Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default I think we have a great shot at upsetting the Chiefs on opening day!!!

Opening the season we're playing the Chiefs at home. Casual observers dismiss this game as a playoff team vs one of the AFC cellar teams. However, a closer look at this matchup makes it a lot closer than one might think....

For starters, Will Shields just retired and Casey Wiegmann is contemplating doing the same. Also, their RT is suspended for this game and I-65 is now a Texan. This will give us a great opportunity to break in our new improved d-line and see Amobi and Mario reek havoc on the Chiefs offense.

On the defensive side of the ball, their best player, Jared Allen is suspended for this game. This is huge for us and will take a lot of pressure off our o-line for their first game together protecting Schaub. Not having Jared Allen on the Chiefs d-line will more than likely give Schaub the extra fraction of a second necessary to make the right read and deliver the ball.

On special teams, we no longer have to worry about Dante Hall since he was traded to the Rams. This will definately help us win the battle of field position imo.

This is the perfect first game for us this season. We wont be at our best because we'll still be getting used to all the new faces but the Chiefs are in such a turnover that even though we wont be at our best we should still be able to beat them barring any unforeseen injuries during preseason/tc. If/when we beat the Chiefs the national media will have to take notice of the fact that the Texans just beat a playoff team from the year before and aren't the laughing stock of the league anymore!!!
Old 05-05-2007   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

First game is three or four months away, but I like this game already. I think the Texans will be helped out this year by problems in Kansas City, Tennessee, and Jacksonville.
Old 05-05-2007   #3
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Opening the season we're playing the Chiefs at home. Casual observers dismiss this game as a playoff team vs one of the AFC cellar teams. However, a closer look at this matchup makes it a lot closer than one might think....

For starters, Will Shields just retired and Casey Wiegmann is contemplating doing the same. Also, their RT is suspended for this game and I-65 is now a Texan. This will give us a great opportunity to break in our new improved d-line and see Amobi and Mario reek havoc on the Chiefs offense.

On the defensive side of the ball, their best player, Jared Allen is suspended for this game. This is huge for us and will take a lot of pressure off our o-line for their first game together protecting Schaub. Not having Jared Allen on the Chiefs d-line will more than likely give Schaub the extra fraction of a second necessary to make the right read and deliver the ball.

On special teams, we no longer have to worry about Dante Hall since he was traded to the Rams. This will definately help us win the battle of field position imo.

This is the perfect first game for us this season. We wont be at our best because we'll still be getting used to all the new faces but the Chiefs are in such a turnover that even though we wont be at our best we should still be able to beat them barring any unforeseen injuries during preseason/tc. If/when we beat the Chiefs the national media will have to take notice of the fact that the Texans just beat a playoff team from the year before and aren't the laughing stock of the league anymore!!!
I am also hearing that Larry Johnson could hold out for a new contract. Who else do they have at RB?
Old 05-05-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we have a great shot at upsetting the Chiefs on opening day!!!
I like the optimistic outlook!

We won the first game of the season our first two years, so we know it's possible. I think our defense has the potential to be really tough, but it just depends on how quick they can gel. And even though we haven't seen a down of football with our new offense, I feel good about our chances for success.
Old 05-05-2007   #5
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

You forgot to mention that their starter at QB (assuming Trent Green goes somewhere) is Brody Croyle, an uproven 2nd year QB. For me, I like our chance A LOT more if he's starting his 1st career game in the NFL ever. Things are looking good for this game, but in reality you know the Chiefs are saying the same thing we are.
Old 05-05-2007   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
You forgot to mention that their starter at QB (assuming Trent Green goes somewhere) is Brody Croyle, an uproven 2nd year QB. For me, I like our chance A LOT more if he's starting his 1st career game in the NFL ever. Things are looking good for this game, but in reality you know the Chiefs are saying the same thing we are.
I thought Huard just signed a lucrative extension and they were gonna battle it out in training camp?
Old 05-05-2007   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Huard just signed a lucrative extension and they were gonna battle it out in training camp?
Yeah Huard just signed an extension last year. My bet is on Huard starting next year's first game and Croyle supplanting him at some point. Huard just doesn't have Journeymany QB who needs to find a home Ala Rich Gannon.

You also forgot to mention Willie Roaf Retiring and Turley's status is up in the air. LJ's season lat year allows him to void out the reaminder of his contract. Kind of curious to see if KC shells out the cash for a franchise player.

