Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2007   #1
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Fox Sports gives our draft a C-

Quote:
HOUSTON TEXANS

Czar's breakdown: It's fair to include new quarterback Matt Schaub in this draft because they had to deal picks this year and next to Atlanta for him. I will say it again; they took the most impressive young man in this draft in Louisville's Amobi Okoye. Okoye, a potential Warren Sapp-like defensive tackle, won't turn 20 until June. He is the youngest player ever drafted, plus he has his college degree. However, the Texans appeared to reach on receiver Jacoby Jones of Lane College. Jones really went to college on a track scholarship (10.28 in 100 meters) and also played basketball. He averaged 13.8 yards a catch. Stanford safety Brandon Harrison has been favorably compared to Seattle's Michael Boulware. OT Brandon Frye only started 11 games at Virginia Tech and looks like a risky fifth-round pick.
Grade: C-

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6746812
it's fox sports. i still haven't been able to find any jacoby jones highlights.
Old 04-30-2007   #2
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Luckily the game of football is played on the football field. Stories like these are articles to hype the fans up. I like the Texans draft, as well as i'm sure the Texan brass liked the draft. That's all that matters.
Old 04-30-2007   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
it's fox sports. i still haven't been able to find any jacoby jones highlights.
The Texans get a C- and the Titans get a C. Can you say full of crap or talking out your arse ... maybe he needs to watch eSpinNews more so he knows what he is talking about.

Add to that Washington had a terrible draft by not addressing any needs what so ever.

Last edited by Specnatz; 04-30-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
i still haven't been able to find any jacoby jones highlights.
Yeah....the best film I've seen of him was run on Channel 2 last night.

C-? Whatever.....
Old 04-30-2007   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I concur somwhat with their comments.

Not having a second round pick limits them from the outset. You can't count Schaub as a draft choice because he wasn't. But we did give away two Day 1 picks to get him.

The Jones pick shows how desperate the Texans are at WR. It's a very risky pick for 73. Jones' bio sounds like he's not a Mathis in that he can actually run routes. We'll see. He could be boom or bust.

I'm good with Bennett, Frye, and Studdard. Don't have enough info on Harrison.

There's no way I could grade this draft above average but of course we'll have to wait to see who makes the team and what their impact is before we assign any real grade.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda agree with it. C+ to a B- is what I had thought.

I agree you can't count Schaub as our 2nd pick.

This kind of felt like the 2002 draft, not a lot our there and a severe drop in talent at all levels.

I noticed the Texans kept taking scrappy hard nosed kids in the later rounds. That could go a long way to shaping the attitude of our team. It was an OK draft. Not going to set the world on fire but not worth jumping off a ledge either.

This should be a clear signal to Mathis that he learns to play receiver or find a new team.

I am excited to to see our two OLinemen that we drafted and see what they can do.

Can't wait for August.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #7
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I too left with a feeling of somwhere around a C. It just wasnt really that exciting. WR is maybe something we can look at still in free agaency if there is any left.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2007   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Judging a draft the day after it happens is like estimating hurricane damage before it hits. It's usually wrong, but people do it anyway.

Let's see how we feel about things next January. Right now, I don't see but one, possibly two of the draftees from this weekend actually in the starting lineup. And I am not counting Schwab, because he isn't a draft choice, he is a trade.

Last year almost all of the draftees were starting or playing by the end of the season, and I'm counting Spencer who whould have been starting if he hadn't been injured. If that happens again this year, count ourselves very lucky, but I don't see it with this year's crop.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98612 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

A trade down for Hall in the first and maybe Jarrett in the 2nd would have been very nice!

Big upgrade on a D-Line filled with busts and overpaid flops, but the secondary is still Swiss Cheese like.

I said on the old board that the Texans should be banned from taking a D-lineman in the 1st for five years, but this could work out.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #10
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Given how well some of the "off the street" finds performed last year, I'm beginning to think that Kubiak and Smith prefer the scrappy/almost forgotten/seem to have little upside kind of player. They just might know what they are doing.

I'm going to hold off giving a real grade until I see these guys play, but from what I see a B- works.

I hope these rookies play like super stars and all of these sports gurus have to eat their words. I am tired of C's and D's and being the joke of the NFL. Enough is enough. The time has come for some A's and at least a .500 season.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

The grading of drafts the day after is one of the most moronic practices in the whole Draft coverage by the media. None of what is said today means anything, drafts should be graded next March at the earliest.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98612 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Kiper said we had one of the 3 worst drafts on Mike and Mike
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #13
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I give the Texans a B grade becuase it's not Cass & Comp. running the show. We address DT, CB, & SS, OT, WR, & G! Heck, every player drafted in the NFL esp. in the later rds has weakneses! I really like Bennet & Harisson (SS), a big, strong 227lbs. almost built like a LB! Slowly, Kubiak & Smith are making this team their own! I can't wait till FA's & Preseason to start!
Old 04-30-2007   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Not having a second round pick limits them from the outset. You can't count Schaub as a draft choice because he wasn't. But we did give away two Day 1 picks to get him.
Well, if we're going to be technical, instead of grading the draft, I'll grade what we got with our 2007 draft picks. That includes Schaub, and I give us a B+ for that, with potential to improve to an A after the season when the curve is adjusted... of course, there's also potential to be downgraded too, after the season, but I'm in a sunshine and white fluffy clouds kind of mood today...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #15
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The grading of drafts the day after is one of the most moronic practices in the whole Draft coverage by the media. None of what is said today means anything, drafts should be graded next March at the earliest.
So, by insinuation, we're morons too, for playing along?!?!?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Kiper said we had one of the 3 worst drafts on Mike and Mike
KIper is an *****, MCShay also said we had one of the 3 worst. I'm convinced nobody at ESPN watchs Texans football. Idiots...all of them.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #17
red_dirt
Rookie

2007 Texans draft....poop....flush...

Maybe they accidentally got another Demeco Ryans, otherwise.....

Hey, at least we'll have a young d-line, that should help keep the Colts from running the score up too much.

My grade is D-
red_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #18
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30558 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny how they also have the Texans Helmet with the Tennessee Titans...

Grade: B-

TENNESSEE TITANS

Czar's breakdown: ......

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6746812
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Needs going into Draft - CB, S, C, DT, WR

Positions drafted - DT, WR, CB, S, OG, OG, LB

If our scouts are doing their job and the coaches develop these folks then this draft at worst, in three years, will be a B in my opinion. Half the battle is appropriately identifying, scouting and executing to your need. The other is development.
Old 04-30-2007   #20
red_dirt
Rookie

you forgot OL, RB, QB.
red_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read