Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Grade the draft
A 7 8.64%
B 48 59.26%
C 19 23.46%
D 6 7.41%
F 0 0%
I do not know ,what is this draft? 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2007   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Post draft poll

So what grade would you give this years draft?
I am going with a solid B+
I am also putting Schaub as the Texans 2nd round pick.
Old 04-29-2007   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I hope somebody chooses the last option.

I'd have to agree with the B+ pick. We filled in as many holes as we could (even though I didn't think they were filled in the right order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say a B I love the first two picks, of Okoye and Jones. Bennett and Harrison will contribute if nothing else, special teams; but I do not know when they will help at there selected positions.

The rest I am in a wait and see mode until at least mid way through training camp.

Old 04-29-2007   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

shoot....I voted A, and I'm the only one so far! Amobi heavily influences my grade of course.

One step at a time and this years draft was a very good step. We'll pick up the stud LT or C soon and the stud safety as well.

Go Texans!
Old 04-29-2007   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I age it a D. IMO, they picked up a great DT, but then they picked up another #3 wide receiver, a few "projects," and a guy or two that makes no sense to me (Studdard). What is going through the Texans' head is just not clear to me.
Old 04-29-2007   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

A. i was blissfully ignorant of most of the players in this year's draft so i know very little of the guys we picked, but by looking at positional drafting i think we did extremely well hitting our weak areas hardest (DT, 2 OL, 2 DB, LB, WR). a perfect draft for me would've been a trade down in the first round, but you cant expect that to happen.
Old 04-29-2007   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing as how we can't judge the players yet, I'll give the draft an A, seeing as how every need was somehow adressed.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2007   #8
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave it an A - but this is my day.

Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Does this draft taste different than a regular beer?

How do the Texans spell draft? -----> D-L-I-N-E

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

AOL FanHouse asked all of the NFL writers to do a draft grade of the teams we cover. I gave the Texans a B: NFL FanHouse Draft Grade: Houston Texans

We were supposed to say what was good and bad. They should have a summary page of all the draft stuff a little later on the NFL FanHouse page.

I put links to player information on all the players at the beginning of the post.
Old 04-29-2007   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
A. i was blissfully ignorant of most of the players in this year's draft ...
At least you admit it. Most of them are ciphers to me too.
Old 04-29-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if you count Schaub as a pick ... it's a B .

Okoye will start and maybe Bennett so with Schaub thats 3 starters .

Jones in the 3rd is described as high risk / high reward so he's a wait and see .

The safety from Stanford ... well his best asset is he's smart ... so if the Texans get on Team Jeopardy we're set .

Frye had a good combine ... maybe he can be developed .

Studdard and the Kansas State guy ... if they make it's gravy .

It's always funny how some teams pick guys that you've never considered . I hope our guys are right ... I don't want another Charles Hill experience .
Old 04-30-2007   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
It's always funny how some teams pick guys that you've never considered .
Yeah, and when they do, everyone throws their hands up with the "I know more than they do" routine. Really gets old.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

For what it's worth, I gave it a C. Just a cr*p shoot anyway you look at it. The only one I see who stands a chance at being an immediate impact player is Amobi. The rest, including Schaub, are big fat ??????marks!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
For what it's worth, I gave it a C. Just a cr*p shoot anyway you look at it. The only one I see who stands a chance at being an immediate impact player is Amobi. The rest, including Schaub, are big fat ??????marks!!!
That's funny. Last year at this time, DeMeco Ryans was big fat ?????mark.
Charles Spencer . . . who is Charles Spencer? And Owen Daniels? Who the hell is this Owen Daniels guy? And Wali Lundy? Who is Wali Lundy? Never heard of him. I've never heard of any of these guys. They'll be busts for sure.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I give it a B, with Shaub being our 2nd round pick (who gets a starting QB in the 2nd round?!).

Okoye is a pick that I think will really solidify our D-line, because you can't double-team him and Mario!
Old 04-30-2007   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMo to be fair, Schaub is not our second round pick. He is a free agent that we gave two 2nd round picks for and should be judge as an off season pick up. We can't evaluate the draft based on him being a pick. So far, I see Okoye as beneficial to the team depending on what he does. Mario did not deliver as we thought he would regardless of reasons. Is the Okoye pick in any way to salvage the choice of Williams? Our Dline will be much better, yet our secondary may not have gotten better. The corner was rated #90 in top 100 list I downloaded in February and per the H. Chronicle will compete with Fletcher a free agent pick up. If the safety makes the team as a starter, I will be pleasantly surprised. This draft could go either way.
Old 04-30-2007   #18
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's funny. Last year at this time, DeMeco Ryans was big fat ?????mark.
Charles Spencer . . . who is Charles Spencer? And Owen Daniels? Who the hell is this Owen Daniels guy? And Wali Lundy? Who is Wali Lundy? Never heard of him. I've never heard of any of these guys. They'll be busts for sure.
What you say is very true, we DIDN'T know squat about most of our draft picks last year. They turned out fine, all seven of them are still with the Texans. It's still a cr*p shoot. Rick Smith seems to know his stuff, and has done some homework, so maybe all of them will be keepers, maybe not. Personally, I hope Jacoby Jones is the return guy we have been needing for a long time. Nothing would thrill me more than to see him take it to the house the first time he gets his hands on the ball. BTW: I never said I hadn't heard of any of those guys, nor did I call any of them a bust.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #19
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I give them an A+.

My reasoning:

1) Not one of the players they selected had already been selected by another team.
2) Not one of the players they selected were dead.
3) They didn't select anyone twice.
4) All of the players they selected came from college.
5) They selected all of the players within the alloted time.

Very solid draft, they did their homework and 1 & 2 definitely show that the Texans did their homework, right up until each pick.
Old 04-30-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I give them an A+.

My reasoning:

1) Not one of the players they selected had already been selected by another team.
2) Not one of the players they selected were dead.
3) They didn't select anyone twice.
4) All of the players they selected came from college.
5) They selected all of the players within the alloted time.

Very solid draft, they did their homework and 1 & 2 definitely show that the Texans did their homework, right up until each pick.
Thats funny and gets and A+

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read