Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2007   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is where Rick Smith shines - UDA's

If you haven't had a chance to see the list of UDA's check it out.... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4761678.html

JZ grabs the headline, but look for 2 players on this list to make our final roster.

1.) Enoka Lucas - Strong, athletic and smart. Much more so than Drew Hodgdon. He makes the roster this year as a backup possibly making Flanagan expendable.

2.) John Abatte - Look up football player on Wikipedia and there is a picture of this guy. Not really, but all the intangibles are there. He should make the roster as a replacement for Troy Evans. Will be a special teams stalwort for years to come.

JZ, Onrea Jones and Brandon Mitchell have a good chance at making the practice squad.

This is the area where Rick Smith and his staff are going to shine and build the core of this team.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

OH man..... I love Zabransky.

Someone explain to me how this practice squad thing works again.... If we put Zabransky on the practice squad, would other teams be able to sign him??

I'm not ready to have a Schaub, Rosenfels, & Zabransky as our depth... I'd rather hold onto Van Pelt for another year at least.

Now Plummer, Sage & Zabransky, I could have gone for that.
Old 04-30-2007   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

1.) Enoka Lucas - Strong, athletic and smart. Much more so than Drew Hodgdon. He makes the roster this year as a backup possibly making Flanagan expendable.
It would be better for us, if we don't see Lucas at all this year. If he's as you say he is, then Kubiak will take his time with him on the practice squad this year, ease him into the line-up next year, and he'll anchor the position for 10 years to come.
Old 04-30-2007   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

brandon mitchell has a decent shot at being a backup FS at least....

plus the punter looks to have a decent shot also

and TK- yeah other teams could sign him but they'd have to give him a 53 man roster place
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #5
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Someone explain to me how this practice squad thing works again.... If we put Zabransky on the practice squad, would other teams be able to sign him??

I'm not ready to have a Schaub, Rosenfels, & Zabransky as our depth... I'd rather hold onto Van Pelt for another year at least.

Can't you send a player to NFL Europe and retain his rights?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #6
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

TK! Glad to see you finally made over here man... I left you a PM on the HT boards because I hadn't seen you here, and didn't know if you knew what was going on here.
I left PMs for 7 people, and in the last 5 days none of them has even been read... man the PM system on the software is horrible.

(*edit* I just went and looked at my outgoing PMs on the other board and saw that the one I sent you had been viewed once. Did you read it?)

To answer your question about the practice squad, another team can sign one of our PS guys, but they have to put him on their active roster, and if I'm not mistaken, they must keep him on it for the entire year.

Last edited by michaelm; 04-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Two years ago, the Jaguars tried to sign Kenneth Pettway from our practice squad and he denied the opportunity. We did play him eventually, though I'm sure he's long gone.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2007   #8
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Sign Leonard Peters And Ramonce Taylor Please
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #9
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Two years ago, the Jaguars tried to sign Kenneth Pettway from our practice squad and he denied the opportunity. We did play him eventually, though I'm sure he's long gone.
lol guess where he plays now . . .

Anyways, Im a big fan of Cory Anderson getting picked up as a UDFA. This guy is a powerful blocker and can catch out of the backfield. The complaint about him is that he isn't much of a runner. In other words, he fits our mold at FB perfectly.
Old 04-30-2007   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
To answer your question about the practice squad, another team can sign one of our PS guys, but they have to put him on their active roster, and if I'm not mistaken, they must keep him on it for the entire year.
They do have to put the player on the 53 man roster. But, he is only guaranteed 3 weeks on the roster. If released after the 3 weeks, the player is on waivers. Once cleared, he can choose to sign with any team's practice squad.

I agree that this is a fantastic group of undrafted free agents. Zabransky is a good fit for this offense. And he'll be running the scout team offense, which will help simulate the faster QBs the Texans will face this season. Deljuan Robinson is actually a 295 lb DT, who had open heart surgery before entering college. Really stepped up his game as a senior with 12.5 TFL. Derrick Roberson put up some freakish numbers in postseason workouts, and could push for a roster spot if he excels on special teams during the preseason.

Old 05-01-2007   #11
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Just noticed this about Wilbur, the Punter we're bringing in for a tryout:

Quote:
Became the first punter in school history to be named a semifinalist for the Ray Guy Award…Named to the Sporting News All-Freshman Team and was chosen as the Rivals.com Freshman All-American in 2004…Named to the SEC All-Freshman Team in 2004 (Coaches)…Named to the Knoxville-News Sentinel All-Freshman Team in 2004…Named to the 2005 SEC Coaches' Second Team Preseason All-SEC Team…

CAREER: Has seen action in 35 games…Reached over 5,000 career-yards punting in the Peach Bowl against Miami…
Old 05-01-2007   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Just noticed this about Wilbur, the Punter we're bringing in for a tryout:
Wilbur averaged 42.9 ypp for his career. Last season, he put 26 punts inside the 20, with only 3 touchbacks.

I want Wilbur to win the punting job for 2 reasons. One, Stanley has been a terrible punter the last two seasons. Two, I want to be able to yell "Willlllllburrrrrrr" everytime the punt team come out. Big Mr. Ed fan.
Old 05-01-2007   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Roberson and/or Jones and/or Richardson could all become the special teams stand-outs, esp. at gunner, some of us hoped Kendrik Starling would become.

DeGrate played OLB for two years, before moving to DE at Oklahoma State. Guy might have a little something when it comes to rushing the QB.

Mitchell reminds me alot of John Walker, low experience, good size, good numbers and practice squad material this year.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Wilbur averaged 42.9 ypp for his career. Last season, he put 26 punts inside the 20, with only 3 touchbacks.

I want Wilbur to win the punting job for 2 reasons. One, Stanley has been a terrible punter the last two seasons. Two, I want to be able to yell "Willlllllburrrrrrr" everytime the punt team come out. Big Mr. Ed fan.
LOL!

I like Stanley (loyalty), but the best man wins the job.
If Wilbur has a good showing, I will have to say sorry to Chad.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you all think about signing Gary Russell? HE was out of shape, but put him on the practice squad for a season, and then maybe to Europa and I think he could be pretty special.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
Sign Leonard Peters And Ramonce Taylor Please
Hell no to Ramonce Taylor. I don't want that thug on our team.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #17
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Hell no to Ramonce Taylor. I don't want that thug on our team.
typical ignorance from a texans fan

RT is done with drugs, and the bag wasnt even his in the first place
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maybe but when he had a chance, and showed up to his private session before UT's pro day fat and out-of-shpe it shows that there are reasons to still be concerned.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the bag wasnt even his in the first place
it never is...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How many chances did he have to clean his act up?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read