Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-29-2007   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Offensive Line in the Draft

Well, another year gone by, another draft without an impact OL pick. Are there any decent OL prospects left on the 2nd day?

I love the Okoye pick, but it's just trying to see the good teams pick OL and we continue to let it go, whatever the circumstances.
Old 04-29-2007   #2
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

yes there are plenty of vestile guys going into day two josh beekman, mike jones, and many others
Old 04-29-2007   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we get one of them.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #4
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the one I'd like to see us take. I'm not sure what round though.

Allen Barbre

"A hard worker...Tough and plays with a physical demeanor"
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

There's nobody left that I think the fans are going to feel real good about. Definitely nothing flashy. But I don't see why we can't be happy with I-65 and Salaam.
Old 04-29-2007   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Doug Free and Josh Beekman are both still available, I thought both could easily go somewhere in the 3rd round and either would be a solid addition to our OLine.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Brandon Frye at #163. I like him a lot, I was thinking he'd be more of a 4th round pick, but he's a solid, athletic lineman that is a little unpolished at this point. However, he is solid depth for now that could play either OT or OG on our line and could develop into a starter in a year or two. He ran a 5.08 and put up 34 bench press reps at the Combine and from what I saw of him this year he looked pretty solid, albeit a little inexperienced at this point.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

we need fast guards in this system....he looks like he is fast and strong. Looks like a "swing" type to me...probably more of an interior type than a OT for us.

Quote:
Frye boasted impressive training-room numbers. Despite weighing 311 pounds, he was recently clocked at 4.77 in the 40-yard dash. He boasts a 485-pound bench press, 705-pound squat and a 294-power clean. Few collegiate offensive linemen have the leaping ability (34 inches) this impressive youngster possesses.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/frye_brandon

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Typical Denver Bronco, ah, I mean Houston Texan stadegy for drafting OLineman, get 'em on Sunday. Maybe the biggest attraction of the ZB system ?
I was surprised that Levi Brown was drafted 5th overall, but the Cardinals thought he was worth it and left some real good prospects on the Board.
I wonder, would the Texans have taken Brown if he'd made it to #10 ? I don't think so.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Typical Denver Bronco, ah, I mean Houston Texan stadegy for drafting OLineman, get 'em on Sunday. Maybe the biggest attraction of the ZB system ?
I was surprised that Levi Brown was drafted 5th overall, but the Cardinals thought he was worth it and left some real good prospects on the Board.
I wonder, would the Texans have taken Brown if he'd made it to #10 ? I don't think so.
The Texans would not have taken Brown at #10, especially with Amobi Okoye there. Brown isn't an ideal fit for our system, and as you mentioned the ZBS typcially drafts OLinemen later. I was a little surprised that Levi went #5 (although I think he could have gone #9 to the Dolphins or maybe #8 to the Falcons), but at the same time he is a good fit there. He is a prototypical OT for the system that Whisenhunt will run. He may end up being better at RT for them. At RT he would usually be matched up against the opposing team's SDE so he wouldn't have to worry as much about the speed rushers, plus he would be blocking Leinart's blind side, where you want your most talented OLineman, which he should be for them.
Old 04-29-2007   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Studdard and Frye

What to do with Studdard and Frye? Do the Texans really need another Guard? Pitts and Weary are doing well. The two problems I saw were Center and LT. My guess is that they are giong to put Frye in with I-65 and Salaam and see who wins. (I kinda hope Frye wins at this point.) Although I like Studdard, I'm not sure why he was taken, unless one of the options is to move Weary to center if somebody goes down.

My initial reaction, though, is that the Texans just drafted two guys for the kicking team.
Old 04-29-2007   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
What to do with Studdard and Frye? Do the Texans really need another Guard? Pitts and Weary are doing well. The two problems I saw were Center and LT. My guess is that they are giong to put Frye in with I-65 and Salaam and see who wins. (I kinda hope Frye wins at this point.) Although I like Studdard, I'm not sure why he was taken, unless one of the options is to move Weary to center if somebody goes down.

My initial reaction, though, is that the Texans just drafted two guys for the kicking team.
I've heard Studdard can play C, and Weary be able to as well, so Studdard gives us decent depth on the interior line. Frye should be able to play RT and either OG spot, maybe LT as well, so he is good depth and a potential future starter.
Old 04-29-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post

my reaction was the opposite....I see it as the way we should be drafting for the zbs....take later day prospects that fit your system and groom them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read