Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Concerns with Amobi Okoye

I said it once, and I'll say it again. A stud at DT is one of the most difficult positions to scout, draft, and develop. As a result, I am necessarily excited about Okoye's potential, while also being nervous about his potential failure.

Why? Because this team has a LOT of needs. And while DT is one of the chief needs of the team, we also have other team needs that would have been easier to scout and draft.

that being said, if Okoye lives up to the hype, this will be one of best picks in Texans history.

Here are my reasons for being nervous, and i'd love for someone to quell these fears:

1. Okoye is a one hit wonder -
Is it his age or was the draft money a factor? In his first 3 seasons, Okoye only totaled 66 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks. Thats 3 seasons combined stats.

In his last season he recorded 55 tackles, 15 for loss, and 8 sacks.

So which Okoye will show up for the Texans?

2. Pettrino chose Jamaal Anderson over Okoye -
Who knows Amobi Okoye better than his former coach, Bobby Pettrino of the Atlanta Falcons? No one. So why, if Atlanta needed Dl help, did he look towards Jamaal Anderson over Amobi Okoye? Sure the Falcons lost Kerney, but if great DLs are made from the inside out, why not take a guy he's familiar with?

3. Okoye has 3 key knocks that make me especially nervous on his scouting report
- He takes plays off
- He relies on athleticism and doesn't possess good pass rushing skills
- Is inconsisent in size and play

Anyway, all that being said, I think its clear that Okoye was by FAR the best DT in this draft, and I hope and pray he lives up to his potential. Because if he does, look out Tommie Harris
Old 04-30-2007   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 28439 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

My only concern is under-age drinking...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #3
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I said it once, and I'll say it again. A stud at DT is one of the most difficult positions to scout, draft, and develop. As a result, I am necessarily excited about Okoye's potential, while also being nervous about his potential failure.

Why? Because this team has a LOT of needs. And while DT is one of the chief needs of the team, we also have other team needs that would have been easier to scout and draft.

that being said, if Okoye lives up to the hype, this will be one of best picks in Texans history.

Here are my reasons for being nervous, and i'd love for someone to quell these fears:

1. Okoye is a one hit wonder -
Is it his age or was the draft money a factor? In his first 3 seasons, Okoye only totaled 66 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks. Thats 3 seasons combined stats.

In his last season he recorded 55 tackles, 15 for loss, and 8 sacks.

So which Okoye will show up for the Texans?

2. Pettrino chose Jamaal Anderson over Okoye -
Who knows Amobi Okoye better than his former coach, Bobby Pettrino of the Atlanta Falcons? No one. So why, if Atlanta needed Dl help, did he look towards Jamaal Anderson over Amobi Okoye? Sure the Falcons lost Kerney, but if great DLs are made from the inside out, why not take a guy he's familiar with?

3. Okoye has 3 key knocks that make me especially nervous on his scouting report
- He takes plays off
- He relies on athleticism and doesn't possess good pass rushing skills
- Is inconsisent in size and play

Anyway, all that being said, I think its clear that Okoye was by FAR the best DT in this draft, and I hope and pray he lives up to his potential. Because if he does, look out Tommie Harris

I say that if he keeps his weight within reason and develops more speed and upper body strength, he will be a prize.

The kid has smarts. Someone just needs to watch over him and give him consistent constructive coaching.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

He was 16 yrs old as a freshman. Did you expect him to dominate college football at that age? His junior year he was a 6'2" 317 lbs nose tackle who opened things up for Elvis Dumervil (who went on to have 20 sacks that season). Senior year he was asked to do more as a pass rusher so he slimmed down to around 290 where he had 55 tackles, 15 for loss, and 8 sacks.

