moved around the country every year, but he and anyone else in the NFL office are not easily contacted by email.

I believe a rotating basis it would generate even more interest in the host city...perhaps even making it a bigger event than it already is.

Maybe the team selecting first could host? Perhaps a lottery type selection between East Coast, West Coast, and Gulf Coast teams?

I'm sick of seeing Jets and Giants fans having the most fun on draft day...spread the love NFL!
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2007   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I wanted to write a letter to Goodell requesting that the draft be moved around the country every year, but he and anyone else in the NFL office are not easily contacted by email.

I believe a rotating basis it would generate even more interest in the host city...perhaps even making it a bigger event than it already is.

Maybe the team selecting first could host? Perhaps a lottery type selection between East Coast, West Coast, and Gulf Coast teams?

I'm sick of seeing Jets and Giants fans having the most fun on draft day...spread the love NFL!
I agree to some degree but you have to plan this out more than just at seasons end, and trying to get everything moved and set-up. Staff and roadies have to be planned in advance. It is not like if it is held in New york that the media would say O'my gosh it is not in the media capital of the world I am not going and I am not going to cover it. This would give the rest of the country more chances to ...............

Booo everything associated with New York.
Old 05-07-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL considering a 3-day draft

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...4draft-ON.html

The NFL is considering expanding its annual player draft to a third day, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

The league has had discussions about moving the first round into prime time on a Friday, with the remaining six round rounds taking place over the following two days, McCarthy said in a telephone interview.

The draft, one of the NFL's most popular offseason events, is televised by the NFL Network and Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN and ESPN2. About 38 million viewers watched this year on the three networks, the NFL said, citing Neilsen Media Research.

Almost 5,000 fans attended this year's draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York, while another 15,000 visited an interactive theme park outside the theater, McCarthy said.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also said in an interview with the NFL Network on April 28, the opening day of this year's draft, that the league has also talked about moving the event to various cities around the country in an effort to bring the game to more fans.
Old 05-07-2007   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Wait - didn't the first round of the draft we just had last about a day and a half anyway?

"....league has also talked about moving the event to various cities around the country in an effort to bring the game to more fans."

I suggest start with the NFL cities first, as I think someone else suggested a while back in another thread.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #11
real

I heard about this...I also heard that they were considering moving it to prime time instead of starting it mid-day...

I really don't have an opinion on the matter...Doesn't really bother me one way or another, because I don't really just sit down and watch the draft anyways...
Old 05-07-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Moving it to primetime would cause less viewers to watch IMO. If the first round is 6 hours and if the draft starts at 6 or 7, it won't be over until midnight or 1 A.M. Who the hell i going to stay up that late just to hear the commisioner say "And the [insert team] select...."?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #13
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I might. It is a damn Friday night. Who goes to bed before 1 A.M. on Friday night?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think putting the 1st round on Friday night and making the picks 10 or 12 minutes each is an excellent idea. Lots of draft get togethers, knock the tough one out 1st and make it an even bigger event.
Old 05-07-2007   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

If they go to a 10 min per pick, which translates to 320 mins or a little over 5hrs and 20 mins if every team used every possible second. If they have the first pick start right at 7PM, that means that the first rounds ends at 12:20a.m at the latest. Thats not too bad really. Of course the problem ends up being those of thus that work on fridays and dont live on the east coast the draft would be way too early for us to watch. 7PM on the east=6 central, 5 mountain, and 4 West. That is really way too ealry for people on the westcoast to watch the draft.

I think we should just leave the draft where it is, but reduce the first round to 10 mins max.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #16
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I think so, too. Teams will adjust to the five minutes lost. That is almost three hours gone from the draft if teams do that (I think).
Old 05-07-2007   #17
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

its 5 damn minutes. Its not like the teams have had all year to evaluate and assess talents, and you know, create a draft board or something.

Is 5 more minutes of thinking about it going to make all that much difference?
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #18
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
its 5 damn minutes. Its not like the teams have had all year to evaluate and assess talents, and you know, create a draft board or something.

They might make better decision if they didn't have those five extra minutes.
Old 05-07-2007   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post

Exactly.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #20
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I would much rather have a watch party on a friday night instead of getting up on a Saturday morning. Especially when I'm hungover and only been asleep for 6 hours like this past one.

(although I did fall asleep inbetween Texans picks...don't ask how but I witnessed them all, either waking up during their time slot or just a few right before. I would have missed their 4th rounder though if they hadn't traded down.)

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read