Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-28-2007   #1
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Second Round Blues

Now is when I abhore the Matt Schaub pick. Hopefully it pans out, but right now I'm looking at a lot of good players on the board who could make HUGE impacts on the team. So the way I look at it, taking Matt should do more for the team than any of these guys would have:

Rice -WR
Jarrett - WR
Houston - CB

Those would have been big fixes...definite #2 WR or a great CB to be opposite Dunta. I almost prefer the Houston pick because it would have really cemented the defense. Practically the only thing left on D would have been OLB.
Old 04-28-2007   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

you're looking at it all wrong. we drafted matt schaub in the second round, goodell just didnt announce it. think of schaub as a first round prospect who slipped. mayock breaks down his game against new england and then says one of his upsides is already having adjusted to speed and scheme of the pro team he's going to. texans get a steal at this spot by trading a second next year to move up and pick a top 15 talent in the second round.
Old 04-29-2007   #3
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
you're looking at it all wrong. we drafted matt schaub in the second round, goodell just didnt announce it.
Good way to think of it, but I'll be pissed next year when Rick Smith, apparently in a drunken stupor, wastes our #2 on a player we already have.
Old 04-29-2007   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Good way to think of it, but I'll be pissed next year when Rick Smith, apparently in a drunken stupor, wastes our #2 on a player we already have.
I still have my doubts about Schwabie boy. His stats don't make him much better than the backup quarterback we already had. But it's done already, and I wish Q-Tip the backup QB all the luck in the world. I want to be pleasantly surprised this coming season, and proven wrong in my negative opinion of him.

But in the meantime, he's still someone else's backup QB we gave up a lot for. So now we have Miami's ex-backup and Atlanta's ex-backup for QBs.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #5
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I still have my doubts about Schwabie boy. His stats don't make him much better than the backup quarterback we already had. But it's done already, and I wish Q-Tip the backup QB all the luck in the world. I want to be pleasantly surprised this coming season, and proven wrong in my negative opinion of him.

But in the meantime, he's still someone else's backup QB we gave up a lot for. So now we have Miami's ex-backup and Atlanta's ex-backup for QBs.
Anyway you look at it we were going to get stuck with either a backup or a rookie. Not to many QBs with exp out there who would be worth paying tons of money too. Personally, I wish we had kept our second round pick and gone with Kevin Kolb. Probably would have gotten him for a lot LESS money then we paid MS, and he would have been a good fit for the Texans. JMO. BUT, MS has been carrying a clipboard for MV for most of his NFL career, so we can only hope he learned something by doing that. He will have my support anyway!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Anyway you look at it we were going to get stuck with either a backup or a rookie. Not to many QBs with exp out there who would be worth paying tons of money too. Personally, I wish we had kept our second round pick and gone with Kevin Kolb. Probably would have gotten him for a lot LESS money then we paid MS, and he would have been a good fit for the Texans. JMO. BUT, MS has been carrying a clipboard for MV for most of his NFL career, so we can only hope he learned something by doing that. He will have my support anyway!!
He's probably got a clipboard full of notes on what not to do.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #7
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't know with rookie QB's how they are going to adjust to the NFL. At least with Schaub he has real game experience. At the least he knows what to do when (if) the rush gets through the OL.

I think the Texas had a very good 1st day with Okoye, Schaub and Jones.

However it was a very boring second round with no actual picks.
Old 04-29-2007   #8
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

We have similar feelings. I do agree with the FO that we needed a QB hitting his prime rather than going through the draft though. Hopefully we got the right one. I have no expectations either way.
Old 04-29-2007   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

[quote=Grams;658846]You don't know with rookie QB's how they are going to adjust to the NFL. At least with Schaub he has real game experience. At the least he knows what to do when (if) the rush gets through the OL.
QUOTE]

He steps up to make the pass. Hopefully that's enough, because it will not be an "if" statement, it will be a "when" statement.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read