Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2007   #21
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan
Default Re: Jacoby Jones

what do u mean, jacoby is so fast i will be surprised if on a hot route straight he doesnt burn the cb, and yea texans are my life!

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #22
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
what do u mean, jacoby is so fast i will be surprised if on a hot route straight he doesnt burn the cb, and yea texans are my life!
You would be suprised if on a hot route straight he doesnt burn the CB? Dude, it that worked teams would hire track stars to run straight routes all day and hire QBs who could throw it 70 yards. What is the point in running any route besides a go? I can't tell if your being serious or you are just being a ...which is alright...I am just confused.

I thought you were just being optimistic with some of the things you were saying earlier in the thread but this was just too odd to pass up.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #23
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan

yea i am being a homer but realistically jacoby is a speed machine and was obliviously not being serious lol

Old 09-03-2007   #24
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Some numbers on Jacoby from the combine:

Ht: 6'2.5"
Wt: 210 lbs
Arm: 34.5"
Hand: 8.125"

8.125"? Only 4 WRs at the combine had hands measured under 9".

No WR had a better broad jump than Jones' 10'9" effort.

Jacoby's 10-yard splits (1.65 & 1.67 secs) were among the slowest at the combine, and led to the former track star's average times of 4.53 & 4.64 secs 40 times.
How could you have ever doubted Jacoby????

TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #25
jaybird
Veteran

This kid is one of the best pick-ups for the Texans... fast as hell, good hands, and the kid really fires up the team. Before the Cowboys game he was the one pumping the guys up! Which is amazing for a rookie.

I doubt he'll get it, but there will be some talk on him getting the offensive rookie fo the year.
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #26
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

The main question with JJ has little to do with him and more to do with Kubiak and company. I get the feeling Kubiak is gonna kinda protect his little treasure and use him like a spark plug to pump up the team and kind of a secret weapon in the slot. I don't think he wants JJ to be the starter at WR2 any time soon. This will help and hurt JJ. It will help him develop more slowly into what he can become as a reciever. It's probably best this way, if he were the starter he would have alot more pressure on him and remember he is still a rookie, no matter how exceptional he may be.
Old 09-04-2007   #27
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I think a lot of people, myself included, were duped by the 40 times of the middle-round receivers. Jason Hill supposedly ran 4.3, but doesn't play as fast. JJ's the opposite.

Good points TK. There's also the factor of rookie burnout/hitting the wall, like Daniels said he went through last year.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2007   #28
Noblesse Oblige
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Noblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNoblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Bills Simmons, The Sports Guy (yes I know he is horrible, but I'm bored and read his article, OK?) says this of Jacoby:
Quote:
And don't underestimate the positive effects of rookie WR Jacoby Jones (aka, the 2007 Mega-Sleeper Who Isn't a Mega-Sleeper Any More After Last Week's Preseason Game)
Old 09-04-2007   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
I think a lot of people, myself included, were duped by the 40 times of the middle-round receivers. Jason Hill supposedly ran 4.3, but doesn't play as fast. JJ's the opposite.

Good points TK. There's also the factor of rookie burnout/hitting the wall, like Daniels said he went through last year.
The thing about Jacoby is that he ran slow at the combine. In the 4.5-4.6 range. But his best timed 40 is 4.24, which is INSANELY fast and really closer to what we've seen on the field.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #30
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The thing about Jacoby is that he ran slow at the combine. In the 4.5-4.6 range. But his best timed 40 is 4.24, which is INSANELY fast and really closer to what we've seen on the field.
Lucky for us, if he had run a 4.24, he may have gone in the late first or early second round.
Old 09-04-2007   #31
JohnsonFan
All Pro

we lucked out, and he has proved him self

Old 09-04-2007   #32
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we lucked out, and he has proved him self

No, he hasn't. Don't get me wrong. I think JJ is great, and will be a definite plus for our team. BUT, I'll wait until he plays against the big guys on a weekly basis, is double teamed like AJ, and has 11 ST guys gunning for him every week, before I say he has proved himself. I love his attitude, what I read about his work ethic, and think eventually he will prove to be a true leader for our team, but, he has a lot to prove yet, IMO. Do I think he is capable of doing it, ABSOLUTELY!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #33
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
No, he hasn't. Don't get me wrong. I think JJ is great, and will be a definite plus for our team. BUT, I'll wait until he plays against the big guys on a weekly basis, is double teamed like AJ, and has 11 ST guys gunning for him every week, before I say he has proved himself. I love his attitude, what I read about his work ethic, and think eventually he will prove to be a true leader for our team, but, he has a lot to prove yet, IMO. Do I think he is capable of doing it, ABSOLUTELY!!!!
I agree.

"is double teamed like AJ" -- That would be awesome for this offense.
Old 09-04-2007   #34
JohnsonFan
All Pro

he has proved him self a number 2 wideout over walter IMO

Old 09-04-2007   #35
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Quote:
he has proved him self a number 2 wideout over walter IMO
You know, I never really heard much about Walter except that Kubes wanted him #2. Was that so that JJ had more time to develop, or is Kevin a very solid receiver who we've just failed to discuss much, and we're getting sucked away in JJ hype?
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriTexan View Post
You know, I never really heard much about Walter except that Kubes wanted him #2. Was that so that JJ had more time to develop, or is Kevin a very solid receiver who we've just failed to discuss much, and we're getting sucked away in JJ hype?
Kevin's very good. He's a solid possession type of receiver. He's a vet and he knows this playbook. Matt can always trust that he'll be in the right place and he'll normally make the tough catch.

JJ has a lot of talent but he's not a #2 receiver just yet. He's not experienced enough and he probably doesn't really know the playbook well enough, yet. He'll grow into the #2 spot over the course of the season but right now... he's 2.5. In a 3 wide set, with Walter, AJ, and JJ, it's going to be scary for defenses.

But JJ still needs to prove he can do it in the regular season. Just like Matt does.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #37
taxman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriTexan View Post
Kevin ran a 4.43 & 4.47 in the 40 at his pro day. Never went to the combine.
Never got new media like Jones. Truth of the matter is, that if you get the new media on your side, they make you better of a player than you really are, and that is a sure way of putting pressure on yourself and taking a dive.

Kubes will be smart in keeping Jones #3 and Walter #2 just of the experience factor, and allow Jones to learn more about the NFL. It takes time. Not everyone is a Jerry Rice, and even he was not a burner, but could get open, and had hands of glue.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #38
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
yea i am being a homer but realistically jacoby is a speed machine and was obliviously not being serious lol
i hope you meant that.
Old 09-11-2007   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what it matters who starts the game at wr2. I think that Jones came in on 2nd down of the first series and played in most of the packages.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #40
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Kevin ran a 4.43 & 4.47 in the 40 at his pro day. Never went to the combine.
Never got new media like Jones. Truth of the matter is, that if you get the new media on your side, they make you better of a player than you really are, and that is a sure way of putting pressure on yourself and taking a dive.

Kubes will be smart in keeping Jones #3 and Walter #2 just of the experience factor, and allow Jones to learn more about the NFL. It takes time. Not everyone is a Jerry Rice, and even he was not a burner, but could get open, and had hands of glue.
Walter is fine as a number 2. He'd have a TD if Schaub put a little more air under the ball the KC FS knocked away. He can get open b/c he's got good speed & he's a good route runner & he's got pretty good hands. Let JJ do his thing & learn in the slot.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read