Vermeil loved veteran players and knows personnel well. IMO though the drafting the past few years has been suspect and Herm is going to spend next year turning the roster over. Big question as well that no one is talking about. What is Priest Holmes status?! Is Gonzales signed long term yet as well?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2007   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not think a Texans' win over the Chiefs at home is an upset even if they had Green and Allen in uniform. 12-4 next year.

Is Herm Edwards all hot air or what? His schtick appears to have shelf life of a half season.
Old 05-05-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I do not think a Texans' win over the Chiefs at home is an upset even if they had Green and Allen in uniform.
I fully expect us to be slightly favored. I dunno, maybe from 1 - 3 points ?
Afterall, its the season opener and we've got Home Field.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure what we have got for this season and how fast our youngins will figure stuff out, but just as an observation....

Last year the Texans started the season facing the teeth of the NFC East. Generally, if you have a conference known for power football facing an organization that plays more of a finesse style, the finesse guys are going to get killed if they really aren't comfortable with their system yet.
Old 05-05-2007   #11
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Thats what seems to be everyones thought, but I keep seeing more and more signs pointing to Croyle getting the start. Found this on KFFL this afternoon:

Quote:
Chiefs | Green feels Croyle will be starting quarterback
Sat, 5 May 2007 09:15:25 -0700

Harvey Fialkov, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports Kansas City Chiefs QB Trent Green told a local radio station that he expects QB Brodie Croyle to be the team's starting quarterback, even though Green was told by head coach Herman Edwards he would compete for the starting job. Green reiterated he would like to play for the Miami Dolphins. "It seems heavily weighted toward Brodie," Green said. "It's just not the way I want to finish my career...The best chance and best opportunity for me is Miami. Hopefully, they'll get that done."
Old 05-05-2007   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Brody Croyle never really did much for me as the Bama QB. He seems to be an injury waiting to happen too..not sure he will be much more than Gifford Nielson on the pro level....not that there's anything wrong with that. Pure pocket guy only.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #13
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're about to beat a bunch of teams the NFL pundits don't think we'll win. I think the fans in Tennessee should humble themselves immediately, because they downgraded heavily during an offseason in which we fixed our #1 hole....depth.

Assuming our players can stay relatively healthy this season, we're about to go for 9 wins.

Mario's going to shut some critics up too. I saw flashes of brilliance before that foot slowed him down. Remember Eli Manning rolling up as Mario crushed him? I'll never forget. We'll be seeing a lot of that.

I really stoked about the Amobi Okoye pickup, I'm interested to see Jacoby Jones and how he develops, how Kevin Walter handles the #2 slot. I thought he was very reliable last season and wondered why we didn't see more of him. Treat every down like third down and get him the ball when he's there. Guy won't drop it.

I loved the Fred Bennett pick. Tremendous fourth round value. I feel that he'll be our starting CB opposite Dunta by game 2 of the preseason and they'll be heads and shoulders above what we saw last year.

I really want to see John Abbate make this team and become a rallying point for our fans. I remember watching Dallas games back in the day and they had the special teams guy Kenny "the shark" Gant who'd work the crowd into a lather on kickoffs, haul ass down the field and then crack some helmets. I want Abbate to be that guy.

Can we beat KC in week one?

Does this banana whip it good?

Hell yeah.
Old 05-06-2007   #14
bayshorebevo
Veteran

The NFL week 1 lines came out last week at the Las Vegas Hilton. KC was installed as a 1 point favorite. That makes the game as close as it can get to a pickem.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #15
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

yeah but what about the breakdown of the week 15 game against the broncos its never to earlyto break it down.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It's way too early to make predictions, IMO.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
It's way too early to make predictions, IMO.
Too early to make a prediction about Week 1? No way. Just like it has been stated before, the Chiefs have lost a lot of power this off-season. Considering it is a home game and factoring in our own acquisitions so far, it isn't too terrible of a thing to start talking about winning our opening game.
Old 05-06-2007   #18
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im with you with an important codicil.....i think we win if we manage to maintain our health through training camp. I think our team is very much the house of cards, and one bad injury could tank our season.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #19
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

man i bet some of you guys already have the 2008 mock draft set as well. lets get to preseason first and see how things look and then go from there.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329810 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Im with you with an important codicil.....i think we win if we manage to maintain our health through training camp. I think our team is very much the house of cards, and one bad injury could tank our season.
And one non-injury--Spencer--could make a huge difference as a step forward. Like most predictions, we'll see once the game plays out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read