Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2007   #1
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jared Zabransky signing

Ok, I would like to know why the Texans went out and signed this guy. Now granted he had a hell of a bowl game, but are the Texans thinking he will be the #2 guy? If that is so, I assume that the staff doesn't think Sage is the guy to be the #2 man, which is a shame, he would be a good backup in case things go bad for Matt Schaub.
So that will give us 3 backup QB's. Someone will have to go. Who will it be? Sage or Bradlee Van Pelt? Unless the team is trying to package a few guys, I don't see the reason for it, but Kubiak and co. must think something of Jared to go after him.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Ok, I would like to know why the Texans went out and signed this guy. Now granted he had a hell of a bowl game, but are the Texans thinking he will be the #2 guy? If that is so, I assume that the staff doesn't think Sage is the guy to be the #2 man, which is a shame, he would be a good backup in case things go bad for Matt Schaub.
So that will give us 3 backup QB's. Someone will have to go. Who will it be? Sage or Bradlee Van Pelt? Unless the team is trying to package a few guys, I don't see the reason for it, but Kubiak and co. must think something of Jared to go after him.
What if Kubiak was able to develop him over the next few years, and then trade him for, let's say, two second round draft picks. I am sure you would agree that would be a great return on investment.

Also, as we have seen over the last few years, quarterbacks tend to get injured, so you need to have several of them, preferably three, and access to four just in case. Zabransky will be eligible for the practice squad his first year, so they could potentially keep both Zabransky and Pelt, at least for a while.

We should also keep in mind that Schuab has never been a starter before, and as excited as everyone is about him, there is always a possibility he does not work out.

This should be a fun project for both him and the fans. And, you just never know - the guy might just end up playing.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Zabransky joins an organization in transition at the quarterback position. The Texans traded for Matt Schaub, the former Atlanta Falcons backup, to fill the starting spot.
Behind Schaub is the non-descript trio of Sage Rosenfels, Bradlee Van Pelt and Quinton Porter. Porter plays in NFL Europa.The Texans depth chart is one reason Zabransky chose them over the New York Giants, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Dallas, New Orleans and Detroit. He talked to all of those teams after the draft, he said.
Zabransky visited the Texans in mid-April.
"It was the best situation for me," he said. " I felt this was a good opportunity for me to come in and get a No. 3 spot right away and make a team and go from there."
http://www.idahostatesman.com/273/story/81951.html
Here's an informative article from Zabranshys home town paper in Boise.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also dont forget with our lack of quality WR's and RB's and his speed and athletic ability, he could latch on as a back-up for those positions and be the 3rd RB. This lets you have 3 QB's and depth at other positions.
Old 05-01-2007   #5
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Also dont forget with our lack of quality WR's and RB's and his speed and athletic ability, he could latch on as a back-up for those positions and be the 3rd RB. This lets you have 3 QB's and depth at other positions.
Didn't he go in motion as a receiver in the Fiesta Bowl?

One thing is for sure, he can play under pressure. When he threw that last interception for a touchdown I thought the game was over. He lead them back.
I have never seen a team execute so many trick plays so well in one game.

-Twitch
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

He's not here as a #2 QB. The other options mentioned above, I imagine, are open. But he's signing my NCAA 2008 game at training camp!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Watching Quinn plummet through the first round should have been a good indication that this was a bad year for QBs coming out. So many teams answered their starter question Last year, and in this offseason, that nobody really needed a QB. Not at the expense of other positions...

JZ being undrafted, in my mind isn't a bad thing.

Now I like Sage, and I like Van Pelt, but IMHO they're getting a little long in the tooth for back-up QBs. I think Sage can be a starter, but things just haven't gone his way. in a couple of years, he'll be too old for teams to pick him up as a back-up with no real success on his resume. You know a 30 year old back-up is usually a guy who has had some kind of success as a starter... Charlie Batch, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, etc...

Now, I'm behind Schaub 100%, and I want him to succeed something aweful. but I'm confident that our season won't be a wash if Sage has to play. Hopefully JZ can be that guy for us next year.. or the year after, and Sage can find a team that will let him compete for the starting job. Like Carolina or something.
Old 05-01-2007   #8
red_dirt
Rookie

I wasn't really impressed with this guy, but I did see him on a qb challenge thing on espn awhile back, he has arm strength. Where did Chris Leak go?
red_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #9
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_dirt View Post
I wasn't really impressed with this guy, but I did see him on a qb challenge thing on espn awhile back, he has arm strength. Where did Chris Leak go?
Leak went to Chicago.
Old 05-01-2007   #10
red_dirt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Leak went to Chicago.
Thanks man, I haven't been able to find anything on him. Was he a FA or late round draft pick?
Old 05-01-2007   #11
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks man, I haven't been able to find anything on him. Was he a FA or late round draft pick?
He was an FA.
link
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #12
red_dirt
Rookie

Thanks, I was looking at him to be a wise FA pickup, I saw alot of leadership from him in that bowl game. He probably won't work out in the NFL, but you never know.
Old 05-01-2007   #13
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
For the short term, Zabransky is being brought in to be an extra arm in training camp. If he shows well there, he could beat out Van Pelt and Porter to be the #3 QB. Personally, I like the Z-man. I think he brings alot to the table. He has good size and speed for a QB, and he also has alot of the intangibles you look for in a QB. This kid is a winner. He doesn't like losing, and he has the confidence to say that when the game is on the line, he wants the ball in his hands. He has good pocket presence, and is a very smart kid that I think can learn and run the WHOLE playbook.
Old 05-01-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I was looking at Z and was thinking would it be out of the realm of possibility that he turns into a player like Atwaan Randel-El. Meaning I wonder if he would be open to the possibilities of being more than just a QB?
Old 05-01-2007   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this signing. He is probably gonna play a couple positions. He will make the team if he shows that versatility.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #16
real

I'm thinking the Texans don't have any real plans for Zabransky....I think that their main goal with most of these free agent signings wasn't neccessarily to bring in guys with chances of contributing as much as it was just to bring in guys with a competitive nature and some edge to them just to increase the overall competition at camp....I'm not saying Zabransky won't make the team, but I just doubt that the Texans neccessarily think of this guy as a possible contributor...
Old 05-01-2007   #17
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

If he makes the practice roster, this year, it's gravy. I mean, it's not like we gave up any picks to get him. Send him over to Europa, see what he does and give him some seasoning, and maybe he'll be ready to back someone up in a couple of years. Anything more is unreasonable and unrealistic, in my view. Otherwise, wouldn't we have drafted him?
Old 05-01-2007   #18
red_dirt
Rookie

Good point, he can work through europe and maybe be somebody in a few years. I'm not used to this minor league thing yet.
Old 05-01-2007   #19
hadaad
All Pro

Quote:
Good point, he can work through europe and maybe be somebody in a few years. I'm not used to this minor league thing yet.
I'm used to the NHL where draft day isn't generally a big deal because you won't see these guys for two or three years unless they're someone really special.
Old 05-01-2007   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all about making play baby!

I'd like to pull for him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read