Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2007   #1
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Just a Heads Up to those who haven't seen these

Today on the official Houston Texans website, they have a great Q&A with Demeco Ryans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Also Texan Chick has a wonderful heartfelt video of our UDFA acquisition John Abbate. Take some tissues, I don't shed a tear often but if you can keep a dry eye on this one you're dead

http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/blog...anie-stradley/
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

What's neat about the Abbate link is the College Eye for the NFL Guy segment. AOL used its college guys to talk about pro prospects and say a little something different than that scouts do and I linked to the Abbate one. So there is a link to that, and also to Abbate's pro day. (In the video, he alludes to his hamstring problem he had prior to running his 40--obviously if he knew he would have those struggles, he likely wouldn't have come out early.)

It would be neat if he could make the team--he seems kind of like the David Anderson type of player that Kubiak likes to push guys during practice. Not great measurables but love to play the game.
Old 05-03-2007   #3
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I have seen and heard he reminds me of a Teddy Brushki, Bill Bates type of player.

May not be the fastest, but always seems to be where the action is.

I would love to see him make the team.
Old 05-03-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
From what I have seen and heard he reminds me of a Teddy Brushki, Bill Bates type of player.

May not be the fastest, but always seems to be where the action is.

I would love to see him make the team.
I fully expected him to get picked up by the Pats. I also saw them taking Posluzny with their 2nd pick....both seem like patriot lb's to me.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

You got to root for a guy like that, hope he does well.
Old 05-06-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out this link:

Great Story About Jon Abbate

Quote:
Being undersized has been somewhat of a drawback for Abbate throughout his entire career, but at the same time he has been a productive player, something teams must take into consideration.

If a team looks at the player and not his size they will find out just how much fight is in this dog.

'No negatives'

Wake Forest linebacker coach Brad Lambert believes in the linebacker's ability to play at the next level and spoke volume about his star pupil.

"Jon is a highly motivated player," Lambert said. "He made a lot of plays for us and is very instinctive. He sees things that not a lot of guys see. He's an extremely hard-working kid and a joy to be around.

" I think given the right opportunity he will do well in the NFL. His size has never been an issue for us. I don't see any negatives with the guy."

Lambert would be the one to know. He coached at the University of Georgia for five years before coming to Wake Forest and several of the linebackers he coached, Tony Gilbert, Boss Bailey, Kendrell Bell, Will Witherspoon, are currently holding roster spots in the NFL.

Lambert said that Abbate is right up there with them.

Abbate has drawn comparison to the likes of Sam Mills, Jesse Tuggle, Zack Thomas and Gary Brackett who are all considered undersized by NFL standards.

The hamstring

When it comes to the lingering hamstring pull, Abbate could be his own worst enemy by not allowing the hamstring time to heal.

According to coach Lambert, Abbate is so intense and passionate about playing football that it was hard to keep the player off the field. He said that Abbate is the type of player who will try and play through an injury rather than miss time on the field.

That's the reason he was less than a 100 perecent at the combine and pulled up short around the 37 yard-line during the 40-yard dash at the school's pro day.

The coach admitted that he almost had to tie the linebacker down in order to keep him off the field when he was injured.

Based on sheer talent alone, Abbate could have easily been a first-day selection, but the hamstring injury subsequently has caused his stock to take a nosedive.

"Jon has to let his leg heal up and run well. Get into camp and show a team what he's all about because he is a good football player," coach Lambert said.

So, Big Jon... Chill baby, let it heal.

Despite not being able to perform up to his expectations, Abbate is drawing interest from a number of teams that include the Bengals, Ravens, Jaguars, Titans and Chiefs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read