Bobby Petrino chose Jamaal Anderson over Amobi Okoye because they already have a similar type of defensive tackle in Rod Coleman and had just cut Patrick Kerney.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #5
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
According to today's Chronicle, his older brother, who is all of 21, is going to "watch out for him." link
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #6
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
According to today's Chronicle, his older brother, who is all of 21, is going to "watch out for him." link
The Texans ought to hire the guy that "baby sat" Yao for the first couple of years to look out for our Jedi Knight.
Old 04-30-2007   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

steel blue took the words out of my mouth.. here are my explanations

1: his previous stats (before this year)...not great but come on he was a growing 16, 17 and 18 year old in those years- he def gets a half-pass here because of the uniqueness of his age..obviously it would take a while to dominate..he's still growing some but not like he was during those years..last year he started to get comfortable with his body and started excelling.. remember hes the equivalent of a sophmore/ young junior- is there a sophmore (or junior) DT in college right now as dominant as he was last year??

2:petrino passing on him- simple..atlanta has rod coleman and babineaux (both similiar in type to okoye) as well as grady jackson so they're pretty set at DT whereas the have no suitable DE to take over from Kerney and Anderson is a pretty good DE prospect also to say the least

3:knocks

taking plays off/inconsistency: they say this about nearly every d-line prospect... ever.. players have good and bad plays or plays that they dont really have a chance of being involved in... whats important is that they make alot of good plays and try to minimise the bad plays..i like this kid because he seems to have a desire and internal motivation to be the best- something TJ and, it must be said, Mario (albeit to a much lesser extent) dont seem to have

technique-haven't seen him much but obviously at 19 he's not a finished project and will hopefully be coached up to improve his moves and technique but he has some nice moves (especially a spin) and is less raw than mario was last year

Last edited by Maddict5; 04-30-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2007   #8
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

One question everyone:

Name one 19 year old that can come in and be Bruce Smith right off the bat?

Zilch.

Give him time and coaching..
Old 04-30-2007   #9
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Also DT stats can be VERY deceiving, which is one of the reasons why it is so hard to know what you have.

DT is not a position where you can stack up sacks and tackles. Like LB is.

I have a lot of faith in this guy, like Demeco said. A lot of DTs just like to sit there and draw the double. Amobi is athlethic enough to draw the double while putting the pressure on the QB.

Also, who knows what Mario will be able to do one-on-one 100% healthy. Not to mention this guy helps out Travis and Weaver. This Dline could be D line that NFL teams worry about.

Amobi Okoye
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good insights gtexan. Like everyone has stated, I think Okoye has so much potential.

I love the fact that he has his head on straight, he seems light years more mature than any other guys drafted. He's a smart kid, wants to learn, wants to achieve more and work his hardest. He has that desire.

*However, I don't expect him to come in and dominate next season. I would love for him to but I think both him and mario need a year or 2 to 'find themselves'. I do expect this to help Travis Johnson...he has had a slow start to his nfl career, to say the least...but at the same time, have we had anyone really pushing him!? I think mario and okoye will not only help each other out, but TJ as well...i may be just an optimistic fan saying...maybe this year will be the year TJ breaks out of his shell.

*I love his age, but at the same time it causes a concern. As stated before I love his maturity, will, and intelligence (not for his age...but his draft class.) however what concerns me is that he is still growing. I wonder how this growing, and metabolism change may effect his playing style, speed, weight, etc. i would love for him to put on some more lbs. but i dont want it to effect negatively his speed and quickness.

*COACHING- This is what scares me the most. We know first hand what bad coaching can do to a player. Apparently Carr had 0 coaching while here and was taught where to throw the ball for each play. We have the potential to have one of the best defensive lines in the entire nfl in 3 years after Mario, Amobi, Travis J., and Anthony W. have played together healthy. This won't happen if they have bad coaching though. Again these guys are 21, 20 years old and aren't experts. they are relying on the 'expert' coaches to tell them how to get better.

that's what i'm most concerned about. And I feel it's all on the Texans staff, not okoye. The team nutritionist could/should help with okoye's metabolism changes if any as he adjusts to the nfl and doing that 24/7, not school anymore..it's all business; and coaching- McNair needs to get the most knowledgable DL coach around in here because he's got about $100 million tied up in guaranteed money on that Dline.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #11
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Also DT stats can be VERY deceiving, which is one of the reasons why it is so hard to know what you have.

