Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:The Rabbit and The Fox

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/review/review65.html

Quote:
Personally, I've never found the terms "#1 Receiver" and "#2 Receiver" very appealing. A good passing offense utilitzes whatever receivers are at their disposal. In an age of multiple-receiver sets, I suppose it makes it easier to add "#3 Receiver", "#4 Receiver" and even "#5 Receiver" to the nomenclature and pecking order, but I find the terms rather dull and limited.

Having receivers with different skill sets has been around as a strategy for over 50 years, back to the time of split ends and flankers. The split end was often expected to be the faster of the two and took advantage of the one step head start of lining up right on the line of scrimmage. The flanker was the more versatile back who needed to stand one step behind the line.

The Oakland Raiders of the 1960s would feature speedster Warren Wells at the end and crafty Fred Biletnikoff as the flanker. After Wells lost a step, sprinter Cliff Branch took his place. The Houston Oilers of the 1970s used the same model with speedster Ken Burrough as the end and sneaky Mike Renfro as the flanker.
Quote:
Even without looking at the draft, the Texans have two options at wide receiver who give Kubiak a choice on what he should do with Johnson. If they use Kevin Walter as the Fox, then Johnson should be used as the Rabbit. I'd expect him to run more deep routes and less underneath stuff. If they use Jerome Mathis as the Rabbit, Andre can then be the Fox. Mathis can run the deep stuff while Johnson can get the short stuff and try to make yards after the catch.
So with Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones added to the mix it will be interesting because AJ can do both

Last edited by Wolf; 04-30-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought that the #2 receiver should be the speed guy. (Not sure if that's the rabbit or the fox.)

Usually the guy that gets downfield and catches the long bombs while WR1 is getting locked up.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
I've always thought that the #2 receiver should be the speed guy. (Not sure if that's the rabbit or the fox.)

Usually the guy that gets downfield and catches the long bombs while WR1 is getting locked up.
yes #2 would be the rabbit.. fast guy.. #1 would be the fox.. run the good routes and get YAC

If i read that right
Old 04-30-2007   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess Daniels is the Wolf.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

LOL I hope not, or he would be very slow LOL
Old 04-30-2007   #6
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post

Imagine back in the 90's when Givens, Jefferies, Duncan, and Hill caught the balls... Who was 1, 2, 3, 4, ..?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd have absolutely no problem going into the season with Andre, Kevin & Owen Daniels on the field for every play..... our starting lineup. I'd use those guys to stretch the field, and get the linebackers to back off the LOS, With Ahman Green, Bruener, & Wali Lundy taking all the underneath stuff.

Then you throw in David Anderson, Jerome Mathis, Edell Sheperd, & I believe our passing game would have been very productive anyway.

I say that to say if Jacoby Jones & Andre Davis cracks the starting line-up at any point in the season, things are very good for the Houston Texans.

What sucks though, is that I'll have to miss most of the games in September.
Old 04-30-2007   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Imagine back in the 90's when Givens, Jeffery's, Duncan, and Hill caught the balls... Who was 1, 2, 3, 4, ..?
If I had to take a guess at it I always felt it was Drew Hill, Earnest Givens, Hayward Jeffery's, and then Curtis Duncan.

Givens was our over the middle guy, kinda like what Don Beebe did for the Bills. Drew Hill had the speed, Jeffery's caught everything thrown at him and Duncan was our third down go to guy. I think there was one season when Duncan caught 80 balls, over 900 yards and no TD's.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

drew hill was my favorite
Old 05-01-2007   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it humorous to think of our old QB trying to make all those reads, lol. Then imagine he has to do it with no TE and no blocking back.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #11
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 48171 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I find it humorous to think of our old QB trying to make all those reads, lol. Then imagine he has to do it with no TE and no blocking back.
I could add ....and no offensive line....but I won't. ..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read