DT is not a position where you can stack up sacks and tackles. Like LB is.

I have a lot of faith in this guy, like Demeco said. A lot of DTs just like to sit there and draw the double. Amobi is athlethic enough to draw the double while putting the pressure on the QB.

Also, who knows what Mario will be able to do one-on-one 100% healthy. Not to mention this guy helps out Travis and Weaver. This Dline could be D line that NFL teams worry about.

Amobi Okoye
I was thinking the same thing. I remember watching an NFL Films clips a couple of years ago where Detroit was playing Tampa Bay. The clip showed Joey Harrington under center, eyes wide open and darting all over the LOS. You see in eyes he was worried about where the rush was coming from.

I can't wait too see that same look in the eyes of QBs playing against the Texans.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The year before, there were a couple of guys whom he played with:
DE Dumerville (Denver) and Stanley (Dallas)

Dumerville had 20 sacks in 2005.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just out of curiosity...why did Dumerville drop so far?
Old 04-30-2007   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
The Texans ought to hire the guy that "baby sat" Yao for the first couple of years to look out for our Jedi Knight.
Ideally, he'd have a trusted, level headed relative around like Dre Johnson has his uncle.
Old 04-30-2007   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Just out of curiosity...why did Dumerville drop so far?
5'11"; 250-258lbs

the usual "too small to play every down at DE"

Also, I found this:

Dumervil Awarded Nagurski Trophy
Tuesday December 06, 2005 10:34am

KATV Arkansas
(Sports Network) - University of Louisville senior defensive end Elvis Dumervil was named the 2005 Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner by The Football Writers Association of America and the Charlotte Touchdown Club Monday.

The award is presented annually to college football's national defensive player of the year.

"Individual awards are nice, but I think a lot of credit goes to everybody on our defense, Coach Petrino and our defensive coaches, Montavious Stanley and Amobi Okoye and our other guys up front getting great pressure up the middle," Dumervil said.

Dumervil leads the nation in sacks (20) and tackles for loss (23) and set a new NCAA record for forced fumbles in a single season with 10. He set an NCAA record for sacks in consecutive games with nine and set an NCAA record for sacks in a single game with six against Kentucky on Sept. 4.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can think of another guy that went to a losing team as a rookie DT. And Okoye reminds me alot of him(minus the belly). That team instantly became better. Warren Sapp - Bucs
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #17
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I can think of another guy that went to a losing team as a rookie DT. And Okoye reminds me alot of him(minus the belly). That team instantly became better. Warren Sapp - Bucs
I never wanted to say it, but they are pretty similar. Sapp makes any defense better.

Once Again...AMOBI OKOYE
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coleman ruptures right quadriceps in boating accident

snippet:

ATLANTA -- For the second time in a week, the Atlanta Falcons have lost a key defensive starter to an offseason injury that could sideline him several months. This time, it's standout tackle Rod Coleman, who suffered a ruptured right quadriceps that required surgery Monday.

The team's starting "under" tackle and a Pro Bowl-caliber defender, Coleman will likely miss the entire offseason training program and training camp and there is a chance he might not be completely rehabilitated by the start of the regular season.

The injury, which Coleman acknowledged to several teammates, occurred over the weekend in a boating accident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2854644
Old 05-01-2007   #19
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
snippet:

ATLANTA -- For the second time in a week, the Atlanta Falcons have lost a key defensive starter to an offseason injury that could sideline him several months. This time, it's standout tackle Rod Coleman, who suffered a ruptured right quadriceps that required surgery Monday.

The team's starting "under" tackle and a Pro Bowl-caliber defender, Coleman will likely miss the entire offseason training program and training camp and there is a chance he might not be completely rehabilitated by the start of the regular season.

The injury, which Coleman acknowledged to several teammates, occurred over the weekend in a boating accident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2854644
Wow I bet Pettrino wishes he could have Okoye back right now!

Although to be fair, I REALLY wanted J Anderson. But I'm liking the idea of Okoye more and more. What are the chances Okoye starts this season?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
LMAO...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read